Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner
By SEAN MURPHY
Associated Press Writer

EDMOND, Okla. (AP) --
Tasha Henderson got tired of her 14-year-old daughter's poor grades, her chronic lateness to class and her talking back to her teachers, so she decided to teach the girl a lesson.

She made Coretha stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."

"This may not work. I'm not a professional," said Henderson, a 34-year-old mother of three. "But I felt I owed it to my child to at least try."

In fact, Henderson has seen a turnaround in her daughter's behavior in the past week and a half. But the punishment prompted letters and calls to talk radio from people either praising the woman or blasting her for publicly humiliating her daughter.

"The parents of that girl need more education than she does if they can't see that the worst scenario in this case is to kill their daughter psychologically," Suzanne Ball said in a letter to The Oklahoman.

Marvin Lyle, 52, said in an interview: "I don't see anything wrong with it. I see the other extreme where parents don't care what the kids do, and at least she wants to help her kid."

Coretha has been getting C's and D's as a freshman at Edmond Memorial High in this well-to-do Oklahoma City suburb. Edmond Memorial is considered one of the top high schools in the state in academics.

While Henderson stood next to her daughter at the intersection, a passing motorist called police with a report of psychological abuse, and an Oklahoma City police officer took a report. Mother and daughter were asked to leave after about an hour, and no citation was issued. But the report was forwarded to the state Department of Human Services.

"There wasn't any criminal act involved that the officer could see that would require any criminal investigation," Master Sgt. Charles Phillips said. "DHS may follow up."

DHS spokesman Doug Doe would not comment on whether an investigation was opened, but suggested such a case would probably not be a high priority.

Tasha Henderson said her daughter's attendance has been perfect and her behavior has been better since the incident.

Coretha, a soft-spoken girl, acknowledged the punishment was humiliating but said it got her attention. "I won't talk back," she said quietly, hanging her head.

She already has been forced by her parents to give up basketball and track because of slipping grades, and said she hopes to improve in school so she can play next year.

Donald Wertlieb, a professor of child development at the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development at Tufts University, warned that such punishment could do extreme emotional damage. He said rewarding positive behavior is more effective.

"The trick is to catch them being good," he said. "It sounds like this mother has not had a chance to catch her child being good or is so upset over seeing her be bad, that's where the focus is."​

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
"The parents of that girl need more education than she does if they can't see that the worst scenario in this case is to kill their daughter psychologically," Suzanne Ball said in a letter to The Oklahoman.

How the F*** does this lady know the daughter is being "killed" psychologically? Is she a psychiatrist?

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it will actually BUILD HER UP psychologically. Maybe?

Even if it doesn't work, it's better to try something stupid then to do nothing at all.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's the least humiliating thing a parent could do, I'll take it.

I can only imagine what they would say if they knew of some of the disciplinary efforts my parents gave to me growing. I laugh now, but it sure wasn't funny, then...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
If that's the least humiliating thing a parent could do, I'll take it.

I can only imagine what they would say if they knew of some of the disciplinary efforts my parents gave to me growing. I laugh now, but it sure wasn't funny, then...

Agreed. :bow:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is that when other people look at situations like that, they only see a "helpless innocent child" or they think of their own children or when they were a child and think, "No child deserves this." I'll even admit, when I first started reading the article, I was thinking this exactly myself.

However, I then thought about a friend of mine who was a star baseball player when I was in high school. He struggled with his grades, skipped school often and I don't think I ever saw him in the same room with his mother without the two arguing constantly. I ran into him while visiting my dad and I truly felt sorry for him. You could tell right away that life hadn't been good to him and the only thing I could think about was how my life would have been so different had I grown up in his family instead of mine.

There are always some people out there that ordain themselves protector of all children. This feeling usually comes from events they experienced as a child where they had no control or help and feel they can make their past right by helping protect other children now. The only problem is that seeing this situation where the girl was forced to hold the sign on a street corner is only the punishment and as such, they have no idea what led to this action being taken.

When people see a child screaming their head off they immediately think the parents have not done a very good job raising them. However, when people see a parent talk tersely (aka: getting on to them) to their child, they immediately think how can they be so mean to their own child.

-Reality

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
CORETHA? What the heck were her parents thinking naming her Coretha?

No wonder the kid has problems.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to add that when you are a parent, your job is to guide your child into adulthood. The path and destination are not predefined but your actions during those first 18 years with define that eventual adult more than any therapy, government help or imprisonment will in the next 40-50 years of their life. Once your child turns 18, they are the only ones that can help themselves. Until then, it's up to you.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think it was an atrocious thing for the parent to do. I would never do that to my son, but that is just me.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Reality said:
I would like to add that when you are a parent, your job is to guide your child into adulthood. The path and destination are not predefined but your actions during those first 18 years with define that eventual adult more than any therapy, government help or imprisonment will in the next 40-50 years of their life. Once your child turns 18, they are the only ones that can help themselves. Until then, it's up to you.

We may not see eye to eye on a lot of things Reality, but on this one......

HIGH FIVE!!!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
I think it was an atrocious thing for the parent to do. I would never do that to my son, but that is just me.

It is not horrible my goodness no wander some many kids are lost now a days; how about people learning to be tough again what is up with all this pansies oh they hurt my feelings oh I am doooomed.

The kid obviously was not getting it and the parent found a way to get to her kid that seemed to work and it did not take a beating to do it.

I am so tired of this touchy feel garbage on top of making sure your kid is educated; understands what is right and wrong; you need to teach them about toughness not physical but mental toughness because when you get out in the real world it is a doggy dog eat world and they need to be armed for that. Mental toughness goes a long way after watching a person at work kill themselves after being layed-off and another have a mental breakdown because they could not cope with work stress.

Plus another thing if you want your child to do well get them have then get involved in extra activities be it sports;cub scouts; girl scout; chess team; math club what ever if they are involved they have a better chance of doing well in life.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo said:
It is not horrible my goodness no wander some many kids are lost now a days; how about people learning to be tough again what is up with all this pansies oh they hurt my feelings oh I am doooomed.

The kid obviously was not getting it and the parent found a way to get to her kid that seemed to work and it did not take a beating to do it.

I am so tired of this touchy feel garbage on top of making sure your kid is educated; understands what is right and wrong; you need to teach them about toughness not physical but mental toughness because when you get out in the real world it is a doggy dog eat world and they need to be armed for that. Mental toughness goes a long way after watching a person at work kill themselves after being layed-off and another have a mental breakdown because they could not cope with work stress.

Plus another thing if you want your child to do well get them have then get involved in extra activities be it sports;cub scouts; girl scout; chess team; math club what ever if they are involved they have a better chance of doing well in life.

To be fair do you even know what that poster would do?

Maybe he is of the mindset that instead of doing that to his child he would give the child a spanking, or some other form of punishment.

Just because he does not think it is right to do that to a child...does not mean he is a parent that shows no discipline towards his kid.

Just something to think about. :cool: