Monastery Rents Rooms For Super Bowl

PosterChild

Reaction score
PHOENIX -- Football fans struggling to find a place to stay for the Super Bowl may not be entirely out of luck: there are still beds available at the local monastery.The Benedictine nuns of Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery in Phoenix are renting out rooms during Super Bowl week for $250 a night, plus $50 extra for each additional person.

That's not an unreasonable fee, considering a nearby Super 8 Motel is charging $500 a night."It's a different twist for us in the sense that we've never opened the monastery for an event like the Super Bowl," said Sister Linda of the Benedictine Sisters of Phoenix. "It's just a different clientele than we're accustomed to."The nuns said they plan to use the money to pay for some property they purchased adjacent to the monastery.

Though the sisters won't impose a curfew, lodgers at the monastery will have to abide by a few rules: no smoking, no rowdy behavior and most importantly, no alcohol.Super Bowl fans will have to have their crazy fun elsewhere, but at least confession is conveniently located."I would think that God's got to be excited about the Super Bowl as well," Sister Linda said. "He wants people to enjoy life."

http://www.kpho.com/news/15136790/detail.html

PosterChild

Reaction score
Also, video at link for further amusement.

I wonder if they'd allow me quarter? I'm not exactly a Monk but I have seen the program before on the U.S.A. Network.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
PosterChild;1930057 said:
PHOENIX -- Football fans struggling to find a place to stay for the Super Bowl may not be entirely out of luck: there are still beds available at the local monastery.The Benedictine nuns of Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery in Phoenix are renting out rooms during Super Bowl week for $250 a night, plus $50 extra for each additional person.

That's not an unreasonable fee, considering a nearby Super 8 Motel is charging $500 a night."It's a different twist for us in the sense that we've never opened the monastery for an event like the Super Bowl," said Sister Linda of the Benedictine Sisters of Phoenix. "It's just a different clientele than we're accustomed to."The nuns said they plan to use the money to pay for some property they purchased adjacent to the monastery.

Though the sisters won't impose a curfew, lodgers at the monastery will have to abide by a few rules: no smoking, no rowdy behavior and most importantly, no alcohol.Super Bowl fans will have to have their crazy fun elsewhere, but at least confession is conveniently located."I would think that God's got to be excited about the Super Bowl as well," Sister Linda said. "He wants people to enjoy life."

http://www.kpho.com/news/15136790/detail.html

It amazes me at how much $$$$$ will be spent at the Super Bowl celebrations

seniorette

Reaction score
I read where the prostitutes are expecting to make high dollars this week during all the fun. Wonder if the Sisters will be renting any rooms to them????

PosterChild

Reaction score
seniorette;1930424 said:
I read where the prostitutes are expecting to make high dollars this week during all the fun. Wonder if the Sisters will be renting any rooms to them????

I'll look into it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
My x-wife and her now hubby live in Glendale, AZ...I wonder if she would let me stay with her for awhile during SuperBowl? :laugh2: (while her hubby is at work I could ask her, "how about one for old times sake)?

;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL

Meanwhile the Xavier Convent (a project my company is doing) is doing this :banghead: that they dragged their feet on getting financing and contracts to us.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
No alcohol? WTH?

Where I'm from, the local church hosts a 4th of July event.....and the Church operates the beer tent.

Actually, several towns do this in my area.

I always though Christianity and alcohol went hand in hand.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Vintage;1930589 said:
No alcohol? WTH?

Where I'm from, the local church hosts a 4th of July event.....and the Church operates the beer tent.

Actually, several towns do this in my area.

I always though Christianity and alcohol went hand in hand.

:laugh2:

Especially the Catholic Religion!

I was seated next to a priest on a flight one time and the stewards came around asking what we wanted to drink. Well, I did not want to offend the Priest so I asked for a Coke...and he asked for a Coke and a mini-bottle of whiskey! :eek: Plus...he had at least two more before we landed!

(i was like...WTH)...