Recap: Monday Coach PCs: Gilmore, Dak, Hoffman, TJ Bass, Damone Clark, Aubrey, Early GB Impressions

Aven8

Reaction score
Mondays and Thursdays are always the best Press Conferences with the Coaches. Q&A quick points below if you don't have time for the full streaming run.
As always, recommend you at least read bulletin points if you're an avid fan, because a lot of arguments on forums that horse's mouth settles quickly.
Notes: Audio from reporters hard to hear this time. Most details from Mac and DQ. Bones & Schotty very quick summaries. Listen for more details.

COACH MAC

• Dak's first playoff game against Green Bay?
    • Me and Dak have talked about it, and now that Dak is in same offense, can understand it better, and what Aaron R was doing. We spend 25-30% more time on end of game situations than previous years. Many games today come down to one play or last series. Carried over a lot of that from Green Bay to Dallas.
  • Free Time and Playoffs?
    • Playoff is time that a Coach or Player must be selfish with their time. We want that tightness and commitment. Started last night on the plane. I'm answering honestly.
    • You think you're always going to Playoffs, but that's not reality. 30 years, I've only been to one Super Bowl. Older coaches and players always express this reality to younger players. Prepare, you don't know what future will bring.
  • Green Bay preparation?
    • Green Bay has new faces. Especially secondary. Spending all morning learning their new personnel and matchups including Jordan Love.
    • Playoffs are playoffs. I feel we are where we need to be. But veteran vs young, anything can happen. They've earned the right to be here. Doesn't matter if youngest team.
    • Green Bay defense. Known their DC for a long time. A lot of carryovers from last year. They play a lot of guys so getting locked into it.
  • Injury updates?
    • Encouraging news on Gilmore. Better than we anticipated. We'll see how he feels Sunday.
    • Tyler Smith, better idea on Wednesday. Limited right now.
  • Dak?.
    • Everyone plays differently. But we have a tight QB room. Dak is in rhythm, Cooper and Trey play big part of that too. End of day, I'm calling, he's hauling, as Dak likes to say. We put in extra time in camp. I was concerned about this with amount of time needed but OC and QB have worked out nicely.
    • Thursday night meetings are best guage with me and Dak. We bond, and talk about life.
  • Assistant Coach Promotions?
    • Great to see your staff recognized. Ultimate team game. We follow guidelines like normal.
  • Kicker?
    • Had to give him one more opportunity. Very important. Block was unfortunate because there was a breakdown. Only thing we know now is Brandon is human.
DQ

• Tackling?
    • We don't want those bad tackling games. Like Buffalo. Even though we didn't win in Miami, there were improvement markers I saw that we needed to meet for postseason. I feel we are ready to fight.
  • Green Bay impressions?
    • I've seen Jordan Love progress from beginning to now. He's very impressive with deep ball and explosive plays.
    • Strong running game last few weeks and with play action. 2 good backs and good line. Can also get it to perimeter. They stay consistent with system with both backs. Will have to tackle well.
    • Blitzes can be tough with Love since he can back-pedal and still rip ball. My first memory of that was Donovan McNabb. He was unique with pressure and moving back and still moving ball. If you don't have to step up and hitch and throw, you have a special advantage.
    • HC Matt Lafleur was on my staff. Proud of him. Did good job handling bumps. Tremendous job.
  • Stephon?
    • He's extremely important. Must get strength and motion back though. If there is a way, he will find it. He's that type of competitor. We are encouraged by first results.
    • No, I didn't breathe into a paper bag when he went down. You plan for this. That's why you see us rotate guy so much in practice.
  • Turnovers?
    • I thought we would have some in Miami because of our execution but saw it with Washington. Proud of Jourdan Lewis and D Wilson and how well they are playing now. Dawg competitors will always come out, those 2 are built for it.
    • Turnovers, they hang together, and they come back. Weeks of tough, ugly games. LVE, Diggs, Overshown, adversity from injuries. D has had to fight and adjust to overcome that. 3 guys with significant play time and team adjusts.
  • Regular Season vs Playoff?
    • Margin of victory is always closer. Aggressive and tackling execution at highest level. Guys stayed consistent on it yesterday even with their rushing.
    • Must be on point with these close games. Execution no room for error.
  • The Catch Game?
    • I just remember GB and DAL were excellent teams and would determine if we were on road or away for NFC Championship game.
  • Damone Clark progress?
    • One thing I feel from him is speed. Especially outside plays. It's when he's best. He's gotten stronger. Microcosm of that group. Ups and downs but persisted. Learn from mistakes. He's perfectionist but must also let it loose and he has done that.
  • Raheem Morris, played with your former OC Kyle Shanahan. Washington interviewed him.
    • I've known him for long time. He is one of the very best connectors. He was defensive coach, and we made him receivers coach. Not many people can do that.
BONES

• Blocked FG was a nice rush. Knocked one guy down, pulled another out and hit the chute. We have to clean up.
  • Miss, there was nothing to see. Aubrey told me only had 2 misses this year. The other one he ended up making. He is matter of fact. No need to comfort him. He told me what happened. I had no thoughts of "here we go again." I don't ever feel that Brandon mentally goes there. (when asked if felt he was going to do what Maher did last year)
  • Like basketball, you want to finish with a made shot. Completed the FG.
SCHOTTY

• Our routine this year on Friday Meetings: Whomever scores TD, must pick someone who helped them get there. Both of them sign football on Friday meeting. And they put it away where we can see it. Very cool to see the linemen and even coaches brought up there. Special group we have. Selflessness and special bond. True brotherhood. Honestly.... 23+ years in the league, never seen in this strong.
  • One that surprised me was Brandon Cooks brought up Will Harringer, quality control coach. He's been on my team before, he stays later than anyone. He had been working on a play, always trying to design new ones, and Cooks scored with it, and chose Harringer.
  • Want meetings interactive. We give them 3 bulletin points. When meeting over, we ask them what were bulletin points? One guy I know ALWAYS writes down every bulletin point is Dak Prescott. Doesn't change. May seem like little thing, but he is consistent. Doesn't change. Consistency of his energy and messaging. Phenomenal competitor.
  • Brock one of those guys that loves football. Enforcer mentality. Will always be ready. He practiced as center most of week. Cool thing though was other players talking about his confidence. TJ we talked a lot about already, practiced for it all week. Never know when it's your time.

Really cool to hear him talk about GB and what Rogers was thinking at end of games. Explains why they were always ready at the end of games against us…….

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mondays and Thursdays are always the best Press Conferences with the Coaches. Q&A quick points below if you don't have time for the full streaming run.
As always, recommend you at least read bulletin points if you're an avid fan, because a lot of arguments on forums that horse's mouth settles quickly.
Notes: Audio from reporters hard to hear this time. Most details from Mac and DQ. Bones & Schotty very quick summaries. Listen for more details.

COACH MAC

• Dak's first playoff game against Green Bay?
    • Me and Dak have talked about it, and now that Dak is in same offense, can understand it better, and what Aaron R was doing. We spend 25-30% more time on end of game situations than previous years. Many games today come down to one play or last series. Carried over a lot of that from Green Bay to Dallas.
  • Free Time and Playoffs?
    • Playoff is time that a Coach or Player must be selfish with their time. We want that tightness and commitment. Started last night on the plane. I'm answering honestly.
    • You think you're always going to Playoffs, but that's not reality. 30 years, I've only been to one Super Bowl. Older coaches and players always express this reality to younger players. Prepare, you don't know what future will bring.
  • Green Bay preparation?
    • Green Bay has new faces. Especially secondary. Spending all morning learning their new personnel and matchups including Jordan Love.
    • Playoffs are playoffs. I feel we are where we need to be. But veteran vs young, anything can happen. They've earned the right to be here. Doesn't matter if youngest team.
    • Green Bay defense. Known their DC for a long time. A lot of carryovers from last year. They play a lot of guys so getting locked into it.
  • Injury updates?
    • Encouraging news on Gilmore. Better than we anticipated. We'll see how he feels Sunday.
    • Tyler Smith, better idea on Wednesday. Limited right now.
  • Dak?.
    • Everyone plays differently. But we have a tight QB room. Dak is in rhythm, Cooper and Trey play big part of that too. End of day, I'm calling, he's hauling, as Dak likes to say. We put in extra time in camp. I was concerned about this with amount of time needed but OC and QB have worked out nicely.
    • Thursday night meetings are best guage with me and Dak. We bond, and talk about life.
  • Assistant Coach Promotions?
    • Great to see your staff recognized. Ultimate team game. We follow guidelines like normal.
  • Kicker?
    • Had to give him one more opportunity. Very important. Block was unfortunate because there was a breakdown. Only thing we know now is Brandon is human.
DQ

• Tackling?
    • We don't want those bad tackling games. Like Buffalo. Even though we didn't win in Miami, there were improvement markers I saw that we needed to meet for postseason. I feel we are ready to fight.
  • Green Bay impressions?
    • I've seen Jordan Love progress from beginning to now. He's very impressive with deep ball and explosive plays.
    • Strong running game last few weeks and with play action. 2 good backs and good line. Can also get it to perimeter. They stay consistent with system with both backs. Will have to tackle well.
    • Blitzes can be tough with Love since he can back-pedal and still rip ball. My first memory of that was Donovan McNabb. He was unique with pressure and moving back and still moving ball. If you don't have to step up and hitch and throw, you have a special advantage.
    • HC Matt Lafleur was on my staff. Proud of him. Did good job handling bumps. Tremendous job.
  • Stephon?
    • He's extremely important. Must get strength and motion back though. If there is a way, he will find it. He's that type of competitor. We are encouraged by first results.
    • No, I didn't breathe into a paper bag when he went down. You plan for this. That's why you see us rotate guy so much in practice.
  • Turnovers?
    • I thought we would have some in Miami because of our execution but saw it with Washington. Proud of Jourdan Lewis and D Wilson and how well they are playing now. Dawg competitors will always come out, those 2 are built for it.
    • Turnovers, they hang together, and they come back. Weeks of tough, ugly games. LVE, Diggs, Overshown, adversity from injuries. D has had to fight and adjust to overcome that. 3 guys with significant play time and team adjusts.
  • Regular Season vs Playoff?
    • Margin of victory is always closer. Aggressive and tackling execution at highest level. Guys stayed consistent on it yesterday even with their rushing.
    • Must be on point with these close games. Execution no room for error.
  • The Catch Game?
    • I just remember GB and DAL were excellent teams and would determine if we were on road or away for NFC Championship game.
  • Damone Clark progress?
    • One thing I feel from him is speed. Especially outside plays. It's when he's best. He's gotten stronger. Microcosm of that group. Ups and downs but persisted. Learn from mistakes. He's perfectionist but must also let it loose and he has done that.
  • Raheem Morris, played with your former OC Kyle Shanahan. Washington interviewed him.
    • I've known him for long time. He is one of the very best connectors. He was defensive coach, and we made him receivers coach. Not many people can do that.
BONES

• Blocked FG was a nice rush. Knocked one guy down, pulled another out and hit the chute. We have to clean up.
  • Miss, there was nothing to see. Aubrey told me only had 2 misses this year. The other one he ended up making. He is matter of fact. No need to comfort him. He told me what happened. I had no thoughts of "here we go again." I don't ever feel that Brandon mentally goes there. (when asked if felt he was going to do what Maher did last year)
  • Like basketball, you want to finish with a made shot. Completed the FG.
SCHOTTY

• Our routine this year on Friday Meetings: Whomever scores TD, must pick someone who helped them get there. Both of them sign football on Friday meeting. And they put it away where we can see it. Very cool to see the linemen and even coaches brought up there. Special group we have. Selflessness and special bond. True brotherhood. Honestly.... 23+ years in the league, never seen in this strong.
  • One that surprised me was Brandon Cooks brought up Will Harringer, quality control coach. He's been on my team before, he stays later than anyone. He had been working on a play, always trying to design new ones, and Cooks scored with it, and chose Harringer.
  • Want meetings interactive. We give them 3 bulletin points. When meeting over, we ask them what were bulletin points? One guy I know ALWAYS writes down every bulletin point is Dak Prescott. Doesn't change. May seem like little thing, but he is consistent. Doesn't change. Consistency of his energy and messaging. Phenomenal competitor.
  • Brock one of those guys that loves football. Enforcer mentality. Will always be ready. He practiced as center most of week. Cool thing though was other players talking about his confidence. TJ we talked a lot about already, practiced for it all week. Never know when it's your time.

Awesome work, thanks so much for doing these. :thumbup:

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought Hoffman and Bass played pretty well but I didn't really focus on that that often. And, it was Washington. I saw Hoffman downfield hitting people a couple of times so that's a good sign.

Reaction score
Really cool to hear him talk about GB and what Rogers was thinking at end of games. Explains why they were always ready at the end of games against us…….
I'm glad to hear they're working on it more, that has always been one of Dak's weak points against good teams IMO... and really, that's where the QB is most important, if he can't impose his will and move the team in for a score then they're going to continue losing those close games. MM also needs to work on "end of game" offense when they have a lead, that's where his offense looks horrible, the run blocking schemes don't look any better than last year.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I thought Hoffman and Bass played pretty well but I didn't really focus on that that often. And, it was Washington. I saw Hoffman downfield hitting people a couple of times so that's a good sign.
Agreed, I was very happy with their game. Our run game seemed to be back, of course maybe the competition had something to do with it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score