Montavious

31hammer

Reaction score
I know it's not much to start a new thread. But I think it should be discussed just the same. On a scale of 1-10 how fired up is Montavious going to have the defensive huddle. His energy is infectious. Everyone will feed off of him. I think he will be criticle to the DT rotation and I predict he will be starting or snaps will be split 50-50. He may even give Ferguson a shot in the ***.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Being excited about being drafted and being excited about playing aren't necessarily.

Hopefully he brings the same excitement to the field that he had in that phone interview. Let's not forget, he's a 6th round pick. If you start expecting so much from 6th round picks, more often then not, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Rack said:
Being excited about being drafted and being excited about playing aren't necessarily.

Hopefully he brings the same excitement to the field that he had in that phone interview. Let's not forget, he's a 6th round pick. If you start expecting so much from 6th round picks, more often then not, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

:hammer:

31hammer

Reaction score
Rack said:

Aren't necessarliy what?
If you watched the video of the highlights you will see he is energetic on the field. From his play and interviews you can see and hear that it is genuine it's who he is. All that enthusiasim wasn't coming just from being drafted. It's who he is.

As far as being a 6th round pick, well he was injured, and I read somewhere he could have gone as high as 4th round if only more teams had a 3-4 defense.

As far as what I expect. I expect him to play NT I expect him to get a push up the middle, occupy blocks. Allow the players around him to make plays. I know he will bring an enthuisiasm that will kick everyone's game up a notch. I realize you are a "realist" and will take a wait and see approach. In my gut I know this to be true.

groverat

Reaction score
His enthusiasm definitely lasted a while on draft day. It was in all of his interviews, not just the call with the coaches.

I wouldn't expect anything from him, but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic that he can bring some enthusiasm to a defense that really needs it. I think the same is true of Carpenter, but in a different way (Montavius seems more about fun, Carpenter seems more about taking care of business and expecting hard work and results).

I like a guy who loves his job (Montavius).
I like a guy who takes poor results as a personal insult (Carpenter).

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
31hammer said:
Aren't necessarliy what?

Meant to say "not necessarily the same thing". Didn't finish it. Was distracted.

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post cuz you obviously didn't pay any attention to mine.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
groverat said:
His enthusiasm definitely lasted a while on draft day. It was in all of his interviews, not just the call with the coaches.

I wouldn't expect anything from him, but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic that he can bring some enthusiasm to a defense that really needs it. I think the same is true of Carpenter, but in a different way (Montavius seems more about fun, Carpenter seems more about taking care of business and expecting hard work and results).

I like a guy who loves his job (Montavius).
I like a guy who takes poor results as a personal insult (Carpenter).

I quoted the guy that typed this...

and I predict he will be starting or snaps will be split 50-50

THAT is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hoping is one thing. I HOPE he becomes a starter. I HOPE he becomes a pro bowler. I HOPE he doesn't bust. I HOPE he makes the team.

But making predictions is something else entirely. That is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I didn't tell anyone not to hope for greatness.

groverat

Reaction score
I wasn't intending my post to be a rebuttal of anything you said, Rack. I agree that expecting Montavius to make a real impact on the field right away is going too far.

I certainly expect him to work really hard and at least push Pepper, though. Anything less than that and I will be disappointed in him as a player.

Once you hit the big show it's time to put in work. No more coddling like you get in college. It's a good job for us that Montavius sounds up for it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
groverat said:
I wasn't intending my post to be a rebuttal of anything you said, Rack. I agree that expecting Montavius to make a real impact on the field right away is going too far.

I certainly expect him to work really hard and at least push Pepper, though. Anything less than that and I will be disappointed in him as a player.

Once you hit the big show it's time to put in work. No more coddling like you get in college. It's a good job for us that Montavius sounds up for it.

I agree with that. I was just as excited about his enthusiasm as anyone else, but that doesn't mean he'll be a great player. I believe he has the physical tools to be a great player, and if he stays true to his word and works hard for Parcells he very well could be a great player.

But expecting him to start or go 50/50 is simply expecting too much too soon.

Plus, I haven't given up on Pepper yet. Who says Pepper won't end up starting or going 50/50?

TD'sthereason

Reaction score
Rack said:

Oh, ya mean like or 1962 6th (82) George Andrie ?? or our 1964 7th (88) Bob Hayes or our 1967 7Th (182) Rayfield Wright, or the 1968 6th (159) D.D. Lewis, i could go on and on, but you might get the picture. :bow:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TD'sthereason said:
Oh, ya mean like or 1962 6th (82) George Andrie ?? or our 1964 7th (88) Bob Hayes or our 1967 7Th (182) Rayfield Wright, or the 1968 6th (159) D.D. Lewis, i could go on and on, but you might get the picture. :bow:

*sigh*

You must have a reading comprehension problem cuz YOU obviously didn't get the picture.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I just hope he contributes in year one....not really expecting a whole lot.

devotedfan

Reaction score
TD'sthereason said:
Or Ferguson,... hell he was a 7th round pick!:starspin

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Rack was a 1st round pick in the Message Board League, and look how bad he sucks at posting now

j/k =p

CFan_53

Reaction score
I have watched him play at Louisville and he never took a play off, What you heard on Draft Day is the type of guy he is. I fully expect him to play from day one. He will give Jason the relief that he needs and I hope to take his job in a couple of years.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Rack said:

I hope he does well...

One thing that several outlets have said is that scouts went up to see Dumerville and came away wanting to know about Stanley...

His injured pec muscle prevented him from lifting for scouts...

rexrobinson

Reaction score
You got to love a guy who actually LIKES the fact that Linebackers benifit from him doing his job right while not taking the stats for himself.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'd like nothing better than for him to EARN the starting NT job. Yeah his interview fired me up but that's really only half of it. I have very little faith in Fergy.

His bandwagon has started. So far only 1 passenger, Felix360.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
I say that I'm on the Montavious bandwagon in the sense that I want him to succeed and eventually be good enough to be our starting NT... but I'm not hoping for the demise of Fergy or anything either, as I'd like him to improve and solidify his starting role on the team

I'm on the "I want every Cowboy to succeed" bandwagon

just as I am also on the "SupermanXx > All" bandwagon