Montavious

Hoov

Reaction score
I like what i've heard about the player so far.

No Doubt he has the physical tools to succeed. We'll see how he adjusts to the NFL, there is always a learning curve. I dont think its a strecth to expect him to get some time rotating behind Ferguson.

But given that Ferguson has many years experience, i really doubt he'll lose much playing time this year to a rookie unless injured.

marchetta

Reaction score
Montavious Stanley DT Louisville​

Strengths
Montavious has good size and strength for his position. He uses his hands well to shed his man and has good lateral quickness and strength to cover his gap responsibilities. Montavious has marked quickness off the snap and does have some pass rushing skills. He can be used in any kind of front 3/4 as a DT or 4/3 as a nose guard.

Needs to Improve
Montavious just needs more experience at the next level. He really is an excellent DT at the college level.

Bottom Line
I would take Montavious over Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson) any day. When you see a quality DE making a lot of plays in a game, most of the time there is a DT that is controlling the middle of the line. If not, all anybody has to do to nullify the impact of the quality DE is to run away from him. This happens a lot of times to quality DE’s in their senior years. It is not happening to Montavious, so the first thing I do is look inside and BAM! There he is right in front of your eyes -- all 6’2’ 321lbs for the world to see, a dominating DT. I don’t have a clue where this kid will go in the draft. I am always amazed that there aren’t more of them that are first rounders. This kid has first round, Pro Bowl talent. He is as good as any of the first round picks in the last few years, so it will be interesting to see where he will be rated and in what round he is taken. If your team picks him, you’re going to get a hell of a player.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CFan_53 said:
I fully expect him to play from day one. He will give Jason the relief that he needs and I hope to take his job in a couple of years.
Are you Montavious? :D

But I think his enthusiasm can only help, too. A lot of times I think that stuff is overrated -- look at Glover, who was a stud but wasn't overly talkative. But I have to admit that I thought Willie Blade's enthusiasm helped the 2003 defense a little... He was one of the few guys out there high-fiving and pumping everyone up. Maybe Stanley will have the same kind of impact while being a lot better player. He's definitely got the right frame for the job, and IIRC I read somewhere that scouts thought he'd been getting by on natural strenght to this point and really hadn't hit the weights as hard as he could. So he could still add some strenght and a few more pounds of good weight.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd like nothing better than for him to EARN the starting NT job. Yeah his interview fired me up but that's really only half of it. I have very little faith in Fergy.

His bandwagon has started. So far only 1 passenger, Felix360.
I'm with you Hos. I hope he earns himself a job and is ready to take over when Fergi is done. And maybe take over before Fergi is done since I too have little faith in Fergi who is not really a NT…more of a DT type.

Anyway, Stanley should make the team since his competition for the #2 spot is a UDFA with only 1 year of experience; they should start off on fairly equal footing (for the record I hope they both make the team). After that I think he will get some reps in rotation and hopefully will push Fergi next year or certainly the year after.

I'm not on his bandwagon as far as calling for him to start but I am definitely walking along beside it calling encouragement.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I like Stanley a whole lot. I think there's a very good chance that he'll contribute this season. I do like Pepper too, so I hope we find a way to keep both players on the team.

Stanley is perfect for our NT spot and he should be able to give Fergie a rest when he needs it. I also think he has more talent than a 6th round pick... his injury and the fact that more teams don't play the 3-4 worked against him. He has some talent though, and his work ethic and overall attitude should help him in the pros.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Stanley is going to be a Cowboy for a long time. Great pick. Pepper made plays all training camp last year and opened some eyes. Is there room for all three, Fergy, Mountain and Pepper? I hope so. How many DT's and DE's do you think make the roster?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd like nothing better than for him to EARN the starting NT job. Yeah his interview fired me up but that's really only half of it. I have very little faith in Fergy.

I agree that overall the biggest weakness (not worst starter - that is whoever plays FS) of this defense right now is probably Jason Ferguson and that is a bad weakness to have in a 3-4 defense. I don't know if Johnson is big enough to handle the load and Stanley is only a rookie. We really need Fergy to step up for at least one more productive year.

I fear the big issue is Fergy is really meant to be a NG in a 4-3 defense, not a NT in a 3-4 defense. We brought in the wrong player to fill this void - best guy available last year was Pat Williams but he never played for BP before, unfortunately.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:
Stanley is going to be a Cowboy for a long time. Great pick. Pepper made plays all training camp last year and opened some eyes. Is there room for all three, Fergy, Mountain and Pepper? I hope so. How many DT's and DE's do you think make the roster?

I wonder what they will do with Johnson if Stanley shows enough to be the backup NT? Maybe they'll give him some snaps at DE which is where he played at TC last year.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Hoov said:
I like what i've heard about the player so far.

No Doubt he has the physical tools to succeed. We'll see how he adjusts to the NFL, there is always a learning curve. I dont think its a strecth to expect him to get some time rotating behind Ferguson.

But given that Ferguson has many years experience, i really doubt he'll lose much playing time this year to a rookie unless injured.

Of all the positions in the 3-4, nose tackle is the one with the shortest learning curve. It is the most physical and least mental position on the field.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'm definitly rooting for Montavious. He sounded like what one of us would have sounded if we got drafted! I think/hope we got ourselves a bargain picking him where we did. Fergy has to step it up this year in my opinion and hopefully Montavious will push him and get some playing time.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I beg your pardon..... I was on this kids bandwagon from the moment I heard the phone conversation on "THe Ticket" moment after he was drafted.

31hammer

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
I say that I'm on the Montavious bandwagon in the sense that I want him to succeed and eventually be good enough to be our starting NT... but I'm not hoping for the demise of Fergy or anything either, as I'd like him to improve and solidify his starting role on the team

I'm on the "I want every Cowboy to succeed" bandwagon

just as I am also on the "SupermanXx > All" bandwagon

I am not looking for the demise of Fergi either. I think he has not pushed himself after signing that big contract. I think Stanley, will light a fire under Jason. It's been a year the dust has settled after the signing now it's time to go to work, because if Jason slacks this year, Stanley will step right in.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I beg your pardon..... I was on this kids bandwagon from the moment I heard the phone conversation on "THe Ticket" moment after he was drafted.
Read in that thread. I started the wagon.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
marchetta said:
Montavious Stanley DT Louisville​

Strengths
Montavious has good size and strength for his position. He uses his hands well to shed his man and has good lateral quickness and strength to cover his gap responsibilities. Montavious has marked quickness off the snap and does have some pass rushing skills. He can be used in any kind of front 3/4 as a DT or 4/3 as a nose guard.

Needs to Improve
Montavious just needs more experience at the next level. He really is an excellent DT at the college level.

Bottom Line
I would take Montavious over Marshmallow Man (Gabe Watson) any day. When you see a quality DE making a lot of plays in a game, most of the time there is a DT that is controlling the middle of the line. If not, all anybody has to do to nullify the impact of the quality DE is to run away from him. This happens a lot of times to quality DE’s in their senior years. It is not happening to Montavious, so the first thing I do is look inside and BAM! There he is right in front of your eyes -- all 6’2’ 321lbs for the world to see, a dominating DT. I don’t have a clue where this kid will go in the draft. I am always amazed that there aren’t more of them that are first rounders. This kid has first round, Pro Bowl talent. He is as good as any of the first round picks in the last few years, so it will be interesting to see where he will be rated and in what round he is taken. If your team picks him, you’re going to get a hell of a player.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)
How the hell did he last to 182? IMO, we STOLE him. That's 2 DL's in 2 years. :D

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Parcells drafted Ferguson as a NT to play in his 3-4, that is his best position. Parcells doesn't want heavy NTs because they lack stamina, he made Ferguson get down to 310-315 and that is most likely the weight Stanley will be told to play at. Ferguson suffered an ankle sprain in camp, I think that slowed him down some and I think the LBs were more of the problem anyway. Dat going down and then Singleton. Fujita looked lost with no competent backup and Shanle played so poorly they started giving Fowler more playing time.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
If you were in the chatroom on draft day, the Stanley bandwagon started started at about round 4. :mule:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Here is a write up on him from the Patriot's site on sleepers in the draft sound like a huge find.

Montavious Stanley, Louisville – Stanley is an underrated prospect at defensive tackle, probably because Elvis Dumervil overshadowed him at Louisville. While Dumervil got all the sacks, Stanley was a big reason why. He is such a force inside that most teams had to double-team him and that allowed Dumervil to beat one-on-one blocking. Stanley is a powerful run defender who does a really good job at shedding blocks. He tore his pectoral muscle late last season but he appears to be fully recovered. Watching him on tape, he makes a lot of plays in the backfield, especially against the run. At 321 pounds, Stanley has the size and playing style to play nose tackle in the NFL. For a middle-late round pick, Stanley offers a lot of upside and could turn into a really good pro player.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I was right there beside cbz40 so this bandwagon started awhile back