Montrae Holland's performance?

jeff

Reaction score
I haven't seen any information about how Holland did on Thursday.... It seems like the O-line played better and didn't see any major mistakes from LG position.... What is the consensus from the zone board...?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He missed at least one pass block and got knocked back a few times. But over all he did ok. We had good pass protection most of the time. They did some max blitzes we missed on and Romo got knocked down. Brad would've taken at least two sacks IMO.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
jeff;2450982 said:
I haven't seen any information about how Holland did on Thursday.... It seems like the O-line played better and didn't see any major mistakes from LG position.... What is the consensus from the zone board...?

Kosier to IR right after the game ? Last week Phillips wanted to wait for a second medical opinion. Now he is gone without one. I think that says something about Holland's performance.

All in all i think we have found something here. From what i have seen in the game i like him. Give him some time to get used to the other players and i think Kosier may have lost his spot.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I was impressed. Saw him blast his guy and into the second level on a couple occassions. Myself, didn't see him get knocked back but I didn't watch him on every play. However, I did make an effort to watch him often. He's a load. Went head to head well. Didn't notice too many moves by the DL, tho, so can't say as how he'd do against a finnesse/speed rusher. JMO, of course...........

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TwentyOne;2451017 said:
Kosier to IR right after the game ? Last week Phillips wanted to wait for a second medical opinion. Now he is gone without one. I think that says something about Holland's performance.

All in all i think we have found something here. From what i have seen in the game i like him. Give him some time to get used to the other players and i think Kosier may have lost his spot.

I think the same thing.

Next year Kosier comes back as the #1 reserve lineman on the team.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
TwentyOne;2451017 said:

Let's wait a few games for that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I went back and watched the game and payed extra close attention to Holland.

I was extremely impressed. Especially considering the production we were getting out of him in his 1st game of the year.

I watched Kosiers games from when he got back and Holland vs Kosier from the little i've seen is not even close. Holland looks like he is the much better player.

Holland was stoning his guy at the point of contact on thursday in pass blocking and when he got locked onto his man in run block he not only would get his guy blocked but he would get very good movement as well.

Barbers 1st touchdown was a thing of beauty on Hollands block as well.

For his 1st game I expect him to get even better.

Kosier going down hurt me at first but after watching him, as of now, I believe we have upgraded.

We'll find out more vs Pittsburghs zone Blitz scheme and Casey Hampton.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He did whiff on one pass block that I remember. DT went right by him on a bull rush swim move and pressured Romo into throwing the ball way to quickly on a third down play and we had to punt. That's just one play so I'm not down on him at all. Overall the team had great pass protection. Holland wasn't perfect and he got pushed back more than once.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jobberone;2451062 said:
He did whiff on one pass block that I remember. DT went right by him on a bull rush swim move and pressured Romo into throwing the ball way to quickly on a third down play and we had to punt. That's just one play so I'm not down on him at all. Overall the team had great pass protection. Holland wasn't perfect and he got pushed back more than once.

Yes I remember that play as well. It was right when Aikman and Buck were actually bragging about him.

You're not going to win every single battle in the NFL but overall he easily won his battle Thursday and played a heck of a game.

I liked Holland coming out of FSU. I thought he would be better than what he is.

Im interested to see what kind of player he becomes next year after getting an offseason with Coach Juraszek under his belt.

You can already tell they've been pushing him to get into shape.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CATCH17;2451068 said:

He ain't packing no six pack, but he didn't look that fat for an OL. He also seemed to hold up for the whole game. He is world's better than Proctor. We should look to develop another backup OG/C next year so we can ditch Proctor as he has no business being on the field in the NFL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CATCH17;2451068 said:
Yes I remember that play as well. It was right when Aikman and Buck were actually bragging about him.

You're not going to win every single battle in the NFL but overall he easily won his battle Thursday and played a heck of a game.

I liked Holland coming out of FSU. I thought he would be better than what he is.

Im interested to see what kind of player he becomes next year after getting an offseason with Coach Juraszek under his belt.

I can't predict who is going to be our starting LG next year. I'm glad they think Holland is capable. It's likely he's a better road grader than Kosier. As long as Romo can stand back there and pick apart any team then I'm happy as heck. You don't have to run to win in this league anymore.

MichaelWinicki;2451076 said:
No.

We're not. :D

Who is we. :D

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I thought he did well, for his first time out there this year.

The one time I noticed him really getting whipped was right when Buck and Aikman had just finished talking about Dallas acquiring him.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Nate was commenting on Irvin show on ESPN, that seemed like Holland got bit tired at the end of game. Nate says he is a Above Average Player, but needs to be more conditioned to be that.

He said he like he was. When Nate was conditioned he was really good, but when he wasn't he wasn't good, according to him.

I personally didn't pay that much attention in fourth quarter, but obvioulsy the middle blizting were being effective though. So I expect Pittsburgh to do the same. So Garret probably has to do Roll outs and Toss plays to counter that most likely.

Reaction score
CATCH17;2451068 said:

Never was such a truer statement uttered...

Eskimo

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2451091 said:
Nate was commenting on Irvin show on ESPN, that seemed like Holland got bit tired at the end of game. Nate says he is a Above Average Player, but needs to be more conditioned to be that.

He said he like he was. When Nate was conditioned he was really good, but when he wasn't he wasn't good, according to him.

I personally didn't pay that much attention in fourth quarter, but obvioulsy the middle blizting were being effective though. So I expect Pittsburgh to do the same. So Garret probably has to do Roll outs and Toss plays to counter that most likely.

This is to be expected though as he has hardly been playing all-year. The only thing that gets you in game shape is actually playing regularly.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451095 said:
This is to be expected though as he has hardly been playing all-year. The only thing that gets you in game shape is actually playing regularly.

Yeah, that was my thought when I heard him too. But it was funny how Nate was saying Montrae looks like him from behind etc.

He does need to be at least above average to have a good game against Steelers. If not forget running, they wont be able to even pass against Steelers.

But if Cowboys can put up 21 points against Steelers and our D plays as it has been playing, than Cowboys should win.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Much better than Procter. That's the important thing. Especially with Kosier done for the year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He seems to have some tenacity like Columbo, I like the guy:D