Montrae Holland's performance?

true_north

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2451112 said:
Much better than Procter. That's the important thing. Especially with Kosier done for the year.

That would be a welcomed development. We needed an upgrade over Procter.

sago1

Reaction score
Kosier is a pretty good LG and he's also very valuable since he can play both OG positions & I also believe he can play RT in an emergency. Would hope the coaching staff might consider giving him snaps at center just to see if he could be a pretty good backup behind Gurode. Would mean Proctor's gone. Of course I also hope that next year we see heck of a lot more of McQuistan; it's time we find out if he's at least a viable backup at one of the OL positions. Would also like to see a lot more of that 4th round OT we drafted back in 07. Thought the coaching staff was high on him; if he's any good he needs to get on the field. Either he's Adams successor or he's not which means we must pick up a darn good LT very soon.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
sago1;2451184 said:
Kosier is a pretty good LG and he's also very valuable since he can play both OG positions & I also believe he can play RT in an emergency. Would hope the coaching staff might consider giving him snaps at center just to see if he could be a pretty good backup behind Gurode. Would mean Proctor's gone. Of course I also hope that next year we see heck of a lot more of McQuistan; it's time we find out if he's at least a viable backup at one of the OL positions. Would also like to see a lot more of that 4th round OT we drafted back in 07. Thought the coaching staff was high on him; if he's any good he needs to get on the field. Either he's Adams successor or he's not which means we must pick up a darn good LT very soon.

From what I have seen of McQuistan, thats one wasted pick again. I guess not a high pick, so no loss there. But definite loss in development time. Maybe he will develop next year, but he has shown nothing so far.

Doug Free is the only who has shown even little bit potential, although seemsl like this year, he regressed a bit, in preseason. He needs to probably bulk up a little, to play LT if thats what they intend to have him play in future.

Eskimo

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2451219 said:
From what I have seen of McQuistan, thats one wasted pick again. I guess not a high pick, so no loss there. But definite loss in development time. Maybe he will develop next year, but he has shown nothing so far.

Doug Free is the only who has shown even little bit potential, although seemsl like this year, he regressed a bit, in preseason. He needs to probably bulk up a little, to play LT if thats what they intend to have him play in future.

I think McQuistan can play RT but he doesn't have the feet for LT and he doesn't have the knee bend to play OG.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451220 said:
I think McQuistan can play RT but he doesn't have the feet for LT and he doesn't have the knee bend to play OG.

Heck no way he can play RT. He sucked against 2nd and even 3rd teamers when he did in pre-season, in case people forgot pre-season already. I Really not sure why he is still on the team, since he has shown nothing. Unless he is a good practice player like Courtney Brown, but tanks in games.

Eskimo

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2451222 said:
Heck no way he can play RT. He sucked against 2nd and even 3rd teamers when he did in pre-season, in case people forgot pre-season already. I Really not sure why he is still on the team, since he has shown nothing. Unless he is a good practice player like Courtney Brown, but tanks in games.

At this point might as well bring him back for another TC.

I do remember him holding his own as a rookie in presesaon when Flo was still on the mend from the ACL so the ability is there.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451233 said:
At this point might as well bring him back for another TC.

I do remember him holding his own as a rookie in presesaon when Flo was still on the mend from the ACL so the ability is there.

You remember wrong maybe? That was Doug Free, last pre-seseaon, as rookie, holding up well against Dwight Freeny in one of the pre-season games. I am pretty sure it was Doug Free you might be thinking of, since McQuistan hasn't shown much so far. First year probably was better than this year. But I don' think he played LT for sure in place of Flozell. He might have played against 2nd or 3rd stringers though, which I am not positive about.

Nate says, problem with McQuistan seems to be, that he doesn't forget bad plays. He goes downhill once a bad play occurs, according to him.

newlander

Reaction score
EASY fellas: he had a good game, granted. But this is the SEAHAGS after all. Their dline SUCKS. Let's see how he does against Pittsburgh before we get the annointing oil out.

Sincerely,

BP

Eskimo

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2451245 said:
You remember wrong maybe? That was Doug Free, last pre-seseaon, as rookie, holding up well against Dwight Freeny in one of the pre-season games. I am pretty sure it was Doug Free you might be thinking of, since McQuistan hasn't shown much so far. First year probably was better than this year. But I don' think he played LT for sure in place of Flozell. He might have played against 2nd or 3rd stringers though, which I am not positive about.

Nate says, problem with McQuistan seems to be, that he doesn't forget bad plays. He goes downhill once a bad play occurs, according to him.

No, this was when McQuistan was a rookie back in 2006 and before we drafted Free. Flo was pretty inactive in the preseason games coming off his ACL repair and we trotted McQ out at LT.

I think Newton is colourful but his insight into the game is lacking as a commentator. Maybe weeded out his cerebrum?

RoadRunner

Reaction score
I thought he did just fine. THe line gave Romo all day to throw till the Seahawks started bringing corner blitzes in the second half.

I thought Holland did well overall.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Holland played about a thousand times better than Proctor. I was amazed at how well he did, frankly. His first game ever with his new team and he more than held his own.

You can expect steady improvement from game-to-game also, as he learns to play within the scheme. He will learn his teammates nuances and tendencies, and they'll learn his.

If we are able to make it to post-season play, I expect our OL to really start to blossom by that time.

I honestly wondered about that trade... but now after seeing Holland play for Houck, I'm thrilled with it.

Is he better than Kosier? Right now, I'd say he played almost as well as Kyle. He is definately a better player though and he should be more complete than Kosier ever was within a few more games.

JMO, of course.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
jeff;2450982 said:
I haven't seen any information about how Holland did on Thursday.... It seems like the O-line played better and didn't see any major mistakes from LG position.... What is the consensus from the zone board...?

He looked very good IMO. "comfortable" is probably a better word. He fit right in nicely.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451532 said:
No, this was when McQuistan was a rookie back in 2006 and before we drafted Free. Flo was pretty inactive in the preseason games coming off his ACL repair and we trotted McQ out at LT.

I think Newton is colourful but his insight into the game is lacking as a commentator. Maybe weeded out his cerebrum?

Hmmm..He might have done his first year Ok, don't remember that well 2006. But last year Doug Free did play LT in place of FLozell though. And, no, Newton was right on money about McQuistan.

YOu better re-watch the tapes if you have of Pre-season of McQuistan play. Or maybe you can do some search on this board. Most were really dissappointed with how McQuistan played, including me.

Anyway, I believe what Nate said, since it co-incides with his play I saw in Pre-season. ANd his insight is pretty good, whether you like it or not.

Eskimo

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2451737 said:
Hmmm..He might have done his first year Ok, don't remember that well 2006. But last year Doug Free did play LT in place of FLozell though. And, no, Newton was right on money about McQuistan.

YOu better re-watch the tapes if you have of Pre-season of McQuistan play. Or maybe you can do some search on this board. Most were really dissappointed with how McQuistan played, including me.

Anyway, I believe what Nate said, since it co-incides with his play I saw in Pre-season. ANd his insight is pretty good, whether you like it or not.

I'm not really enamoured with McQ, but I do remember him showing well as a rookie. If he's not ready to replace Columbo next year, I wouldn't mind trying to move him to Miami for a second day pick. He was a BP favourite.

burmafrd

Reaction score
McQ seems to have definitly regressed; as has Free. Once again I have to question if Houck has lost his touch. Of course both of them are more the quick zone block types then the maulers that Houck favors. Maybe he just cannot do well with that type of player.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What is up with our backups on the OL. I thought Proctor was serviceable. Holland looks at least as good and likely better. I'm still having a hard time with the Flozell thing and no backups playing.

If those guys aren't good enough to play better than a one armed Flozell then I've got problems with that. Not saying that's it.

What is the inside scoop on these backup OL we never seem to see in a game?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
McQuistan and Free are not the answers.

Get ready to draft on the offensive line. I think it is our biggest need.

Ramon Foster OT/G 6-6 325 Tennessee

The Cowboys have been in Knoxville scouting this year. Look for this guy. He is playing RT now, and he has played guard. I think they would jump all over him if they have a chance or can get the value. This guy is a real good player.

They need a:

OT/G (a future starter)
OT
C/G (back-up)

burmafrd

Reaction score
We need to groom a real Tackle prospect for sure. ANd a good center backup. I think Kosier or Holland (whoever loses the camp battle next year0 will be fine as a backup guard. Proctor is a waste of space and so is Berger. sadly McQ and Free look like busts.
I think its clear that we will now pay what is needed to resign colombo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We can't just let Proctor go because he does give us flexibility on our Depth Chart and he is our back up center as well.

We need to groom someone to take over that backup center spot.

I don't think you can just replace that position without keeping Procter longer.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I frankly think that after next camp Proctor is GONE. Or at least I hope so.