Moore Betta Offense - Rams Twist

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I may be way off here but isn't that the point of audibles?
Get set. QB sees something he likes or doesn't like. Calls audible. That's exactly what audibles are for. Initiate changes to take advantage of what the defense is showing them or giving them.

15 seconds left on the play clock is a long time for defenses to change looks. So the lining up quick parlor trick is easily defused. Most teams take their time line up slowly and give themselves about seven seconds to call an audible. Not giving the defense time to shift.

Plus that's what all the motion is for on the offensive side of the ball. Before the defense can move around and have the offense calling audibles. The offense will move around making the defense reactive instead of proactive.

So the OC trying to read the defense for the QB pretty much kills all audibles. IMO...That's the kind of stuff you see in high school. So to see that in the NFL means the coach is a control freak or he just doesn't trust his QB.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Offense and Goff wasn't what it was the 2nd half of the season for two reasons:

1. Lost Cooper Kupp his big play WR and best WR
2. Lost Gurley which was the focal point of the offense

Goff made the big leap once he had great coaching and quality players around him. Like ANY QB, you need to be surrounded by quality talent to do your job.
They were figured out. Honestly even if you are not a football fan that follows sports other than Cowboys this was a big topic all the way to the Superbowl. Goff looked loss on what to do because McVay was no longer able to make the adjustments for him.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Why couldn't other teams figure out his offense sooner?

Why can't Garrett ever figure out anything?

None of these guys are perfect.

They're also dealing with players who would all have to learn execute under this new tactic mid season. Maybe McVay didn't think they were up to it.

This year, I expect McVay to fold this in to what he's doing.
Why couldnt other teams figure out the West Coast offense sooner in the 80s? Why couldnt other teams figure out the Bears defense sooner in the 80s? Takes time as it does with anything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They were figured out. Honestly even if you are not a football fan that follows sports other than Cowboys this was a big topic all the way to the Superbowl. Goff looked loss on what to do because McVay was no longer able to make the adjustments for him.

There is always some figuring out. But you have your theory and I have mine. Im going with Goff losing his two best offensive weapons.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
There is always some figuring out. But you have your theory and I have mine. Im going with Goff losing his two best offensive weapons.
Its not a theory on my part. This was highly reported last season as being the case and the proof was how the play of Goff deminished.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its not a theory on my part. This was highly reported last season as being the case and the proof was how the play of Goff deminished.

So other people told you what to think?

And these other people did they mention losing kupp and Gurley?

Do you know who those players are? Their stats before they got injured?

Fire407

Reaction score
I just think the Rams got more conservative. In the championship game Saints fans were told to be extra loud to make it harder for Goff. Immediately after the blown pass interference call the Saints still took a 3 point lead with under two minutes to play. Goff led the Rams to a tying field goal and then a winning field goal. Even though the Saints probably would have won if the interference call were made, they still had a great chance to win just by holding on to the lead.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I see. It does not say the Rams but it was the same strategy that the Rams used last season. Sorry I just assumed most folks would know that.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/...hat-rams-play-calling-is-cheating-or-immoral/

This article is basically claiming that McVay is reading the defense and then calling the play or calling a play, then reading the defense and then calling the audibles (changes to the play).

I've watched the Rams vs Cowboys and Rams vs Patriots (SB) games repeatedly.

It's obvious and fairly consistent when Goff is finished with the audibles and is getting ready to start the play.

Defenses can easily change their alignment between the time Goff calls the play/audible and when the ball is snapped.

McVay coaches from the sideline (not the booth). The view of all players from there is limited.

I like the idea of the Cowboys running plays early while the headset is still active; however, it's just a very small advantage because only the QB has the headset. If the QB calls an audible, the defense knows that he called an audible and they can change their alignment. If the entire offense had headsets then it would be a much different concept.

Scotman

Reaction score
Of course we should.

Being stagnant and predictable is what we need to avoid.

Getting up to the line and snapping the ball immediately is a very good thing but don't do it all the time.

The offense should control the tempo and use different sets of tempo throughout the game.

This is like highschool stuff and I can't believe we're having a discussion about this with a pro team but that is how poorly our offense has been ran.
I thought the same thing. Even if we made every play predictable...WHY couldn't we at least make the snap count unpredictable?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So other people told you what to think?

And these other people did they mention losing kupp and Gurley?

Do you know who those players are? Their stats before they got injured?
No I observed what was being reported and saw that it was true.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I just think the Rams got more conservative. In the championship game Saints fans were told to be extra loud to make it harder for Goff. Immediately after the blown pass interference call the Saints still took a 3 point lead with under two minutes to play. Goff led the Rams to a tying field goal and then a winning field goal. Even though the Saints probably would have won if the interference call were made, they still had a great chance to win just by holding on to the lead.
Absolutely.....because they were figured out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No I observed what was being reported and saw that it was true.

Did you see the reports where Kupp and Gurley got hurt or did you miss those? Do you even know who those guys are?

So you listened to the reports and then noticed that he was playing worse. Did you notice that Kupp and Gurley were out or did you need a report for that too?