Moore compounded the Nooch problem

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe Dak made Moore last year.

Let's stipulate that Nooch was terrible. But a quality OC doesn't compound the problem that puts the QB and the team into bad situations. We had Philly on their heels early in the 3rd quarter and were running it down their throats. So what does Moore do? Go into his college bag of tricks and run a play that hadn't fooled Philly the first time you tried to run.

Cost us like 10 yards, made it a long FG for Greg the Leg and Philly ended up with the ball at midfield and scored a TD to take the lead.

It was such a horrendous call in that situation. And that wasn't the only questionable call he made all night. I wonder how long a leash he has with McCarthy?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Let's stipulate that Nooch was terrible. But a quality OC doesn't compound the problem that puts the QB and the team into bad situations. We had Philly on their heels early in the 3rd quarter and were running it down their throats. So what does Moore do? Go into his college bag of tricks and run a play that hadn't fooled Philly the first time you tried to run.

Cost us like 10 yards, made it a long FG for Greg the Leg and Philly ended up with the ball at midfield and scored a TD to take the lead.

It was such a horrendous call in that situation. And that wasn't the only questionable call he made all night. I wonder how long a leash he has with McCarthy?

Calm down, Rowdy. Tonight was a lost cause before the opening kickoff.

Sydla

Reaction score
Calm down, Rowdy. Tonight was a lost cause before the opening kickoff.

You would have thought so, but there we were, up 2 with the ball around the Eagles 30 and them on their heels and boy wonder goes back to his Boise State days and calls a dumb reverse/pass to Wilson that doesn't fool anyone. Like it didn't fool them in the first half when we ran it.

Just a stupid play call that really hurt the team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running so many trick plays takes a lot of time from practice and developing timing. It also tells your team that you are desperate and don't think you can win the game. Very disappointing game plan. I stated that in the 1st quarter, not after the game. Pathetic on the part of Moore and MM.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There were 3 or 4 boneheaded plays like that tonight. Right when the Cowboys seemed to be on the verge of gaining momentum and putting the E-Gals down, some completely unnecessary trick play was called.

AtomicDog

Reaction score

I dunno, Moore had the no. 1 offense in football yards last year. Thats not bad. We were on record setting pace until Dak got hurt. And you wanna complain about an offense run by a rookie qb.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I totally agree with you. Listen, Nooch is pretty terrible but it is no excuse for the offensive coordinator to roll in with literally zero game plan. Typically when you are starting a QB that #1 does not know the playbook and #2 is not accurate in the slightest, as a coach you simply must come up with ways to get easy yards. No one here expected us to drop a 40 piece on Philly, but I think it was reasonable enough for us to expect to move the ball better than we did. What you do to help a limited QB is run bootlegs, lean on the run game, screens, etc. Moore did these things at times and wouldn't you know... WE MOVED THE BALL. However whenever we started to find success, Moore would inexplicably call an absolute boneheaded trick play or drop back slow developing pass that would totally kill momentum and drives.

What I find so disturbing is that this has been a reoccurring theme for the Dallas Cowboys the last decade. I cannot remember the last time that we had a coach that was able to get a little more than what was expected out of players. Whenever we lose even a single player at a key position like QB, LT, LB, etc the team absolutely falls apart. You look around the league and plenty of coaches maximize their players skills. If Lamar Jackson landed with the Dallas Cowboys he would already have been written off and out of the league. Harbaugh designed the offense to get the most out of Jackson's skill set. The Dallas Cowboys coaching staff could never manage to pull this off. We would be dropping him back like Tom Brady and let him get ripped up.

I think it is time to take the clipboard away from Moore. He simply has proven time and time again that he has no game awareness and has killed countless drives with inexplicably bizarre calls given the context of the situation. Just my two cents and I would love to hear some other opinions, but our inability to adjust and find at least a little success when one of our starters goes down is absolutely unacceptable.

CelticPunk

Reaction score
I am always amazed at the constant complaints about Dak and Kellen Moore. I hope everyone realizes those have been the two main things that have actually gone right for us over the past 12 months or so.

Moore had to be creative this game and that's the only reason we kept the Eagles defense somewhat honest during the first half.

Sydla

Reaction score
I dunno, Moore had the no. 1 offense in football yards last year. Thats not bad. We were on record setting pace until Dak got hurt. And you wanna complain about an offense run by a rookie qb.

We churned up a lot of yards playing catch up this year. Moore's offenses had a lot of slow starts this year (turnovers were a factor, in fairness, in some games too).

And yes, even with a bad QB, you can have an OC call a good game and give his team at least a puncher's chance. Calling that reverse in that situation is just a dumb, college level play call right there. Why run it when Philly is struggling to stop your run game at that point?

Sydla

Reaction score
I am always amazed at the constant complaints about Dak and Kellen Moore. I hope everyone realizes those have been the two main things that have actually gone right for us over the past 12 months or so.

Moore had to be creative this game and that's the only reason we kept the Eagles defense somewhat honest during the first half.

There's a time and place to get "creative". That wasn't the spot. And at the end of the day, what happened? The play failed and we cost ourselves field position and a FG. Further, we tried to run the play earlier in the game and Philly was completely not buying it. So why did we think it would suddenly work the 2nd time, running basically the exact same play?

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I guess "Keeping them honest" means running trick plays that lose 10 yards every single time you run them and kill drives.

Proof

Reaction score
You would have thought so, but there we were, up 2 with the ball around the Eagles 30 and them on their heels and boy wonder goes back to his Boise State days and calls a dumb reverse/pass to Wilson that doesn't fool anyone. Like it didn't fool them in the first half when we ran it.

Just a stupid play call that really hurt the team.

and yet we were up by 2 on their 30 with them on their heels. How’d that happen?