Moose on Cowherd

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You know one thing I miss about Jason Garrett, and it's only one thing, is JG did pay attention to the offensive line. He put a lot of emphasis on drafting o linemen. Everything else about JG sucked but he did value the offensive line. I miss that.
True...but Mike McCarthy has drafted Olinemen as well during the 2 years he's been here: C Tyler Biadisz, T Josh Ball and C/G Matt Farniok. That's not including the signed undrafted ones or those brought in via free agency. The problem is Joe Philbin hasn't coached them up to become better contributors so far.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Good point by Cowherd too on the NFL turning into the NBA with so many rules favoring the QB.

Only the elite QB teams have the best shot and becomes the NBA with so many teams not close because they don't have the star talent at the right position.

I believe in this so much I think if Dak doesn't work out this year, you rebuild at QB. Don't have time to wait. Get a franchise guy.
Dak is a franchise guy. Dak just passed for roughly 4,450 yards, a franchise record 37 TDs, only 10 INTs and a 104.2 passer rating.

What more do you want? What exactly are you looking at?
:huh:

plymkr

Reaction score
True...but Mike McCarthy has drafted Olinemen as well during the 2 years he's been here: C Tyler Biadisz, T Josh Ball and C/G Matt Farniok. That's not including the signed undrafted ones or those brought in via free agency. The problem is Joe Philbin hasn't coached them up to become better contributors so far.
I agree Joe Philbin hasn't coached them up but none of them were 1st rounders. In the previous regime we got Tyron, Martin and Frederick all in the first, or in Frederick's case 2nd, but we traded out of the 1st and got him. If I'm remembering things right. Anyway point is we haven't made the same commitment to the offensive line as we did before. But one thing I'm hoping for is due to the quality of play we didn't need to use our premium picks once they were established. Now I'm hoping we do draft offensive linemen 1st due to the poor quality of play. Our offensive line is going to have to be a well oiled, all pro machine for Dak and Zeke to have success.

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak is a franchise guy. Dak just passed for roughly 4,450 yards, a franchise record 37 TDs, only 10 INTs and a 104.2 passer rating.

What more do you want? What exactly are you looking at?
:huh:
I'll field this one. I want to start by saying this is not an anti Dak post. I'm going to answer the question as objectively as I can. First off I absolutely hate the term "garbage time stats". That's a BS term IMO. I'm basing that opinion off of 2 games. The '94 NFCCG when Troy and company fell behind the 49ers 21-0 in the 1st quarter. Troy and Irvin say that this is the one of the games they are most proud of cuz they kept battling back. Troy and Irvin put up high stats but never really threatened to win the game. According to some that would be considered garbage time stats. Another game is the Steelers playoff loss a season ago or 2 seasons ago against Cincinnati. Big Ben fell behind early and play his guts out to bring his team back. That's not garbage time stats that being a competitor. So I really hate it when anti Dak fans say he puts up garbage time stats.

So with that being said what I want to see from Dak, or my answer to your question of what more can he do? My answer is reading defenses and making all the throws. Dak puts up a lot of stats when the defense is being predictable. So when the defense is in prevent Dak has a basic idea of how their playing. What I want to see in order to switch to being a Dak fan is can he move the ball when the defense is not being predictable? That's what I'm looking for. Moving the ball, having command of the offense when the game is close and the defense is giving him different looks. Now to be fair to Dak, early in the season he was doing that. Late in the season he regressed. So as an anti Dak guy I am holding hope that his calf and shoulder injury was worse than reported and he plays like he did early in the season. I still have a flicker of hope cuz I'm a Cowboys fan and you got to have hope. Sorry that was so long but I hope I gave an objective answer.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'll field this one. I want to start by saying this is not an anti Dak post. I'm going to answer the question as objectively as I can. First off I absolutely hate the term "garbage time stats". That's a BS term IMO. I'm basing that opinion off of 2 games. The '94 NFCCG when Troy and company fell behind the 49ers 21-0 in the 1st quarter. Troy and Irvin say that this is the one of the games they are most proud of cuz they kept battling back. Troy and Irvin put up high stats but never really threatened to win the game. According to some that would be considered garbage time stats. Another game is the Steelers playoff loss a season ago or 2 seasons ago against Cincinnati. Big Ben fell behind early and play his guts out to bring his team back. That's not garbage time stats that being a competitor. So I really hate it when anti Dak fans say he puts up garbage time stats.

So with that being said what I want to see from Dak, or my answer to your question of what more can he do? My answer is reading defenses and making all the throws. Dak puts up a lot of stats when the defense is being predictable. So when the defense is in prevent Dak has a basic idea of how their playing. What I want to see in order to switch to being a Dak fan is can he move the ball when the defense is not being predictable? That's what I'm looking for. Moving the ball, having command of the offense when the game is close and the defense is giving him different looks. Now to be fair to Dak, early in the season he was doing that. Late in the season he regressed. So as an anti Dak guy I am holding hope that his calf and shoulder injury was worse than reported and he plays like he did early in the season. I still have a flicker of hope cuz I'm a Cowboys fan and you got to have hope. Sorry that was so long but I hope I gave an objective answer.

:hammer:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree Joe Philbin hasn't coached them up but none of them were 1st rounders. In the previous regime we got Tyron, Martin and Frederick all in the first, or in Frederick's case 2nd, but we traded out of the 1st and got him. If I'm remembering things right. Anyway point is we haven't made the same commitment to the offensive line as we did before. But one thing I'm hoping for is due to the quality of play we didn't need to use our premium picks once they were established. Now I'm hoping we do draft offensive linemen 1st due to the poor quality of play. Our offensive line is going to have to be a well oiled, all pro machine for Dak and Zeke to have success.
I understand, but we don't need to use a 1st round pick on Oline, especially if it's for either another Center or Guard. Here is why...

Let Matt Farniok compete for the starting Center spot. I do believe he can beat out Tyler Biadasz. True, Biadisz should hopefully improve with another offseason under his belt, but I don't believe he's as strong or aggressive as Farniok can be.

Week 18 (2021): Cowboys at Eagles...go to the 9:30 minute mark (start of the 4th quarter). Check out Matt Farniok #68 at Center...

Preseason (2021): Cowboys vs Jaguars...Matt Farniok #68 plays all game at Center...Cowboys backups against mostly Jaguars starters...

The Cowboys can address the Guard position in the 3rd or 4th rounds...

LSU G Ed Ingram #70 can be had in the 3rd round...

Oklahoma G Marquis Hayes #54 can be had late 3rd or 4th round...

Cowboys should use their 1st round (#24th) pick on someone like Florida's DE Jermaine Johnson, Georgia's monster NT Jordan Davis or possibly even Alabama's WR Jameson Williams if any of those 3 were to drop and somehow still be available, but I seriously doubt any of those 3 will be available by the time the Cowboys pick in the 1st round.

So...the question becomes: who and what position do you go after with that 24th overall pick? Many like yourself are saying Oline (Center, Guard or even Tackle). I say NO WAY. Don't be wasting a precious 1st round pick on any Olineman when there are pretty good Olinemen to be had in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

If those top 3 players I previously mentioned are gone, I say trade that 24th overall pick down into the late 1st round or early 2nd round (while grabbing and extra 3rd or 4th round pick) and go after someone like Edge Rusher Ole Miss' Sam Williams: 6'4, 265 lbs, 4.46 40 yd dash, 25 bench reps @ 225 lbs.

The Cowboys seem very interested in Sam Williams. Check out what Jerry Jones said to Sam Williams:

https://247sports.com/college/ole-m...ams-has-gotten-to-know-the-Cowboys-185074875/

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

I hear you. Agreed.

Jerry should approach Kurt Warner and see if Kurt would like to become Dak's QB Coach? Or see if he's willing to coach up Dak even more right now during the offseason...in private? I truly believe Kurt Warner could help Dak become better, more knowledgeable and wiser as an overall QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moose is the best. He was a great commentator/analyst for years on fox. I guess he wanted to move on and get back into football. Jerry isn't going to hire anyone who would steal his credit in the event of success. Thats why we won't/haven't seen Troy or Moose in the Dallas front office.

plymkr

Reaction score
I hear you. Agreed.

Jerry should approach Kurt Warner and see if Kurt would like to become Dak's QB Coach? Or see if he's willing to coach up Dak even more right now during the offseason...in private? I truly believe Kurt Warner could help Dak become better, more knowledgeable and wiser as an overall QB.
Warner would be awesome. Mark Sanchez back would help Dak too.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Moose is the best. He was a great commentator/analyst for years on fox. I guess he wanted to move on and get back into football. Jerry isn't going to hire anyone who would steal his credit in the event of success. Thats why we won't/haven't seen Troy or Moose in the Dallas front office.

Don't tease me. As a fan, I would be pretty darn optimistic to wake up to the news one day that Moose and Aikman were running our front office.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I hear you. Agreed.

Warner definitely seemed to have the best analysis of Dak all season from all the media pundits. Have a whole new level of respect for that guy after watching his movie, even though that was already public knowledge.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well whoever it was I miss it and we got to get back to it.

The way Callahan left this organization, I don't think he'd ever come back to work for Jerry. Jason Garrett was just another coach he feuded with.

And Callahan is basically in high demand, once his contract ends anyways. Any team looking for an OC coach has him among the top of the list, if not top.