Moral Dilemma - Share or Steal

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Offer A
The following offer made to you will also be made to your very best friend simultaneously. Five hundred thousand dollars are at stake. There's no cell phone service; the two of you have no way to communicate with one another until it's over.

The offer: Regarding the 500K, you can either answer with one of two words "share" or "steal." If you say "share" and your best friend also says "share," you are both awarded 250K. You split the pot between you two. However, if you say "steal" and your best friend says "share," you get all 500K, but your friend gets 0. Conversely, if you say "share" and your friend says "steal," then your friend gets all 500K and you get nothing. Finally, if you both say "steal," you both get nothing.

Who is your best friend? And do you go with the word "share" or "steal"? Explain your choice.

Offer B
Same as offer A, except the other person is your worst enemy rather than your best friend. What is your strategy this time?

You don't have to say who your enemy is. However, explain your choice.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Offer A...share. Because, even if I'm wrong, my best friend will still share it with me.

Offer B...steal. Because, I'd rather both of us end up with nothing, then him getting something.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Offer A...share. Because, even if I'm wrong, my best friend will still share it with me.

Offer B...steal. Because, I'd rather both of us end up with nothing, then him getting something.

I thought the same thing. That way, no matter what my best friend gets something, and no matter what my enemy gets nothing.