More 4-3 for the Home Stretch

ravidubey

Reaction score
I think Dallas needs to inject more 4-3 sets like they did vs. Denver against New York and through the end of the year (which will hopefully be February).

This serves multiple purposes, IMO:

1) Gets more size on the field to stop the run at a time of year when stopping the run is most important. I think they can best deal with the run by playing more 4-3 with Ware at WOLB. This will be critical vs Tiki Barber, Stephen Davis, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and Stephen Jackson all coming up.

2) Gets more of the most talented and maybe deepest position on the field. Spears, Fergy, Glover, and Ellis with Coleman and Canty (and a spot of Thomas Johnson) rotating in is a strong DL.

3) Gets Ware into space. Let's face it, he's been shut down lately and could use a change-up. Ware has been foiled lately because tackles immediately find him and lock him up.

4) Limits the position with the least depth, LB, to Ware, James, and Shanle with Burnett and Fujita rotating. All are familiar with and have played the 4-3 in their careers.

5) Gets Zimmer back to the defense he likes best.

blindzebra

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I think Dallas needs to inject more 4-3 sets like they did vs. Denver against New York and through the end of the year (which will hopefully be February).

This serves multiple purposes, IMO:

1) Gets more size on the field to stop the run at a time of year when stopping the run is most important. I think they can best deal with the run by playing more 4-3 with Ware at WOLB. This will be critical vs Tiki Barber, Stephen Davis, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and Stephen Jackson all coming up.

2) Gets more of the most talented and maybe deepest position on the field. Spears, Fergy, Glover, and Ellis with Coleman and Canty (and a spot of Thomas Johnson) rotating in is a strong DL.

3) Gets Ware into space. Let's face it, he's been shut down lately and could use a change-up. Ware has been foiled lately because tackles immediately find him and lock him up.

4) Limits the position with the least depth, LB, to Ware, James, and Shanle with Burnett and Fujita rotating. All are familiar with and have played the 4-3 in their careers.

5) Gets Zimmer back to the defense he likes best.

It also allows Ware to get some plays off.

He plays nearly every defensive snap, plus there is the rookie wall.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
dline is the deepest position on the team- therefore it is only logical that the 4-3 gives us the best chance to get our best players on the field more often.

I ve been saying this since preseason=

offseason goals

1) oline
2) linebacker

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care what scheme we use as long as they execute.

We've taken some hits at DL and LB this year.

Dat is by far the hardest to replace.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
dline is the deepest position on the team- therefore it is only logical that the 4-3 gives us the best chance to get our best players on the field more often.

I ve been saying this since preseason=

offseason goals

1) oline
2) linebacker

Makes sense.

4-3 over/under schemes are good too. They use a lot of 3-4 type techniques, but get more DL on the field.

A scheme that requires playmaking LBers could sure use some playmaking LBers.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care what scheme we use as long as they execute.

We've taken some hits at DL and LB this year.

Dat is by far the hardest to replace.

I disagree.

The switch to the 3-4 took much of the responsibility off his shoulders.

I would be more concerned if we ran a 4-3 and lost him and had to insert a player like James or Shanle who would have been riding the bench all year.

With the 3-4, his responsibilities were probably cut in half.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
junk said:
Makes sense.

4-3 over/under schemes are good too. They use a lot of 3-4 type techniques, but get more DL on the field.

A scheme that requires playmaking LBers could sure use some playmaking LBers.

:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Are you banging your head at me or the LBers?

Other than Ware, who is a playmaker in the LBing corps? James has played solid, but I wouldn't call him a playmaker. Fujita has struggled. Shanle has done an admirable job, but his big plays disappeared once he started playing full time.

I'd love to have a big, fast, pass rushing LB opposite Ware. It'd make the defense real good, real fast. It'd only improve Ware's game as well.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
junk said:
Are you banging your head at me or the LBers?

Other than Ware, who is a playmaker in the LBing corps? James has played solid, but I wouldn't call him a playmaker. Fujita has struggled. Shanle has done an admirable job, but his big plays disappeared once he started playing full time.

I'd love to have a big, fast, pass rushing LB opposite Ware. It'd make the defense real good, real fast. It'd only improve Ware's game as well.
i bolded your last line because it struck me as funny, in a will rogers/george carlin kinda way - it's appears, IMO, to be a frustrating truth.