More on James Casey

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Checking out Rice's James Casey
2:37 PM Wed, Apr 22, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

As you know someone who used to occupy this space wrote yesterday the Cowboys will hold a private workout in Houston with Rice tight end James Casey, and I've been able to confirm such a meeting will take place.

As part of our draft series, I talked with Rice coach Dave Bailiff about his wide receiver, Jarrett Dillard, earlier this week. At the end of the conversation, I asked Bailiff about Casey and here's what he had to say:

"His upside, I'm not sure where his limit is. When we came in he was on the depth chart on defense. That first spring we only had four defensive linemen so we had to leave him there. I kept telling him after practices, 'I'm going to move you to offense,' but we couldn't do it then because we couldn't break a huddle without him. He would practice on defense and then after he would throw and catch as a receiver, meet with the quarterbacks. With about five games left in the '07 season he really started to make a difference offensively. He became somebody we relied on. Then this year if anyone did double Jarrett, we had James standing there in single coverage. They complemented each other well. He's the first here, last to leave type of guy. Very passionate about the game and not just playing it but his ability to influence the entire football team.

"James returned punts for us this year. That lets you know how athletic he is. I've never been around one like him. He was our backup deep snapper. He played quarterback, running back, tight end, wide out. Two years ago against Southern Miss all of our defensive ends were hurt and we asked him if he remembered any of the defense and he said, 'Give me a wrist band. I remember it all,' and he had a sack and a tackle for a loss. He was a triple major at Rice. Brilliant student."

RS12

Reaction score
They are gonna draft him and I dont have a problem with it. Think about a red zone offense with Felix, Witten, Marty B, Roy W, and Casey. Talk about mismatches! I know they have bigger needs but if they take him at 69, its hard to imagine him not improving the club based on these reports.