More Senior Bowl updates - Scott Wright

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Tuesday - January 24th, 2006
• 6:10pm Just got back from the press conference and thought I'd relay some of the highlights. Mike Nolan thinks his South squad's linebackers have been impressive. He also singled out DeAngelo Williams as a standout, felt the team has some live armed quarterbacks and thinks Garrett Mills is doing very well in his transition from tight end to fullback. Jeff Fisher is expecting a physical day of practice on Wednesday since it is the last in pads. He says his team needs to throw the ball better and the quarterbacks and wide receivers need to do a better job. He talked about Jay Cutler and said that he has all the physical tools you look for but has some bad habits that need to be broken. On the position front, Will Blackmon asked to play strictly corner while Michael Robinson is going to see some action as a slot receiver. He also said Gabe Watson has been very impressive and disruptive to the point that they almost want to take him out of drills so they can do some stuff inside. He also noted that Watson has not taken plays off, as was his reputation coming in. One last note, DeAngelo Williams is a very engaging and enigmatic guy that people just like to be around. He is a character who is always having a good time and you never see him without a smjle on his face

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
2006 SENIOR BOWL REPORTS

by Colin Lindsay, GBN Editor and Jamie Moore, GBN Chief Scout

North Practice; Tuesday morning, January 24...

This morning’s North practice got underway in real football weather – cloudy conditions, cool temps and a brisk wind – however the sun came out about a half hour into the workout to at least warm things up a tad. One can take it to the bank that the best QB at the Senior Bowl wears #6 for the North. That’s the easy part. The harder part of the equation is that Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt and Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson, easily the best two QBs in Mobile, are both wearing the same #6. And while Cutler came into the Senior Bowl as the higher rated player, Whitehurst may have an ever so slight lead between the two to date. The rangy Whitehurst certainly looks the part of a prototype pro pocket passer. Whitehurst is a long strider who sets up easily in the pocket and has a very smooth throwing motion. And Whitehurst was consistently hitting his receivers’ hands on the break in passing drills this morning. Cutler, for his part, is a little more compact than Whitehurst and not as smooth, but sets up and releases quickly, and like Whitehurst generally puts the ball where the receiver can cath it. On the other hand, Penn State’s Michael Robinson, the North’s 3rd QB, looks a little like a RB playing QB. Indeed, while Robinson likely will only work at QB this week, there is speculation that he may need to shift to RB or WR to play at the next level. Robinson has a strong enough arm, however, he is limited in terms of mechanics and accuracy.

This is not supposed to be a good draft year at WR, however, don’t tell Notre Dame’s Maurice Stovall, who may have been the best player on the field this morning. Stovall, who some observers thought might be better suited to playing TE at the next level, weighed in at a very svelte 216 pounds on Monday – he was listed at 236 – and got plenty of separation on just about every rout he ran this morning. The 6-4 Stovall is a big, physical receiver who was very smooth on the break with decent upfield acceleration. Stovall, though, had a chance to put an exclamation point on his day during 11-on-11 action, but dropped an easy pass for what would have been a big gainer after beating two defenders to get wide open. Meanwhile, Miami of Ohio WR Martin Nance showed similar skills to ND’s Stovall in that he’s a big, rangy receiver who can be physical. Nance, in fact, appeared to be considerably faster than Stovall and had that extra gear to separate deep, but didn’t appear quite as smooth coming out of his breaks. Michigan WR Jason Avant also had an interesting morning. Avant isn’t very fast, but completely lost his defender on 2-3 occasions coming out of his break. Oklahoma WR Travis Wilson, on the other hand, showed plenty of deep speed – he completely blew past a DB for a long TD early in the workout – but didn’t show much in the way of polish. On the other hand, Arizona State WR Derek Hagen really struggled; he lacked the speed and finesse to get much separation and dropped several passes when he just didn’t get his head and hands around in time. We didn’t watch the TEs much, however, both Joel Klopfenstien of Colorado and USC’s Dominique Byrd made tough catches in traffic in the 11-on-11 drills.

No question, Clemson CB Tye Hill is the quickest cover corner on the North team. Hill also showed nice flexibility backpedaling and has great recovery speed. Hill, though, did give up a number of underneath completions when he got too deep in his backpeddle and couldn’t recover. Miami of Ohio CB Darrell Hunter, on the other hand, lacked Hill’s natural fluidity; he also looks a little thick for a CB, but the speedy Hunter – he reportedly runs in the sub-4.35 range – stuck with the receiver all morning; in particular, Hunter had Oklahoma’s Wilson blanketed on a deep post off play action in the 11-on-11 action. Penn State CB Anwar Phillips, though, continued to struggle; Phillips was beaten once for a clean score on a deep pattern and didn’t look very instinctive on the underneath stuff. And Northwestern State CB David Pittman, the only non-Division 1A player in Mobile at least showed he wasn’t afraid to get his nose dirty with the big guys. Pittman broke on a couple of passes very well – and despite being under 180 pounds wasn’t shy about going after the ball in traffic – however, Pittman also was badly beaten on a couple of double moves that he probably never saw much of while at NSU. For the record, FSs Daniel Bullocks of Nebraska and Jahmile Addae had interceptions in the 11-on-11 drill.

Hit of the day – or at least the morning – came from Colorado LB Brian Iwuh, who really popped a back in a LB-on-RB blitzing drill. In that drill, unheralded Oklahoma LB Clint Ingram was almost unblockable, while D’Qwell Jackson of Maryland and Jon Alston of Stanford consistently got good pressure. Abdul Hodge of Iowa, on the other hand, really struggled to disengage and never got much penetration past the blocker.

The highlight of the morning may have been the 11-on-11 action when a pair of potential first rounders – Virginia OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanauka – went head-to-head. There weren’t enough plays for a knockout, but give the decision to Ferguson. The rangy Ferguson, the top-rated player at any position in Mobile, showed very quick feet and got great arm extension to keep himself between the QB and defender. If there is a bit of a knock on Ferguson is that he plays a little too high when blocking in space and doesn’t get great leverage on the move. For his part, Kiwanuka showed an explosive first step, but wasn’t able to disengage if he didn’t beat his man with his first move. Kiwanuka, though, did beat Boise State OT Daryn Colledge with a terrific spin move that would have been a sack had he been allowed to hit the QB. And actually other than that play with Kiwanuka, Colledge also showed solid skills at LT; Colledge consistently beat his man to the punch and locked as he kept his feet moving and arms extended. Minnesota OG Mark Setterstrom was also solid, in particular stuffing Michigan DT Gabe Watson on a passing rushing drill. Watson, in fact, wasn’t very good on the one-on-one drills, but was very disruptive in the full 11-on-11 action.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
One can take it to the bank that the best QB at the Senior Bowl wears #6 for the North. That’s the easy part. The harder part of the equation is that Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt and Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson, easily the best two QBs in Mobile, are both wearing the same #6. And while Cutler came into the Senior Bowl as the higher rated player, Whitehurst may have an ever so slight lead between the two to date. The rangy Whitehurst certainly looks the part of a prototype pro pocket passer. Whitehurst is a long strider who sets up easily in the pocket and has a very smooth throwing motion. And Whitehurst was consistently hitting his receivers’ hands on the break in passing drills this morning. Cutler, for his part, is a little more compact than Whitehurst and not as smooth, but sets up and releases quickly, and like Whitehurst generally puts the ball where the receiver can cath it.

people need to stop hating on Whitehurst man

Nors said:
Kiwanuka, though, did beat Boise State OT Daryn Colledge with a terrific spin move that would have been a sack had he been allowed to hit the QB. And actually other than that play with Kiwanuka, Colledge also showed solid skills at LT; Colledge consistently beat his man to the punch and locked as he kept his feet moving and arms extended.

I like Daryn Colledge in the 2nd/3rd

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
On the other hand, Penn State’s Michael Robinson, the North’s 3rd QB, looks a little like a RB playing QB. Indeed, while Robinson likely will only work at QB this week, there is speculation that he may need to shift to RB or WR to play at the next level. Robinson has a strong enough arm, however, he is limited in terms of mechanics and accuracy.

Sounds like how they decribe Vince Young before the Championship!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Still wouldn't surprise me to see him a Cowboy. Parcells and Belichick believe in the theory of the rare athletic big man. God only produces so many of them, so you have to take them early in the draft. He makes a lot more fast 6'0" 200 guys. They can be had later in the draft.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I hope some poor sucker drafting ahead of us falls for Watson.

I've only watched him play two times on TV...both times completely dominant. I'm curious as to why you don't think he'd work out? These guys are hard to find.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Football games are won in the trenches

Watson is a 6-3 341 anchor. Glad to see Dallas all over him just like Spears/Ware last year.

Manny Lawson went off on afternoon session too. Its rounding into form.

Inman - what exactly are you advocating in draft?

Hiero

Reaction score
Nors said:

Watson is a 6-3 341 anchor. Glad to see Dallas all over him just like Spears/Ware last year.

it's a bit iffy when he disappears half the season and then shows up like this at the senior bowl. definitely looks like he could be a first rder now though if he keeps this up.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Nors said:

I welcome him as well...even at #18. This most likely will not be a glamorous draft...infact it better not be. We need OT, NT, and LB's...]

The fact that he will be in rotation with Fergi will allow him not to be tired and to take plays off.

Hiero

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I welcome him as well...even at #18. This most likely will not be a glamorous draft...infact it better not be. We need OT, NT, and LB's...]

The fact that he will be in rotation with Fergi will allow him not to be tired and to take plays off.
I definitely would love to have a huge stud NT like Watson, but I am not sold on the guy yet.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Hiero said:
I definitely would love to have a huge stud NT like Watson, but I am not sold on the guy yet.

Fair enough...like I said I've only seen him play twice...both times very impressed. I've watched him play on TV and Fifita play in person...and IMO there is no comparison. Watson is an animal (what i've seen at least), and Fifita is nothing more then a solid rotation guy to take in the 4th or 5th round.

Fifita is like a bowling ball...short round and a little soft, with a big motor. I don't think he will be all that sucessful in the NFL.

I think the two dominant NT's are Ngata and Watson. After that...the talent falls off a lot.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I've only watched him play two times on TV...both times completely dominant. I'm curious as to why you don't think he'd work out? These guys are hard to find.

Well then maybe you watched on the rarest of times he showed up for a game. I am Michigan Fan, trust me he is lazy guy and had several issues with Coaching staff leading to his benching, because of not playing hard etc.

He is a great physical specimen and ideal 3-4 NT, but I dont think he is motivated player, or rather he is someone who plays the game for paycheck. Not worth a 1st rounder at all. Now Late 2nd or rahter personally 3rd rounder for him would be worth the gamble.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Vince Wilfork

Weight an issue, needs to improve conditioning, needs more consistency, needs to comitt to conditioning.

All I can vouch for was when I watched Watson he was dominant - the word disruptive always is mentioned in his write ups. He was always doubled.

Senior Bowl coaches contemplated pulling him from drills because he was blowing up all inside plays......

Kid showing up raedy is huge. Parcells and a Fergi roitation would be lethal and free up Spears and Canty more. Glover is a gap shooter and not a guy who can take out double teams like Watson.

Glad Dallas is on him at Senior Bowl.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Well then maybe you watched on the rarest of times he showed up for a game. I am Michigan Fan, trust me he is lazy guy and had several issues with Coaching staff leading to his benching, because of not playing hard etc.

He is a great physical specimen and ideal 3-4 NT, but I dont think he is motivated player, or rather he is someone who plays the game for paycheck. Not worth a 1st rounder at all. Now Late 2nd or rahter personally 3rd rounder for him would be worth the gamble.

OK...I can understand that. I saw a regular season game and a bowl game, both big media games, so his motivation to show up and play was certainly there.

Interesting....there is no doubt about his talent when he wants to show up though, which makes it a tough call.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
There are several Michigan fans and a few others who saw a lot of their games on this board posting about how unmotivated Watson's played, how he was benched...etc.

No one can doubt that he's dominating practice. Ask yourself if he'll be any different when there are $$$ in his pocket instead of in front of his eyes.

Watson may be the best DT/NT in the NFL in a few years if he wants to be, I just don't know if he wants to be.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
You're getting into dangerous territory here when you are talking about massive, wildly talented, over-weight DT's with motor problems. Gerard Warren, Jimmy Kennedy, Jonathan Sullivan. Even the ones who "pan out" tend to have inconsistant, up and down career (usually depending on the state of their current contract): Chester McGlockton, Daryl Gardener, Sean Gilbert.

And I would be very hesitant to use Vince Wilfork as an example of a "success".

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hiero said:
He hasn't played for Parcells yet. You don't take plays off when Parcells gets ahold of you.