Mosely: Videotape provides reprieve for Powell

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Videotape provides reprieve for Powell

04:16 PM CDT on Monday, August 23, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / ***BANNED-URL***

IRVING – On further review, maybe cornerback Jemeel Powell wasn't so bad Saturday night against the Raiders. At least that's what Cowboys coach Bill Parcells was saying Monday after watching tape of the game.

Powell gave up a 23-yard pass to Jerry Rice and an 89-yard touchdown to receiver Doug Gabriel, but Parcells said he was actually in good position to make a play both times.

"The layman would probably think it didn't go too well for him," Parcells said. "But I was pretty pleased with him. He was there to make the play. He tried to use the right technique twice. He just missed the ball."

As training camp came to a close, Powell appeared to be gaining ground on Pete Hunter at right cornerback. On Monday, though, Parcells said Hunter would be the starter if the season began tomorrow.

Parcells said fourth-round pick Bruce Thornton will get more playing time at right corner against the Titans next Monday. Thornton, who only played special teams against the Raiders, showed flashes during training camp, but appeared nervous in the 18-0 loss to the Texans.

Hunter and Thornton will split time against the Titans. In limited action Saturday, Hunter made a nice play to break up a pass in the end zone. Parcells has complained that Hunter is too "distractible" and that little things cause him to lose focus.

"We're going to have some growing pains," Parcells said regarding cornerback. "I understand that. We're not going to be perfect."

Romo runs wrong play on winning touchdown: Parcells couldn't help but laugh during his daily news conference Monday when asked about quarterback Tony Romo's game-winning quarterback sneak against the Raiders.

He said Romo was actually supposed to spike the ball in order to stop the clock. If Romo had been stopped, there wouldn't have been enough time to run another play.

"Romo communicated to the team," Parcells said. "So the team was on the same page. Unfortunately it was the wrong page."

Romo said Parcells simply gave him an "attaboy son" after the game and didn't dwell on him calling the wrong play.

Carson off to a slow start: Defensive tackle Leo Carson said his sore right knee is better, but his play is still a little rusty. After sitting out the Texans game, Carson played in the first half against the Raiders.

"It didn't go great for him," Parcells said. "But I think Leo is a pretty good player. I saw it last year. I saw him with the Chargers. I saw him in college and he's always been pretty good. I just think he needs to play and he hasn't played much. His timing is off."

Carson got pushed around inside early in the game, which allowed Raiders running backs Tyrone Wheatley and Justin Fargas to find some holes up the middle.

Cowboys waive four players: The team released defensive tackle Cedric Hilliard, guard/tackle DeMingo Graham, receiver Brandon Middleton and linebacker Jamal Brooks.

For Middleton, a former University of Houston receiver, it was the second time he'd been cut. He was released right before training camp began and then brought back a couple of days later.

Brooks was released at the end of training camp last season, but brought back for the final six weeks of the season.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
"The layman would probably think it didn't go too well for him," Parcells said. "But I was pretty pleased with him. He was there to make the play. He tried to use the right technique twice. He just missed the ball."

Has Bill been reading this board?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
He has to be........either that or he is blessed with ESP
I love the way he tosses out the word "layman" to remind the mediots how much they know. :D

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I love the way he tosses out the word "layman" to remind the mediots how much they know. :D

Yes he does have a way w/words. ;)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Videotape provides reprieve for Powell

04:16 PM CDT on Monday, August 23, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / ***BANNED-URL***

IRVING – On further review, maybe cornerback Jemeel Powell wasn't so bad Saturday night against the Raiders. At least that's what Cowboys coach Bill Parcells was saying Monday after watching tape of the game.

Powell gave up a 23-yard pass to Jerry Rice and an 89-yard touchdown to receiver Doug Gabriel, but Parcells said he was actually in good position to make a play both times.

As training camp came to a close, Powell appeared to be gaining ground on Pete Hunter at right cornerback. On Monday, though, Parcells said Hunter would be the starter if the season began tomorrow.

Parcells said fourth-round pick Bruce Thornton will get more playing time at right corner against the Titans next Monday. Thornton, who only played special teams against the Raiders, showed flashes during training camp, but appeared nervous in the 18-0 loss to the Texans.

Hunter and Thornton will split time against the Titans. In limited action Saturday, Hunter made a nice play to break up a pass in the end zone. Parcells has complained that Hunter is too "distractible" and that little things cause him to lose focus.

"We're going to have some growing pains," Parcells said regarding cornerback. "I understand that. We're not going to be perfect."

Romo runs wrong play on winning touchdown: Parcells couldn't help but laugh during his daily news conference Monday when asked about quarterback Tony Romo's game-winning quarterback sneak against the Raiders.

He said Romo was actually supposed to spike the ball in order to stop the clock. If Romo had been stopped, there wouldn't have been enough time to run another play.

"Romo communicated to the team," Parcells said. "So the team was on the same page. Unfortunately it was the wrong page."

Romo said Parcells simply gave him an "attaboy son" after the game and didn't dwell on him calling the wrong play.

Carson off to a slow start: Defensive tackle Leo Carson said his sore right knee is better, but his play is still a little rusty. After sitting out the Texans game, Carson played in the first half against the Raiders.

"It didn't go great for him," Parcells said. "But I think Leo is a pretty good player. I saw it last year. I saw him with the Chargers. I saw him in college and he's always been pretty good. I just think he needs to play and he hasn't played much. His timing is off."

Carson got pushed around inside early in the game, which allowed Raiders running backs Tyrone Wheatley and Justin Fargas to find some holes up the middle.

Cowboys waive four players: The team released defensive tackle Cedric Hilliard, guard/tackle DeMingo Graham, receiver Brandon Middleton and linebacker Jamal Brooks.

For Middleton, a former University of Houston receiver, it was the second time he'd been cut. He was released right before training camp began and then brought back a couple of days later.

Brooks was released at the end of training camp last season, but brought back for the final six weeks of the season.
:).................

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I thought the same thing while watching the game... he was there to make both plays... he will get this in time...

If he had used his left hand instead of his right hand to deflect the ball vs. Rice he would have made the play...

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i didn't get to see the game, so hearing parcells say that makes me feel better about it.

hopefully, he's not just sugarcoating.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
i didn't get to see the game, so hearing parcells say that makes me feel better about it.

hopefully, he's not just sugarcoating.

Yep, he does it all the time. Just teasing dude but I'm trying hard not to burst out laughing.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So, why is BP saying he used good technigue if he used the wrong hand?