MOSLEY: Parcells' slur causes stir

Bizwah

Reaction score
E-dog said:
Are you serious??

Are you?

Look at the context of my post!

I am glad Hitler was alive WHEN HE WAS.

In other words, I'm glad he ISN'T ALIVE NOW.

We couldn't handle him. He would kick our butts!

And, for the record, I wish he'd never been alive.

How's that?

He was an evil and terrible man.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
What is next, will he say we have a "chink" in our armour and that our linebacking core is a bunch of "gobblygook" :p

A tempest in a teapot, no doubt.

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Are you?

Look at the context of my post!

I am glad Hitler was alive WHEN HE WAS.

In other words, I'm glad he ISN'T ALIVE NOW.

We couldn't handle him. He would kick our butts!

And, for the record, I wish he'd never been alive.

How's that?

He was an evil and terrible man.

I'm glad you cleared that up. Still, you have a rather poor opinion of our military. If we fought a conventional war with the country's full support, I would certainly like our chances.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
What is next, will he say we have a "chink" in our armour and that our linebacking core is a bunch of "gobblygook" :p

A tempest in a teapot, no doubt.

My thoughts exactly... nice post canuck... oops... sorry...

Bizwah

Reaction score
Nav22 said:
Bizwah - I'm Persian, and I don't let words bother me when people use offensive slangs for middle-easterns...BUT not everyone is like us.

You see, here's my problem.

I don't care if everyone feels the way I do......No biggie.

But we're teaching our kids to get riled about every little thing. This is spawning an attitude that I think is dangerous to our country.

There are folks who are understandibly offended by racial slurs like this, and "Jap" IS a racial slur. It's an outdated and ignorant way to address Japanese people, and some Japanese people do find it offensive.

I don't think it is........Again, it's a shortened version of "Japanese".

Just like "gook", "chink", "******", "cracker", "wetback", "sand-******", etc etc. I'm not offended by this kind of stuff, and obviously neither are you, but that doesn't mean it's OK to use those words.

See........here's where you and every other PC Nut are wrong. These words DO offend me. I just think it's ridiculous that everyone goes overboard with this stuff.

The PC Nuts I've run into want to do what you just did. "Well, if this person disagrees with what terms should be a big deal to us, then they must be racist."

Untrue.......

You have to be respectful of the fact that others may be offended...as a white man in America, I'm sure you haven't felt even 1/100 of the racism that a Black or Middle-Eastern or Japanese or Mexican man has faced here. (Hell, maybe the reason anti-Middle-Eastern words don't phase me is because I haven't faced any real racism yet.)

Have I ever been insulted? Have I ever had anyone cuss me? Have I ever had anyone insult my family?

Sure......So I know what being insulted is.....I don't think a national story should be made of the fact that I'm insulted.

Maybe the "wussifying" of America has more to do with the increase in diversity, and therefore an increase in awareness which involves subtracting words/phrases from our vocab. that offends people over here. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Anyways....like others have said, he apologized, so it should be done with and forgotten. He made a mistake that I'm sure he'll learn from.

GO COWBOYS!

I have no problem with diversity. I think it's a great thing for our country. It's what makes our country....."the Great Melting Pot", "give me your tired your poor"....that type of thing....terrific.

The "wussifying" of America has nothing to do with race.....it has everything to do with our country slowly but surely turning into a country of whiny cry babies.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
dillinger319 said:
This is like some white guy saying he was going to eat some chinese food and it bothering someone of Chinese ethnicity

It is not the same thing. It would be if you said you were going to eat some chink food.

Bizwah

Reaction score
E-dog said:
I'm glad you cleared that up. Still, you have a rather poor opinion of our military. If we fought a conventional war with the country's full support, I would certainly like our chances.

Again........read my post.

I have complete confidence in our military.

I have very little for the people here at home.

You said, "if we had our country's full support".

Absolutely, we'd kick his butt.

But I think we'd be angry and denouncing Hitler......but the minute the news reports brought the casualty list back.....we'd immediately be wanting to pull out.

We'd be divided. Here, at home, we'd lose the war.

This is why I agree with Tom Brokaw about the "Greatest Generation". Those people were tough.

I'm glad they were alive when Hitler was around........maybe that's worded better.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Nav22 said:
Bizwah - I'm Persian, and I don't let words bother me when people use offensive slangs for middle-easterns...BUT not everyone is like us.

There are folks who are understandibly offended by racial slurs like this, and "Jap" IS a racial slur. It's an outdated and ignorant way to address Japanese people, and some Japanese people do find it offensive. Just like "gook", "chink", "******", "cracker", "wetback", "sand-******", etc etc. I'm not offended by this kind of stuff, and obviously neither are you, but that doesn't mean it's OK to use those words.

You have to be respectful of the fact that others may be offended...as a white man in America, I'm sure you haven't felt even 1/100 of the racism that a Black or Middle-Eastern or Japanese or Mexican man has faced here. (Hell, maybe the reason anti-Middle-Eastern words don't phase me is because I haven't faced any real racism yet.)

Maybe the "wussifying" of America has more to do with the increase in diversity, and therefore an increase in awareness which involves subtracting words/phrases from our vocab. that offends people over here. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Anyways....like others have said, he apologized, so it should be done with and forgotten. He made a mistake that I'm sure he'll learn from.

GO COWBOYS!

My sentiments exactly. Im just amazed at some of the posters responses on this subject. And Im also suprised Parcells couldnt have just said "trick plays" . To use a word that potentially could be offensive to someone was weird and unnessary to me. But he immediately recognized his mistake. Which at this point is all you can ask for.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Nav22 said:

There are folks who are understandibly offended by racial slurs like this, and "Jap" IS a racial slur. It's an outdated and ignorant way to address Japanese people, and some Japanese people do find it offensive. Just like "gook", "chink", "******", "cracker", "wetback", "sand-******", etc etc. I'm not offended by this kind of stuff, and obviously neither are you, but that doesn't mean it's OK to use those words.

GO COWBOYS!

Solid post!

Bizwah

Reaction score
Maybe a lot of PC folks are right about this issue.

I don't know.

I come from a rural town (about 8,000 people), and don't experience racism much. No, not because I'm white and we have few people of color here.

I just happen to look at people at face value.

Parcells is not a racist. He did not mean the phrase to be offensive. This is why I don't think it's a big deal.

Now, if a Neo-**** used the term. And he was intending to incite something, then I'd think of it as an offensive term.

Context is so important. We overreact to words that are often taken out of context, and whine about it. The PC crowd then jumps on board and wants to label the person as "insensitive" or "racist".

And all this time, our children are thinking, "nothing should ever happen that upsets me, if anything does, someone will surely come and do something to help me".

The world doesn't work this way.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
But we're teaching our kids to get riled about every little thing. This is spawning an attitude that I think is dangerous to our country.

I don't think it is........Again, it's a shortened version of "Japanese".

This is where you are wrong. The term is offensive to the Japanese. It's not just a shortend word, like Dan is for Danny. You can not IGNORE the fact that Japanese people are offended by this.

Bizwah said:
See........here's where you and every other PC Nut are wrong. These words DO offend me. I just think it's ridiculous that everyone goes overboard with this stuff.

The PC Nuts I've run into want to do what you just did. "Well, if this person disagrees with what terms should be a big deal to us, then they must be racist."

Untrue.......

I'm glad they offend you, as they should. Just as "jap" offends the Japanese. You should repect it as you respect the other slang terms.

Bizwah

Reaction score
viman96 said:
This is where you are wrong. The term is offensive to the Japanese. It's not just a shortend word, like Dan is for Danny. You can not IGNORE the fact that Japanese people are offended by this.

They may be offended.

I think our reaction to these things are too much.

Parcells says this, and there are people bringing up his dismissal, fines, and sensitivity training?

Whatever happened to sticks and stones?

Whatever happened to being tough?

I'm glad they offend you, as they should.

Thanks Dad. I'm glad we have people like you around that tell us when we should be offended.

On that point, when a coach uses a foul word, why can't we get as upset about that?

Why doesn't our country throw a fit about that?

Because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Just as "jap" offends the Japanese. You should repect it as you respect the other slang terms.

Again, thanks Dad.

And I think you should get your panties in a wad when you hear something that offends you.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
I was afraid of this. You try to inform some people here about the dangers of using racial slurs in and it only provokes one particular person (Bizwah) into clearly demonstrating to the rest of this board how ignorant, culturally insensitive and uneducated he is when it comes to matters of race.

You asked how do I know my opinion is the right one? It's not. There is no right or wrong opinion on this issue. If you believe or condone racism then your opinion is the "right" one. My opinion is based on the education and awareness of the dangers of racism, some of which I continue to live through.

You also state that just because you think Jap is not a racial slur it doesn't mean anything and just stands for Japanese. If you consult with unbiased resources like dictionaries, books, and other reference materials then anyone can see your argument is only a distortion of reality to fit your biased views. When I've had dozens of experiences of people screaming "Jap" to me while flipping me off, pushing me around, stealing or destroying my property, it's pretty clear that they're not complimenting me. It is obvious to me that you've never experienced this kind of thing. That is why you have no idea what you're talking about. Parcells gets this and that's why he doesn't need fines or classes, but YOU DO!! ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Didn't anyone have any family that fought in WWII? Every man that lived in the WW2 generation in my family fought in that war and they still refer to the enemy as Japs. And that's the way Parcells used it. Referring to a Jap attack. There was nothing racist about it.

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Again........read my post.

I have complete confidence in our military.

I have very little for the people here at home.

You said, "if we had our country's full support".

Absolutely, we'd kick his butt.

But I think we'd be angry and denouncing Hitler......but the minute the news reports brought the casualty list back.....we'd immediately be wanting to pull out.

We'd be divided. Here, at home, we'd lose the war.

This is why I agree with Tom Brokaw about the "Greatest Generation". Those people were tough.

I'm glad they were alive when Hitler was around........maybe that's worded better.

I sense this is going off tangent, but the justification for war is why folks in this country are divided. During WWII, the events of that war lead to only one common conclusion, and that was to fight. Our recent conflicts are not so clear in that justification, that is why we are divided. If the war is sold effectively to the public, then it will be successful. It was back then, but unfortunately, that is not the case with todays conflicts.
People today are certainly just as tough, but are more informed. Today's generation has been raised with the capability to question authority, not just blindly follow. What some see as weakness, others see as strength. Whatever the case, it is my opinion that people today would walk into a hail of gunfire without question as long as they believe the are doing the right thing.

Bizwah

Reaction score
dthahn said:
I was afraid of this. You try to inform some people here about the dangers of using racial slurs in and it only provokes one particular person (Bizwah) into clearly demonstrating to the rest of this board how ignorant, culturally insensitive and uneducated he is when it comes to matters of race.

Here it is.......someone doesn't agree with you and you merely have to label and stereotype all of us.

If you have a problem with me, then post to me directly. Don't try to label the whole board.

I guess it's ok for you to do this though........Nice, hypocrisy.

You think I'm wrong.......I can deal with it.

You don't know me, you don't know my background, you don't know what I've experienced, yet you claim to know so much about me.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Didn't anyone have any family that fought in WWII? Every man that lived in the WW2 generation in my family fought in that war and they still refer to the enemy as Japs. And that's the way Parcells used it. Referring to a Jap attack. There was nothing racist about it.

Yes, my father-in-law fought in the Pacific in WWII.

He's wasn't racist.

He didn't use insulting terms............well, maybe he did.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizwah said:
I do call it the "wussifying" of America because that's what it is.

Why let words bother you?

If terms like that bother you, big freakin deal.

This is just typical of our country today. We have lost our "toughness". I have complete confidence in our Armed Forces, it's the homefront that worries me.

We've become wimps......notice how everyone is getting "tired" of the war in Iraq because things are tough.

Thank God Hitler was alive when he was. While our Armed Forces make the Supreme Sacrifice, we at home would be calling them home.

These things are all related........we can take nothing here in America.

It's even ridiculous that people are even bringing up fines and classes.

And, I don't blame him for using a "disclaimer", people get so whiny and sensitive about the silliest things.

True it is........but how does whining about this type of thing help?

No, it wasn't dehumanizing. This is a poor assumption. Imagine you're underfire by the Japanese. You need to take out their machine-gun nest, or artillary.....Are you going to say......"We need to take out that Japanese artillary!"?

No, soldiers are taught to be efficient.....they merely shorten the phrase.

This is true, and not many Americans know about it.......but to me, this is irrelevant to our discussion. What do the hardships of Japanese Americans have to do with Parcells statement.

"Jap" mainly refers to "Japanese".......usually military.....

Useless........this is what arguments like these are.....I really don't see how getting our bowels in an uproar about it solves the problem of racism.

BTW that's "Mr. Hitler"... "Hitler" is insulting.

Bizwah

Reaction score
E-dog said:
I sense this is going off tangent, but the justification for war is why folks in this country are divided.

True.....

During WWII, the events of that war lead to only one common conclusion, and that was to fight.

Before Pearl Harbor, our country was deeply divided about joining WWII.

After PH, we declared war on Japan. Many still didn't see why we should go to Europe.

It wasn't until Hitler declared war on the U.S., that we declared war on Germany.

Our recent conflicts are not so clear in that justification, that is why we are divided. If the war is sold effectively to the public, then it will be successful. It was back then, but unfortunately, that is not the case with todays conflicts.

Most WWII vets you talk to say it was a sense of duty that compelled them to serve. They felt it was their duty to serve God and country.

It had more to do with duty than anything else.

People today are certainly just as tough, but are more informed. Today's generation has been raised with the capability to question authority, not just blindly follow. What some see as weakness, others see as strength. Whatever the case, it is my opinion that people today would walk into a hail of gunfire without question as long as they believe the are doing the right thing.

I disagree.....we let the media and Hollywood influence our opinions.....we rarely form our own opinions.

I think any of our soldiers would walk into a hail of gunfire. I do not doubt that.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
junk said:
Well, according to dictionary.com

japs
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent.

I thought he was refering to Jewish American Princess. I dunno. :confused: