News: Mosley: Sean Lee is Cowboys' most important defensive player, but this guy is right there with him

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mosley: Sean Lee is Cowboys' most important defensive player, but this guy is right there with him

1470421522-COWBOYS_FOOTBALL_51919693.JPG

Question: Who is the most important player on the defensive side of the ball right now for the Cowboys defense?

Mosley: I think Sean Lee is the most important player on the defense. If he can stay healthy, he gives you at least one elite type player. And I would have Orlando Scandrick right there with him. He's a fearless guy who gives the defense somewhat of an identity. May be the most respected guy on that side of the ball.

Question: Do you think the Cowboys have enough on their squad right now to generate enough of a pass rush to win games?

Mosley: No, I think it's pretty clear they need some help. But this is where you lean heavily on Rod Marinelli. There will be a rally cry to do it like you did it 2014 with a bunch of nondescript folks up front. Tyrone Crawford needs to be really good and live up to his contract. The rush needs to come from the middle. Other teams do it that way. You might need to bring an extra player at times. I think Scandrick's really good at that.

Question: Do you think the Cowboys not parting ways with Rolando McClain sends a bad message to the team that could come back and bite Jason Garrett?

Mosley: I think Jerry Jones has made it clear it's not as simple as just parting ways. The players probably realize it's highly unlikely he joins them on the field again. That's all that really matters.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question: Do you think the Cowboys not parting ways with Rolando McClain sends a bad message to the team that could come back and bite Jason Garrett?

Mosley: I think Jerry Jones has made it clear it's not as simple as just parting ways.
Really Mosley? I think we've covered the reason why McClain hasn't been cut yet very well in here.

Someone send him a link to the CZ. He needs to catch up. :D

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Imo Mosley is as worthless as JJT and Cowlishaw, aka Noobs who are pretty much mainstream writers now trying to appeal to the masses

RS12

Reaction score
The most important player is anybody who can consistently pressure the QB.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I agree that Scandrick is probably our second best player on defense. I think at the moment that our secondary is probably the best unit on our defense. That doesn't make me sleep well at night. It was LB before the McClain issue but LB always had a lot of question marks with it. The defense really has some issues. I think even with McClain gone that our secondary and LBers are NFL average at least. The back 7 with an elite D-line could make a great defense. Problem is the D-line is awful and by far the least talented and shallowest positions on the team.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
I agree that Scandrick is probably our second best player on defense. I think at the moment that our secondary is probably the best unit on our defense. That doesn't make me sleep well at night. It was LB before the McClain issue but LB always had a lot of question marks with it. The defense really has some issues. I think even with McClain gone that our secondary and LBers are NFL average at least. The back 7 with an elite D-line could make a great defense. Problem is the D-line is awful and by far the least talented and shallowest positions on the team.

Thing is there are a lot of unknowns about both the D-Line and the secondary, too many to be able to label either one "awful" or "great" at this point. For all we know, Irving, Tapper, Collins, Mayowa, and Thornton could come in alongside Ty Crawford and a MUCH improved Tank Lawrence and turn our D-Line from "the shallowest and least talented position groups of the team" into one of the best in the division. I know, probably sounds crazy now but guess what? Crazier things have happened, such as Demarco Murray leading the NFL IN RUSHING in 2014 and a group with a Defense projected to be one of the WORST IN NFL HISTORY being good enough to almost get to the NFC CHampionship game and even beat the Defending champ Seahawks in their home (which at the time was downright impossible).

As for the secondary, Byron Jones at FS could change things to such a degree back there that the secondary really will be the strength of the team. People have been crying for better Safety play since Darren Woodson and now, it's starting to truly look like we have the guy who can finally take over that FS spot and solidify our secondary. Obviously, a lot also hinges on our corners not named Scandrick aka MO and Carr, and if Mo can stay healthy and freakin' maintain his level of TC play, i see no reason why this secondary CAN'T be a strength...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thing is there are a lot of unknowns about both the D-Line and the secondary, too many to be able to label either one "awful" or "great" at this point. For all we know, Irving, Tapper, Collins, Mayowa, and Thornton could come in alongside Ty Crawford and a MUCH improved Tank Lawrence and turn our D-Line from "the shallowest and least talented position groups of the team" into one of the best in the division. I know, probably sounds crazy now but guess what? Crazier things have happened, such as Demarco Murray leading the NFL IN RUSHING in 2014 and a group with a Defense projected to be one of the WORST IN NFL HISTORY being good enough to almost get to the NFC CHampionship game and even beat the Defending champ Seahawks in their home (which at the time was downright impossible).

As for the secondary, Byron Jones at FS could change things to such a degree back there that the secondary really will be the strength of the team. People have been crying for better Safety play since Darren Woodson and now, it's starting to truly look like we have the guy who can finally take over that FS spot and solidify our secondary. Obviously, a lot also hinges on our corners not named Scandrick aka MO and Carr, and if Mo can stay healthy and freakin' maintain his level of TC play, i see no reason why this secondary CAN'T be a strength...

Nice read, guy...