Most important thing we need to take it to the next level

Blackrain

Reaction score
While I agree with you in total here, I also think it's a generational thing. I really don't see much toughness on many teams around the league. There are a few that have it, to a degree, but I don't think there's a team in the league right now that compares to any of the teams in the previous century, as far as toughness goes.

I can't say if it's because of the wussification of America, or the wussification of the league, but they've all been wussified nonetheless.

They are defiantly legislating the physical toughness out of the league but it no excuse for us drafting some of the most mentally weak players available and having them end up not being able to contribute

Blackrain

Reaction score
If I could select one quality I believe this team needs to take it to the next level it is this: TOUGHNESS. Physical and mental.

Sure talent, speed, scheme, coaching and some others are all good answers. We need those too. But it takes a long time to think of a Cowboys team in recent memory that was tough both physically AND mentally on a consistent basis. I have followed this team since I was a little kid in the 60s. Those teams in the 70s and 90s were tough as boot leather. Which is why our 5 SB wins happened with them. Haven’t seen much of that lately.

So why is this an ongoing problem? Why the lack of mental and physical toughness? Here’s some theories:
  • As the clear “face of the franchise”, Jerry Jones is more like a combo doting daddy and used car salesman. Most men in charge of a football organization don’t wear rose colored glasses. This leadership style at the top is too easy on the troops.
  • The stars on this team are almost all high paid now and yet they have collectively won one playoff game. Many teams don’t pay guys that kind of money if they haven’t proven anything beyond stats.

• The previous HC was soft on discipline. Garrett talked a good game, but if you see some of the quotes that came out after his firing, it was obvious few if any players feared Garrett’s authority.
So how can Mike McCarthy address this ongoing problem?
  1. OTAs and TC should have a “boot camp” feel. I believe the message needs to be sent that this team has been soft and needs to get tougher. Maybe a couple of “asthma field” moments would help. When was the last time this team wasn’t coddled?
  2. Coach Mac should publicly and privately say to this team, coaches and staff, “We never make excuses- period.”
  3. Return to the Parcells days of “no tap outs”. Instill a message that toughness and resiliency is expected, especially of the team’s leaders.
  4. Be willing to bench a guy- even a star- for loafing or showboating.
  5. Make drafting players with mental and physical toughness a priority.
I don’t know if MM will do any of these things or not. And I know this team needs to upgrade its talent at several positions. But adding toughness to this team gives it a much better chance to compete for a championship!

Good post I agree this team is soft and we need to bite the bullet and fix our Dline like we did the Oline years back with Marrinelli gone this is finally a possibility . We have had a defense that was soft up the middle and folded in big moments for so long we just began to accept it .

How many weak minded draft picks can you waste on defense and expect to win . The gambling on players with suspect mental and physical toughness needs to stop and I think Mac is going to bring this practice to a screeching halt.

A big physical presence in the middle of our defense will set the tone and make everyone better . Done with Marrinellis twinkletoed weak minded drug addicted rushmen . Marrinelli quietly did damage to this team by not establishing a tough physical identity on defense .
I am anxious to see the change !!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If I could select one quality I believe this team needs to take it to the next level it is this: TOUGHNESS. Physical and mental.

Sure talent, speed, scheme, coaching and some others are all good answers. We need those too. But it takes a long time to think of a Cowboys team in recent memory that was tough both physically AND mentally on a consistent basis. I have followed this team since I was a little kid in the 60s. Those teams in the 70s and 90s were tough as boot leather. Which is why our 5 SB wins happened with them. Haven’t seen much of that lately.

So why is this an ongoing problem? Why the lack of mental and physical toughness? Here’s some theories:
  • As the clear “face of the franchise”, Jerry Jones is more like a combo doting daddy and used car salesman. Most men in charge of a football organization don’t wear rose colored glasses. This leadership style at the top is too easy on the troops.
  • The stars on this team are almost all high paid now and yet they have collectively won one playoff game. Many teams don’t pay guys that kind of money if they haven’t proven anything beyond stats.

• The previous HC was soft on discipline. Garrett talked a good game, but if you see some of the quotes that came out after his firing, it was obvious few if any players feared Garrett’s authority.
So how can Mike McCarthy address this ongoing problem?
  1. OTAs and TC should have a “boot camp” feel. I believe the message needs to be sent that this team has been soft and needs to get tougher. Maybe a couple of “asthma field” moments would help. When was the last time this team wasn’t coddled?
  2. Coach Mac should publicly and privately say to this team, coaches and staff, “We never make excuses- period.”
  3. Return to the Parcells days of “no tap outs”. Instill a message that toughness and resiliency is expected, especially of the team’s leaders.
  4. Be willing to bench a guy- even a star- for loafing or showboating.
  5. Make drafting players with mental and physical toughness a priority.
I don’t know if MM will do any of these things or not. And I know this team needs to upgrade its talent at several positions. But adding toughness to this team gives it a much better chance to compete for a championship!
focus should be on football. just football. eat, drink, breath football. no excuses. no celebrities walking around building being introduced to the players. no celebrities and business associates brought to practice. no Jerry going to the locker room, that's for players and coaches. no GM does that. no partnership with player. let coaches decide and make all decisions on players.