Most Intriguing UDFAs?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Man, I can't post this in the fan forum because so many think that this years UDFA class is like most other UDFA classes of the past. And they couldn't be more wrong.

Yes, like every other year, the same amount will be cut. But at least the competition level is higher.

I've been digging around the bottom of the roster and it's looking pretty stout. For the life of me, I can't figure out why we didn't do more to bring in more offensive line competition, because, to me, that's the glaring weak spot on this team.

At center, and depth in general. Also, I wish we had another RB. If Zeke gets hurt, that puts too much on Pollard, which I know some would welcome. But we don't really have anyone behind him. I'm not a big fan of Malik Davis. I don't think his skillset will translate to the NFL. I think Aaron Shampklin is likely the better back, and he can return punts, kicks.

That said, we are exceptionally deep at WR now, and TE, with Hendershot and Ferguson.

Everyone is talking about Marquese Bell at safety, but I'm as impressed by Isaac Taylor-Stuart from USC. Guy has 9.61 RAS. Juanyeh Thomas is also intriguing. La'Kendrick Van Zandt is also interesting. I like the ballhawk-type players the Cowboys are coveting. It's a nice change from the Kareem Larrimore and Tony Dixon days.

Then, at linebacker, we have Storey Jackson. Everyone seems to like his highlight reel. Highlights, of course. I didn't see much on Aaron Hansford's tape. Speaking of tape, I think one of the most overlook UDFAs we picked up is Mika Tafua, defensive lineman who could add some depth on the practice squad and maybe fill-in in a pinch.

Our UDFA WR class is sick, actually. My favorite is probably Jaquarri Roberson, who is a little light at 190, but could play slot. Also, Ty Fryfogle was projected to go much higher in 2021, and sources say he hurt his draft stock by staying in college to play another year. Most people already know about Dontario Drummond since he played with Williams at Ole Miss.

For the center position, I really like James Empey at the college level. But I don't think he has the athleticism to compete in the NFL. So, we'd better hope Alec Lindstrom can get up to speed pretty fast.. That said, I know nothing about Texas A&M Commerce OT Amon Simon.. If anyone has any insight or footage, feel free to share.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I found him Pass2Run

Nice work, my friend.

Still not much to go off of.

I did watch a few Harvard games. But wasn't like their bell cow back or anything. He did make some interesting plays.

On one play, he comes out of the backfield, blocks, then sheds the guy he's blocking, gets open for a pass, and makes play.

It was a busy play. I was impressed he had so much going on and still made it all happen.

I'm low on Davis. I just can't see that guy having much success in the NFL.

I believe Markquese Bell would have been their 7th round pick if they had one.

You would probably know, since you nailed most the other picks.

On a different note, I hope Devin Harper contributes. Because they could have had Carson Strong... Underdog player, I know. But I think he's the kind of guy who plays better when the chips are stacked against him.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, I can't post this in the fan forum because so many think that this years UDFA class is like most other UDFA classes of the past. And they couldn't be more wrong.

Yes, like every other year, the same amount will be cut. But at least the competition level is higher.

I've been digging around the bottom of the roster and it's looking pretty stout. For the life of me, I can't figure out why we didn't do more to bring in more offensive line competition, because, to me, that's the glaring weak spot on this team.

At center, and depth in general. Also, I wish we had another RB. If Zeke gets hurt, that puts too much on Pollard, which I know some would welcome. But we don't really have anyone behind him. I'm not a big fan of Malik Davis. I don't think his skillset will translate to the NFL. I think Aaron Shampklin is likely the better back, and he can return punts, kicks.

That said, we are exceptionally deep at WR now, and TE, with Hendershot and Ferguson.

Everyone is talking about Marquese Bell at safety, but I'm as impressed by Isaac Taylor-Stuart from USC. Guy has 9.61 RAS. Juanyeh Thomas is also intriguing. La'Kendrick Van Zandt is also interesting. I like the ballhawk-type players the Cowboys are coveting. It's a nice change from the Kareem Larrimore and Tony Dixon days.

Then, at linebacker, we have Storey Jackson. Everyone seems to like his highlight reel. Highlights, of course. I didn't see much on Aaron Hansford's tape. Speaking of tape, I think one of the most overlook UDFAs we picked up is Mika Tafua, defensive lineman who could add some depth on the practice squad and maybe fill-in in a pinch.

Our UDFA WR class is sick, actually. My favorite is probably Jaquarri Roberson, who is a little light at 190, but could play slot. Also, Ty Fryfogle was projected to go much higher in 2021, and sources say he hurt his draft stock by staying in college to play another year. Most people already know about Dontario Drummond since he played with Williams at Ole Miss.

For the center position, I really like James Empey at the college level. But I don't think he has the athleticism to compete in the NFL. So, we'd better hope Alec Lindstrom can get up to speed pretty fast.. That said, I know nothing about Texas A&M Commerce OT Amon Simon.. If anyone has any insight or footage, feel free to share.
I'll wager that Van Zandt does not make the 53.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'll wager that Van Zandt does not make the 53.

I think you're likely right. Unless we key injuries during camp.

Secondary will be deep, if they bring Joseph along to his potential.

If I were Van Zandt, I'd still show up for camp though.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, one thing, two things, actually.

Amon Simon really looks the part. He looks like a poor man's Tyron Smith. Here's the knocks on him, other than he hasn't faced any real competition, a 2.89 RAS and generally looks stiff and green as a player.

What can you really do, though. They're doing the best they can to churn the bottom of the roster, hoping we find someone worth keeping. This guy passes the initial eye test for a potential back up.

His chances of making the team are less than one percent, by my estimate.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Hope one of the 2 centers can contribute,
We are really weak at the position and need an upgrade.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
As some time has passed, I think the most intriguing are Malik Davis, reminds me of Terrell Davis, Hendershot, and Bell.

My pet cats are Roberson and Aaron Shampklin.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm not going to post this in the main forum, but I was watching the Chargers game for the 3rd time and thought James Empey looked somewhat serviceable. Guy plays with great technique. Just doesn't look like he has a lot of power.

Also, Quandre Mosley . . . He's someone to keep an eye on. Had some good plays in the Chargers game. Has 4.3 speed.