Most Overrated and Underrated Players: Fox Sports

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
StreetCred's Blog
by: StreetCred

The Most Overrated and Underrated Players in the NFL
May 22, 2007 | 3:18PM | I was listening to the radio this morning and heard a segment about a new book by Jayson Stark called, "The Stark Truth: The Most Overrated and Underrated Players in Baseball History." One of the topics I love to write about is comparing different players. While I didn't really feel like researching almost 100 years of football to determine who is the most overrated and underrated of all time, I decided to do a list for active players today. The positions I went by were Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Offensive Line, Defensive Line, Linebacker, and Secondary. As I've stated in previous posts, I don't rate kickers and punters, because they are not football players. Without further delay, here is my list.

Quarterback

Underrated: Marc Bulger (Rams) - He has been a starter since the middle of the 2002 season. In that time, he has one season below 63% completion. He has 95 touchdowns against only 59 interceptions. He has been fairly durable, having only one season in the last four where he failed to start at least 14 games. He has three seasons of over 3,800 yards. Yet with Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Mike Martz, and all the big names that have been there since 2002, you don't hear his name as much as you should. Part of the problem is that the Rams went to two Super Bowls from 1999 to 2001. Kurt Warner had two of the best regular seasons in NFL history in that time spanned. Since Bulger took over they have won one playoff game. However, much of that can be attributed to bad coaching, an aging roster, and a poor defense. The quarterback is not the problem, evidenced by his two Pro Bowls. I like the direction the team is headed, and with a solid postseason run; Marc Bulger should look to get more attention.

Overrated: Donovan McNabb (Eagles) - I was looking at going with Ron Mexico here, but I think everyone recognizes him as a tremendous athlete, that has never realized his full potential. Donovan McNabb has gotten a lot of publicity for a lot of reasons. He led the Eagles to four straight NFC championship games from 2001-2004. He has been to a Super Bowl. He makes exciting plays with both his arm and his legs. He is a likeable player. However, when you look at the numbers, I don't see it. He has one 3,500 yard season in his career. He threw for over thirty touchdowns one time. He has a career completion percentage of 58.2% in a West Coast Offense. To his credit, he has 152 career touchdown passes to just 72 interceptions, and he is an excellent rushing quarterback. However, over the past 5 years he has managed to start over 10 games just twice, and excluding his 2004 season with TO, he hasn't thrown more than 18 touchdown passes. His value continued to plummet with the success the team experienced under Jeff Garcia. I think he is still a quality starting quarterback. However, I think people tend to lump him in with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as one of the league's elite quarterbacks. I don't think that is a reality either.

Running Back

Underrated: Brian Westbrook (Eagles) - Westbrook's problem is that he plays for a coach that loves to pass the ball, and running backs are judged by how many rushing yards they tally. Brian Westbrook is one of the most dangerous combinations of running and receiving. Since 2003, his lowest rushing and receiving total is 945 yards back in 2003. He has been over 1,200 every year since. Last year he totaled 1,916 rushing and receiving yards. He is averaging about 9.5 rushing and receiving touchdowns per season since 2003. However, he has only been to one Pro Bowl back in 2004. I think his value to the Eagles was further demonstrated by losing McNabb last season and not missing a beat. For as much experience as Jeff Garcia had, there is no way he could have done what he did without Brian Westbrook. While Westbrook is not in the Tomlinson and Johnson class, there are too many running backs mentioned before him.

Overrated: Clinton Portis (Commanders) - This pick has nothing to do with his recent comments about what happens on Ron Mexico's estate stays on Ron Mexico's estate. He is a talented runner. I'm not even basing this on being hurt last season. I just don't think he has been that effective since leaving Denver. His first two seasons in Denver were amazing. He rushed for almost 1550 yards, 5.5 yards per carry, and 15 touchdowns per season. He made the Pro Bowl in 2003. Denver was so impressed they traded him to Washington for Champ Bailey. Since then, his rushing average has dropped to just a tad over 4 yards per carry. In 29 games with Denver, he had 29 touchdowns. In 39 games with Washington, he has 23 touchdowns. He hasn't broke 300 yards receiving since he left Denver. Some would argue that injuries and coaching have caused his numbers to decline. I would argue that he was a good running back that looked great in Denver, because that is what Denver does for good running backs. Once he was removed from that element, we see what he really is. He is not a top 5 running back. Furthermore, he is playing this season to remain in the top 10 running backs. I think the fact that Washington signed Betts to an extension shows that Washington isn't as sold on him as when they traded Champ Bailey to get him.

Wide Receiver

Underrated: Donald Driver (Packers) - I'm not saying Donald Driver is in the Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, or Chad Johnson class. Donald Driver's problem is that he has played in the shadow of Brett Favre and Ahman Green. He has been a great player on a bad team the last couple of seasons. What people need to realize is that this receiver has had four 1,000 yard seasons in the last five. He has had three straight 1,200 yard seasons. He has had three straight seasons with over 80 receptions. His has yet to crack the 10 touchdown mark, although he has two seasons with 9 touchdowns. However with Green banged up the last few seasons, and no threat opposite of him since Javon Walker left, he has been the only good option in the offense. If Green Bay's running game can improve this year, and Jennings develops into a solid number two, Donald Driver should be able to do even bigger things this year.

Overrated: Santana Moss (Commanders) - I really have nothing against the Washington Commanders. I just think that if you asked people if Santana Moss is an elite wide receiver, a lot of people would say yes. His only Pro Bowl season in 2005 was a fantastic season. He had 80 plus catches, 1400 plus yards, and 9 touchdowns. Besides that, he has one other 1,000 yard season. He also had 10 touchdown catches that year. The other three seasons he started he didn't crack 900 yards and didn't have more than 6 touchdown catches. While he is very athletic and has shown glimpses of greatness, he has never been able to put it all together for consecutive seasons, something that elite wide receivers need to do. Again coaching, injuries, and quarterback shuffles have hurt him. However, I think this guy is ranked a lot higher than his production suggests he should.

Tight End

Underrated: Ben Watson (Patriots) - He doesn't get mentioned as a top tight end; mainly because of his short time in the league, the offense he plays in, and the time he shared with Daniel Graham. Ben Watson is as gifted as any tight end in football. The Patriots prefer to spread the ball around to many different players. However, he did have 49 catches for 643 yards and 3 touchdowns, with the absence of a big wide receiving threat. I think if he played on a team that involved him more in their offense, his speed and athleticism would produce bigger numbers. It will be interesting to see if the additions of Randy Moss and Donte' Stallworth help or hurt his production. My guess is that with Daniel Graham gone, and safeties concentrating on stopping the deep threats; Ben Watson is going to be seeing a lot of single coverage from linebackers and will be in store for a big year.

Overrated: Jeremy Shockey (Giants) - I'm not saying that Jeremy Shockey isn't a good football player. I'm saying that I think people like to put Jeremy Shockey in the same category as Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates. Shockey has never had a 70 catch season. He has never had 1,000 yard season. He hasn't even had a 900 yard season. The most touchdown catches he has had in a season is 7. His 24 touchdowns in 69 games do not scream elite status. To put it in perspective, Gates has 34 touchdowns in 61 games. He has a 1,000 yard plus season, and two 900 yards plus seasons. Gonzalez has 6 such seasons, including the last 4 seasons. I think the temptation is to lump these three players into the same category as superstar tight ends. I think it is clear that while Shockey is a very good tight end, Gates and Gonzalez are in a class by themselves.

Offensive Lineman

Underrated: Mark Tauscher (Packers) - He is just a very solid player ever since he was drafted. Started in 2000 as a seventh round pick. From 2002 to 2004, many people considered the Packers and the Chiefs to have the best offensive lines in football. He rarely jumps offside, and is hardly ever called for holding. He is effective both as a run blocker and pass blocker. However, he has never made a Pro Bowl. When people think of great tackles, Mark Tauscher is far from the top of most people's list. However, he has been a solid part of the solid Green Bay Packer offensive line the last 8 seasons.

Overrated: Eric Steinbach (Browns) - I wanted to put Leonard Davis here, but while he was overpaid, I don't think anyone besides Dallas considers him to be that good. This is the hardest position to pick, as offensive linemen as a whole are underrated. It isn't like the media is running around doing weekly stories about the offensive line. However, I think that for not playing in a Pro Bowl, a 7-year, $49.5 million contract (of which $17 million is guaranteed) to a guard would qualify as overrated. At least when Steve Hutchinson signed his big deal, he had helped lead the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and was coming off 3 Pro Bowl Seasons. The Bengals have yet to win a playoff game. I think Eric Steinbach is a fantastic football player. I'm just not sure he is $49 million good.

Defensive Lineman

Underrated - John Henderson (Jaguars) - I think John Henderson goes under the radar for a number of reasons. First, he plays in a small market. The Colts have been the class of that division. Defensive Tackles tend to go unnoticed, because they don't put up a lot of sacks. Also, he plays with another great defensive tackle in Marcus Stroud, who has been to 3 Pro Bowls. Make no mistake, John Henderson is a big reason whey the Jaguars have had such a successful defense the last few seasons. Henderson has played in every game since he was drafted. He actually has more sacks than Stroud. He also has more tackles. All of this despite having one less season than Stroud.

Overrated: Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (Packers) - He is probably one of the more famous names on the Packer's defense. Has a cool nickname in KGB. Anyone that has watched him play in Green Bay regrets the day the Packers gave him $39 million dollars. From 2001 to 2004 he at least registered double digit sack totals. It at least made it bearable when he was getting run over. The last two years he has 8 sacks and 6 sacks. He is a liability against the run, and not sacking the quarterback enough to justify it. The Packers had to move Jenkins to defense end on running situations to stop the onslaught teams were mounting toward KGB on running downs. He is a good situational pass rusher, who many people thought of as an every down defensive lineman. I have heard so many experts say he would be more effective if he had help on the other side. Reggie White got his teammates at least 10 extra sacks a season, just because teams were concentrating on him. I have never seen KGB make anyone better on his team.

Linebacker

Underrated: Donnie Edwards (Kansas City) - Defensive players are judged by the glamour statistics. Sacks and Interceptions. Donnie Edwards is a guy that has never had more than 3 sacks in a season. However, he has been over 100 tackles every year since 1997, or his second season in the league. The San Diego Chargers didn't have the money to keep him, but they are not happy that he is back with Kansas City, meaning they will face him twice this season. While sacks are not his specialty, he tackles well, stops the run, and is a defensive leader on the field.

Overrated: Dan Morgan (Panthers) - I'm not picking on Dan Morgan, because he is coming off serious injury. I think this is a player that was a tremendous athlete at the University of Miami, who has never translated to being a great player in the pros. The Panthers are considered to have a great defensive. When people think of the Panthers defense, they think of Peppers, Jenkins, and Morgan. The most tackles he has had in a season are 101. He has 7 sacks and 5 interceptions in 56 games. He has never scored a defensive touchdown. Yet he made the Pro Bowl in 2004. Part of the problem is that he can't seem to stay on the field. However, while I acknowledge that he has shown glimpses of being a good middle linebacker, I haven't been as impressed as many people.

Secondary

Underrated: Asante Samuel (Patriots) - Just as I don't hate the Commanders, I am not a huge Patriots fan. I just call them the way I see them. I understand that the Patriots are the best run front office in football. I also know that if they don't want to give him big money, it is probably the right move. He just finished his fourth season in the league. He is coming off a 10 interception season last year. He has been a great starting cornerback the last two seasons. He was one of the cornerbacks that were asked to step in when Ty Law left. The Patriots haven't missed a beat since then. This guy doesn't get mentioned as a top cornerback, because of the team first concept the Patriots have established over the last 5 seasons. This guy is a top NFL talent and I think the Patriots would be foolish to let him get away.

Overrated: Nate Clements (49ers) - A lot of this had to do with that ridiculous contract he signed this year. I understand he was the best defensive back on the market. But 80 million? The one good thing I will say about him is that he is durable. He has played in 16 games every year of his career. I also know that there is more to evaluating a cornerback than interception totals. However, he has had 5 interceptions the last two seasons. He made one Pro Bowl in 2004, which doesn't mean much, seeing Buffalo is a small market and a bad team since he got there. I just don't equate him to Champ Bailey, Chris McCallister, Ronde Barber, or some of the other elite cornerbacks. I definitely would not have gotten into that bidding war if I were an NFL GM.

superpunk

Reaction score
Funny comments on Portis and unfortunately, on Leonard Davis.

I don't see what Dan Morgan is doing on this list. Who the heck even has him "rated"? Seems like he just took a bunch of players that just got big contracts or got some in the past and aren't playing well now. Everyone in the world knows KGB sucks as anything more than an occasional pass rusher. That's why he got benched for Cullen Jenkins or some scrub.

No DeAngelo Hall? Someone's not paying attention.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
superpunk;1506948 said:

I don't see what Dan Morgan is doing on this list. Who the heck even has him "rated"? Seems like he just took a bunch of players that just got big contracts or got some in the past and aren't playing well now. Everyone in the world knows KGB sucks as anything more than an occasional pass rusher. That's why he got benched for Cullen Jenkins or some scrub.

Dunno about Hall.

I think people this past season realize he is becoming overrated. I have a lot of friends who a year ago claimed Hall's greatness when I was telling them he wasn't anything more than an athletic CB...

The past year they began to notice Hall being burnt on their own.....

They aren't the sharpest football minds either (not that I am either)....but if they are starting to notice, methinks others are as well.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think his comments about Shockey are kinda flawed. Shockey plays in an offense that has legitimate receivers and an inconsistent QB. Gates and Gonzales do not.

Gates does have to share the ball with LT, but still when it comes to the passing game, who in their receiving corps besides Gates is a receiving threat. They cut McCardell.

And KC has always had a poor receiving corp.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Why is Steinbach on this list?

The author says because of the money paid to him. That doesn't make him overrated. Maybe overpaid; but not overrated. And secondly, that was the going rate of OG's. So overpaid doesn't really qualify either...

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Vintage;1506965 said:
Why is Steinbach on this list?

The author says because of the money paid to him. That doesn't make him overrated. Maybe overpaid; but not overrated. And secondly, that was the going rate of OG's. So overpaid doesn't really qualify either...
Also...considering that he is moving to tackle it does not make sense either. Tackle is generally the highest paid OL position.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1506968 said:
Also...considering that he is moving to tackle it does not make sense either. Tackle is generally the highest paid OL position.

Is he definitely moving to OT?

I thought that was merely speculation and that Joe Thomas would be at LT and RT would be fought for by Shaffer, et al.

Steinbach would remain at LG to help ease the transition for Thomas....

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1506961 said:
I think his comments about Shockey are kinda flawed. Shockey plays in an offense that has legitimate receivers and an inconsistent QB. Gates and Gonzales do not.

Gates does have to share the ball with LT, but still when it comes to the passing game, who in their receiving corps besides Gates is a receiving threat. They cut McCardell.

And KC has always had a poor receiving corp.

I believe Shockey is overrated because he gives up on routes and drops way too many passes.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dmq;1506984 said:
I believe Shockey is overrated because he gives up on routes and drops way too many passes.

Which is fine.

But the author used the "not many TDs" and "not as many yards" argument.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Vintage;1506978 said:
Is he definitely moving to OT?

I thought that was merely speculation and that Joe Thomas would be at LT and RT would be fought for by Shaffer, et al.

Steinbach would remain at LG to help ease the transition for Thomas....
I thought they had him slotted for RT...that could definitely change though.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1507005 said:
I thought they had him slotted for RT...that could definitely change though.

I don't know. I know they were talking about it but I didn't know if they were going to do it. What's more likely is that they'll look at it at training camp.

But seeing as how Steinbach is a good OG, I would tend to want to put him at LG next to Joe Thomas.

The Jets did that with Pete Kendall to help out Ferguson and it worked.... I would think the Browns would want to help out Thomas similarily.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
superpunk;1506948 said:

I know someone who thinks Dan Morgan is a hall of famer unfortunately. And by "know" I mean I know his message board name.

superpunk

Reaction score
dogunwo;1507014 said:
I know someone who thinks Dan Morgan is a hall of famer unfortunately. And by "know" I mean I know his message board name.

That name is never to be spoken here. Guard your tongue, sir - for this is a safe place.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dogunwo;1507014 said:

Whats the name?

garyv

Reaction score
The Comments regarding Leonard Davis from this Idiot mean absolutely no more than the Water you flush in your Toilet each day. If you read comments made by Edj. James he stated that Leonard Davis can handle anyone when he wants too becaus eof his Size and Strength. He stated if he does get beat by someone on a Play you can rest assure the next play he'll dominate them. This tells me he plays soft at times but the talent is there.
The Cowboys have needed someone that when it's 3rd and 1 they can run behind them and get the 1 yard and I feel very very strong that Leonard Davis will be that guy. Another fact is this, how many players have you seen go play for the Arizona Cardinals and not produce how their suppose to produce? in fact quite a few. Their Organization is similar to the Texas Rangers there just simply is no winning tradition and it rubs off on players. I think Leonard Davis if he stays at the right spot will be a fixture on the Offensive Line for years and yes, will be a ProBowler which he has been an alternate before meaning he was very close, even as a Cardinal. :)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
garyv;1507028 said:
The Comments regarding Leonard Davis from this Idiot mean absolutely no more than the Water you flush in your Toilet each day. If you read comments made by Edj. James he stated that Leonard Davis can handle anyone when he wants too becaus eof his Size and Strength. He stated if he does get beat by someone on a Play you can rest assure the next play he'll dominate them. This tells me he plays soft at times but the talent is there.
The Cowboys have needed someone that when it's 3rd and 1 they can run behind them and get the 1 yard and I feel very very strong that Leonard Davis will be that guy. Another fact is this, how many players have you seen go play for the Arizona Cardinals and not produce how their suppose to produce? in fact quite a few. Their Organization is similar to the Texas Rangers there just simply is no winning tradition and it rubs off on players. I think Leonard Davis if he stays at the right spot will be a fixture on the Offensive Line for years and yes, will be a ProBowler which he has been an alternate before meaning he was very close, even as a Cardinal. :)

What good is his talent if he decides when and where to use it?

And what's with all these assurances I keep reading that surmise that now he away from the Cardinals he will just suddenly blossom?

That didn't work out too well for Jake Plummer, did it? How about David Boston? In fact, I cannot recall any one ex-Cardinal who suddenly prospered after escaping from this black hole as some of you believe it is.

What people don't get is that they are the organization that chose the players that directly contributed to the lack of a winning tradition. The players ultimately played on the field and won or lost.

You are correct, Davis simply is too physically overwhelming to not be effective, but again, it is when he so chooses to do so. If he's not motivated and into the action, he's barely above average. That will be a problem, unless coming to Dallas puts his switch permanently in the "on" position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;1507164 said:
What good is his talent if he decides when and where to use it?

And what's with all these assurances I keep reading that surmise that now he away from the Cardinals he will just suddenly blossom?

That didn't work out too well for Jake Plummer, did it? How about David Boston? In fact, I cannot recall any one ex-Cardinal who suddenly prospered after escaping from this black hole as some of you believe it is.

What people don't get is that they are the organization that chose the players that directly contributed to the lack of a winning tradition. The players ultimately played on the field and won or lost.

You are correct, Davis simply is too physically overwhelming to not be effective, but again, it is when he so chooses to do so. If he's not motivated and into the action, he's barely above average. That will be a problem, unless coming to Dallas puts his switch permanently in the "on" position.

Simeon Rice I think became a better ball player when he left the Cards and was surrounded by better talent.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1507171 said:
Simeon Rice I think became a better ball player when he left the Cards and was surrounded by better talent.

Rice was pretty much the same as he had ten or more sacks three of the five years he was there. He was still considered a very good pass rusher with the Cardinals and notched his career high in sacks in Arizona, not Tampa.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Alexander;1507164 said:

Thomas Jones? Bill Parcells was holding him back too.