Most Overrated and Underrated Players: Fox Sports

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage;1506965 said:
Why is Steinbach on this list?

The author says because of the money paid to him. That doesn't make him overrated. Maybe overpaid; but not overrated. And secondly, that was the going rate of OG's. So overpaid doesn't really qualify either...

exactly, overrated/underrated tags should be placed on players according to their rep, I don't think Steinbach is called anything around the leauge other than what he is, a very good lineman

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;1507164 said:
What good is his talent if he decides when and where to use it?

And what's with all these assurances I keep reading that surmise that now he away from the Cardinals he will just suddenly blossom?

That didn't work out too well for Jake Plummer, did it? How about David Boston? In fact, I cannot recall any one ex-Cardinal who suddenly prospered after escaping from this black hole as some of you believe it is.

What people don't get is that they are the organization that chose the players that directly contributed to the lack of a winning tradition. The players ultimately played on the field and won or lost.

You are correct, Davis simply is too physically overwhelming to not be effective, but again, it is when he so chooses to do so. If he's not motivated and into the action, he's barely above average. That will be a problem, unless coming to Dallas puts his switch permanently in the "on" position.

the one difference I see between Davis and your 2 examples is that Davis is an on and off player in terms of effort, while Jake Plummer takes too many risks which jeopardized games, and David Boston was a roidhead who's body just began breaking down, the other thing going against Davis, and which is a big thing, is that he struggles in space, which moving him to RG all but eliminates since the area is really confined there, you can't really hide a QB's decision making (Plummer) and how a player is going to hold up physically (Boston)

so one big problem w/ Davis has already been taken care of, but I agree, we should take a wait and see approach regarding his motivation

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;1507298 said:
I am very pleased with our draft additions as it keeps Davis inside.

In that role, I think he has a chance to succeed. Putting him outside at left tackle would have been a mistake.

No doubt Davis has a problem with speed rushers when he was at tackle. On the inside he can use his size and strength to his advantage. I look forward to seeing him work along side Gurode who for the 1st time impressed me last season.

Reaction score
Alexander;1507164 said:
What good is his talent if he decides when and where to use it?

And what's with all these assurances I keep reading that surmise that now he away from the Cardinals he will just suddenly blossom?

That didn't work out too well for Jake Plummer, did it? How about David Boston? In fact, I cannot recall any one ex-Cardinal who suddenly prospered after escaping from this black hole as some of you believe it is.

What people don't get is that they are the organization that chose the players that directly contributed to the lack of a winning tradition. The players ultimately played on the field and won or lost.

You are correct, Davis simply is too physically overwhelming to not be effective, but again, it is when he so chooses to do so. If he's not motivated and into the action, he's barely above average. That will be a problem, unless coming to Dallas puts his switch permanently in the "on" position.

Good quote. It's just like the draft picks. As soon as I learn from several sources that a player takes off plays, then I mark him off my list, no matter how talented he is. What good is he if he takes off half of his plays? You might as well put him in during the first & fourth quarters & have him play at full speed, because you really only have half a player!

Here's hoping that a change to a winning tradition & atmosphere, and the fact that Davis grew up a Cowboy's fan will put some fire in his belly. What good is it to have a mean look on your face, and a body like Goliath, if you are lazy. I believe Sparano won't take his half-a** work ethic, if he brings it with him. I have a feeling, though, that Davis will come in with something to prove, and will be in Hawaii within the next two seasons.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Deangelo Hall is overrated.. Donnie Edwards is a great system guy... Marc Bulger is entering into underrated territory after these past two seasons... Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is overrated only if Dwight Freeney is considered as such, since both of them are terrible against the run. Asante Samuel is very overrated since he has had one good season and the d-line and linebacking core help his stats.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
What Clayton fails to realize is that Leonard Davis has been a Pro Bowl alternate five times in six seasons (all but his first season at left tackle). And it's not because he's getting the fan vote. In other words, a lot of players and coaches must think he's good.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1507611 said:
What Clayton fails to realize is that Leonard Davis has been a Pro Bowl alternate five times in six seasons (all but his first season at left tackle). And it's not because he's getting the fan vote. In other words, a lot of players and coaches must think he's good.

I think the pro bowl alternate is just to fill in for the injured players spot, that is that Leonard Davis would be a backup to the player who was a reserve, but has been moved into the starting spot because the started declined to start. If am wrong don't jump on me, but I think that is the case.

Either way, IMO LD was horrible in Arizona. I will be judging him from here on out as a cowboy. I hope to GOD that LD stays at guard.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Brian Westbrook is only underrated in the sense that he rarely gets mentioned among the TOP backs in the league. And it's true that Reid likes to pass alot. So what, do you really think that he could hold up as a feature back getting 20 carries a week? Probably not.

Westbrook, IMO is one of the best OFFENSIVE players in the game. But I don't know about RB. He moves around alot. And I think most fans see it the same way. What makes Westbrook so good is the fact he can take those little 7 yard dump offs and take them to the house.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1507616 said:
Brian Westbrook is only underrated in the sense that he rarely gets mentioned among the TOP backs in the league. And it's true that Reid likes to pass alot. So what, do you really think that he could hold up as a feature back getting 20 carries a week? Probably not.

Westbrook, IMO is one of the best OFFENSIVE players in the game. But I don't know about RB. He moves around alot. And I think most fans see it the same way. What makes Westbrook so good is the fact he can take those little 7 yard dump offs and take them to the house.

Agreed.

Westbrook had an amazing season... he scares the living daylights out of me. The guy isn't even that fast, but damn is he shifty and tough to bring down.

I think before this past season Westbrook was a great player but was supposedly limited by his ability to consistently handle the rock in the running game; obviously( and unfortunately) we were proven wrong.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1507614 said:
I think the pro bowl alternate is just to fill in for the injured players spot, that is that Leonard Davis would be a backup to the player who was a reserve, but has been moved into the starting spot because the started declined to start. If am wrong don't jump on me, but I think that is the case.

Either way, IMO LD was horrible in Arizona. I will be judging him from here on out as a cowboy. I hope to GOD that LD stays at guard.

Being a Pro Bowl alternate at guard or tackle means that you're one of the top six guards or tackles in your conference. And when you aren't there because of fan votes, it usually means that the players and coaches consider you one of the top four, five or six in your conference.

This year, Davis was the second alternate at tackle, which would be fifth-best in the Pro Bowl rankings. But he wasn't among the top five in fan votes. Here are the final results of the fan voting --

1. John Tait, 127,241
2. Flozell Adams, 118,648
3. Fred Miller, 105,340
4. Walter Jones, 104,995
5. Jon Runyan, 89,651

No. 6 in the fan voting likely was Orlando Pace, who was No. 1 early in the voting but got hurt, went on IR and eventually dropped out of the top five. With one week left in the voting, Pace still was fifth, ahead of Runyan and less than 5,000 votes behind Jones.

After the coaches' and players' votes were included, the final order had Walter Jones and Chris Samuels as the top two, Jamaal Brown as the backup, Flozell Adams as the first alternate, Leonard Davis as the second alternate and Bryant McKinnie as the third alternate. Both of the Bears' tackles (John Tait and Fred Miller) dropped out of the top six, as did Jon Runyan.

So, it was the coaches and players who were responsible for Davis being the second alternate for the Pro Bowl. They obviously had Davis ranked ahead of Tait, Miller and Runyan, probably ahead of Adams and possibly ahead of McKinnie, as well.

And why would the coaches and players vote for a "horrible" lineman who is seen by some outsiders as an underachiever and borderline draft bust? It can't be that they're falling for any hype, because he's had none.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1507643 said:
Being a Pro Bowl alternate at guard or tackle means that you're one of the top six guards or tackles in your conference. And when you aren't there because of fan votes, it usually means that the players and coaches consider you one of the top four, five or six in your conference.

This year, Davis was the second alternate at tackle, which would be fifth-best in the Pro Bowl rankings. But he wasn't among the top five in fan votes. Here are the final results of the fan voting --

1. John Tait, 127,241
2. Flozell Adams, 118,648
3. Fred Miller, 105,340
4. Walter Jones, 104,995
5. Jon Runyan, 89,651

No. 6 in the fan voting likely was Orlando Pace, who was No. 1 early in the voting but got hurt, went on IR and eventually dropped out of the top five. With one week left in the voting, Pace still was fifth, ahead of Runyan and less than 5,000 votes behind Jones.

After the coaches' and players' votes were included, the final order had Walter Jones and Chris Samuels as the top two, Jamaal Brown as the backup, Flozell Adams as the first alternate, Leonard Davis as the second alternate and Bryant McKinnie as the third alternate. Both of the Bears' tackles (John Tait and Fred Miller) dropped out of the top six, as did Jon Runyan.

So, it was the coaches and players who were responsible for Davis being the second alternate for the Pro Bowl. They obviously had Davis ranked ahead of Tait, Miller and Runyan, probably ahead of Adams and possibly ahead of McKinnie, as well.

And why would the coaches and players vote for a "horrible" lineman who is seen by some outsiders as an underachiever and borderline draft bust? It can't be that they're falling for any hype, because he's had none.

Thanks for correcting.