Twitter: Most throws 20+ yards downfield

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
One day people will understand that coaching & talent/ QB play wins in this league. Along with coaching, is managing the game. Don't allow teams to run away from you, managing being on the road/ managing crowd noise, being organized on the road (snap counts) managing 1st or second downs, managing personnel on the field, scheming guys open, running precise routes, throwing accurately, throwing on time, throwing to the open or one on one guy.

Managing the 2 minute warning, managing time outs. Running in the right hole, RB picking off blitzers, TE blocking assignments. Run/Pass blocking. Not allowing speed rushers to own your offensive line, and not allowing bull rushers to bull your interior line. Defensive tackles, not allowing the offensive line to get to your linebackers, linebackers not being fooled by play-action - linebackers knowing which hole to go through. Defense not getting sucked up into cadence, or hurry up offense, or getting caught subbing in players when the offense is ready to go. Safety play, not getting sucked into watching the QBs eyes, knowing where to help out. Corner play, turning your head around, knowing when to hold or interfere (which is important, because sometimes it's good to hold or interfere to prevent a touch down or from getting your QB killed)

Managing special teams - knowing when to come out of the end zone or take a touch back. Knowing when to field punts, when to run it, or when to allow the punt to bounce into the end zone. Knowing how to pen someone deep.

There are so many other things to this game that most people don't really care to understand, they just focus on ONE ASPECT of the game, and they wonder how GREAT QBs like Rodgers has one super bowl title. This game has a lot of aspects to it that require attention other than throwing the ball down field.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We aren't a deep passing team and haven't been for awhile. I don't get the sudden fascination with deep passing.

That just it .......none the teams are. At least not the Randy Moss Vikings or Al Davis vertical offenses did.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
To put it into perspective, Romo used to throw it "deep" around 10.7% of the time, about 2 more deep passes per 100 attempts than Dak. We aren't a deep passing team and haven't been for awhile. I don't get the sudden fascination with deep passing.

Do you have a link to these statistics?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well ok then. I guess ball placement and timing has zero to do with YAC

The things I learn on this forum. Amazing

Thanks for the education
Some of it can be ball placement, but completely discrediting having solid options helping your offense/team is moronic. So as I said, yes necessarily.

You're welcome for the educating.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Do you have a link to these statistics?
Check the ESPN Splits for each player. They break down the number of passes by distance thrown. Put them into excel and run a formula to determine how many passes he has thrown at each distance for his career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Surprising to see the Saints near the bottom of the league. Their recievers get some serious YAC.

Its a perfect example of not only accuracy, but a chemistry and system that allows for great matchups and receivers that gets YAC.

We have NONE of those 4 things.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Check the ESPN Splits for each player. They break down the number of passes by distance thrown. Put them into excel and run a formula to determine how many passes he has thrown at each distance for his career.

I will be honest with you and tell you I probably don’t have time to do that but I do thank you for the info

Ken

Reaction score
To put it into perspective, Romo used to throw it "deep" around 10.7% of the time, about 2 more deep passes per 100 attempts than Dak. We aren't a deep passing team and haven't been for awhile. I don't get the sudden fascination with deep passing.
The dolts think they have cracked the code...thats why. haha

kind of like when they defended Byron Jones at FS, wrote off Jaylon Smith, said that Connor wasn't strong enough, and they said that LVE was soft.

They really know their stuff.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL ......how many times we're heard or seen 3rd and 20+ yards thrown short coz coaches few coaches or OCs have such plays in their playbook.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I will be honest with you and tell you I probably don’t have time to do that but I do thank you for the info
It is OK, I did it in the offseason. I haven’t added Daks numbers from this season but based upon the numbers in the OP, it looks to be right in line with his averages over the first 2 years. Here is a post I made back in May.

It appears Cowboys fans have become fascinated with deep passing since Dak took over as QB. I have compiled the career totals for Dak and Romo using data obtained on ESPN under "Splits" for each QB. It will list the passing stats based upon distance thrown. Here is what the breakdown looks like for the 2 QBs showing the % of total passes thrown for each distance followed by the completion % at each distance.

Romo
Behind LOS - 15.5% of total passes; 79.2% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 51.8% of total passes; 71.5% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22% of total passes; 54.8% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 6.6% of total passes; 39.6% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.9% of total passes; 36% completion percentage
41+ yards - 1.1% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak
Behind LOS - 14.2% of total passes; 84.5% completion percentage
1-10 yards - 54.8% of total passes; 70.7% completion percentage
11-20 yards - 22.2% of total passes; 53.0% completion percentage
21-30 yards - 5.6% of total passes; 37.3% completion percentage
31-40 yards - 2.5% of total passes; 34.8% completion percentage
41+ yards - 0.8% of total passes; 28.6% completion percentage

Dak's numbers are not too far off from what Romo's were for his career. It's not like our offense has been a deep pass juggernaut that stopped when Dak became the QB.