Most troubling aspect of this loss.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The most troubling aspect of this loss is the manner in which it occurred.

The Cowboys didn't lose because of a fluke play, uninspired or flat play from the team, or a very poor performance from one of its key starters.

They lost because their talent was beaten by Washington's talent, straight up and without extenuating circumstances.

Consider our three regular season defeats last season: the Eagles loss, which was brought about by an egregiously and uncharacteristically poor performance from Romo; the Commanders loss, which was the product of some very uninspired play; and, the Patriots loss, which was the direct result of inferior talent and coaching.

Unfortunately, of those three 2007 defeats, yesterday’s loss most closely resembled the Patriot’s loss; throughout both games, not once was I given any indication that Dallas was the better team.

Obviously, all is not lost. As the Cowboys and Giants showed last season, teams can change, grow, and regress drastically over a four month span.

However, based on yesterday’s game, it is my opinion that Washington is simply the better team.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Now that analysis hurts. I am not convinced that they have more talented players, but they obviously had a better game plan. And their players seem to play with more heart and effort.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2296326 said:

The Cowboys didn't lose because of a fluke play, uninspired or flat play from the team, or a very poor performance from one of its key starters.

They lost because their talent was beaten by Washington's talent, straight up and without extenuating circumstances.

Consider our three regular season defeats last season: the Eagles loss, which was brought about by an egregiously and uncharacteristically poor performance from Romo; the Commanders loss, which was the product of some very uninspired play; and, the Patriots loss, which was the direct result of inferior talent and coaching.

Unfortunately, of those three 2007 defeats, yesterday’s loss most closely resembled the Patriot’s loss; throughout both games, not once was I given any indication that Dallas was the better team.

Obviously, all is not lost. As the Cowboys and Giants showed last season, teams can change, grow, and regress drastically over a four month span.

However, based on yesterday’s game, it is my opinion that Washington is simply the better team.

they are more talented than us now???? thats laughable.

khiladi

Reaction score

What are you talking about? They ran the ball eight times, and the Cowboys were still trying to force the pass into coverage. That was just poor coaching by the Cowboys...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Disturbed;2296334 said:
Now that analysis hurts. I am not convinced that they have more talented players, but they obviously had a better game plan. And their players seem to play with more heart and effort.

Yes. It does, hence why I needed a day to actually say it.

And I will accept--nay, welcome--anybody who wishes to refute me or explain why I am wrong.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Correction: We looked better in the First quarter. ;)

But yes your point remains valid. They kicked our butts yesterday. The consolation that I take from this is that even with a A-game from the Skins and a very middling performance from us, we only lost by two points.

I know moral victories are unsatisfying, particularly with a team that has high expectations.This team still has what it takes imo to win the Super Bowl this year

Unfortunately though, Dallas has to relinquish it's status as "team of the house"

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2296342 said:
they are more talented than us now???? thats laughable.

I didn't say "more talented." I said "better."

But let's strive for some measure of intellectual honesty here: If the roles were reversed (and we were in Washington's position and they in ours), what would you be saying?

If the Cowboys had come into Fed Ex and beat the Commanders just as various experts and pundits were heralding them as the best team in the NFL, what would you be saying now...especially if both teams possessed identical records after the game?

Would you not be proclaiming from the highest mountaintop that the Cowboys were the superior team?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2296364 said:
I didn't say "more talented." I said "better."

But let's strive for some measure of intellectual honesty here: If the roles were reversed (and we were in Washington's position and they in ours), what would you be saying?

If the Cowboys had come into Fed Ex and beat the Commanders just as various experts and pundits were heralding them as the best team in the NFL, what would you be saying now...especially if both teams possessed identical records after the game?

Would you not be proclaiming from the highest mountaintop that the Cowboys were the superior team?

I'm bias so the cowboys are always the superior team =)

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
windward;2296363 said:
Correction: We looked better in the First quarter. ;)

But yes your point remains valid. They kicked our butts yesterday. The consolation that I take from this is that even with a A-game from the Skins and a very middling performance from us, we only lost by two points.

I know moral victories are unsatisfying, particularly with a team that has high expectations.This team still has what it takes imo to win the Super Bowl this year

Unfortunately though, Dallas has to relinquish it's status as "team of the house"

That's the missing ingredient to a championship season: Cody Rhodes. Jerry should bring him in as a motivational speaker after every loss.:D

Honestly, I can think of any better motivation for winning than being forced to listen to Cody Rhodes for 30 minutes.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2296352 said:
Yes. It does, hence why I needed a day to actually say it.

And I will accept--nay, welcome--anybody who wishes to refute me or explain why I am wrong.

It will be hard to use that game to refute you. But I still look at two areas of concern (for years now) -- (1) Leadership and (2) Accountability. I don't mean "in name or title" but leading by example and holding players responsible "real time". If you look back to the early 90's cowboys they held each other accountable and were always pumping each other up to play their best.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

I saw some points, on offense at least. In the last few minutes of the first half, and then the first three minutes of the second half, we scored 10 points in less than five minutes, rather easily too. Yeah, the 'Skins gave way a little bit on the last two minutes of the first half, but it's not like they weren't playing defense.

That should have been a momentum shifter, but it wasn't. Our defense once again played flat, and let them drive down the field and score a field goal. I think they also gave up a 3rd and long conversion on that drive as well to keep it going, but I'm not sure about that.

Then Garrett had a brain fart and stopped running only down three.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2296400 said:
I saw some points, on offense at least. In the last few minutes of the first half, and then the first three minutes of the second half, we scored 10 points in less than five minutes, rather easily too.

That should have been a momentum shifter, but it wasn't. Our defense once again played flat, and let them drive down the field and score a field goal. I think they also gave up a 3rd and long conversion on that drive as well to keep it going, but I'm not sure about that.

Then Garrett did a brain fart and stopped running only down three.

Although Garrett and Romo deserve criticism, I place the onus of blame on defense.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

On the one day, yes they were better, but not overall. If you had watched the previous three Commander games, you would know they aren't. They barely got by New Orleans and Arizona.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2296409 said:
Although Garrett and Romo deserve criticism, I place the onus of blame on defense.
Yeah, there were many drives we could have ended had we just wrapped up on tackles or potential sacks.

I ultimately look at it as an opportunity to improve next time around.

I doubt we take the same game plan into Washington in Week 11.

CBass1724

Reaction score
Ok, dangerous territory for me commenting on your guy's site, but I will go ahead anyway...

Yes, you guys have better talent overall than we do, but that doesn't matter when you are playing a team game. We just executed better yesterday. I'd love to say the Skins are a superior team to the Cowboys, but that is just untrue.

Wade/Garrett had a terrible gameplan yesterday and forced way too much to TO. Hurd and Crayton are more than capable to catch balls too and TO is definitely NOT your only WR playmaker. Barber is an animal and deserves 20-25 touches minimum, with Felix Jones getting a bunch as well. Where in the hell was all that? Edgerrin James ran all over us the week before but they got away from running it too early as well.

It is not the end of the season for the Cowboys and it's definitely not time for the Skins to be making reservations for the Super Bowl. It was just one game that went our way. Both teams will win games they shouldn't and lose games they shouldn't as well.

Look at it this way, you guys lost by ONLY 2 points to a team that flat out dominated the game. We thank you all for giving up Suisham :)

It really doesn't matter who is the "better" team or who isn't. The only thing that matters is the record at the end. We had the better team yesterday but it's only one game. Don't let your highs be too high and your lows too low. Just because you lost at home to your rival does not mean the sky is falling.

rk_bailey

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2296432 said:
On the one day, yes they were better, but not overall. If you had watched the previous three Commander games, you would know they aren't. They barely got by New Orleans and Arizona.

Well lets look at it a different way....of barely getting by these teams..

Total Offense/game vs. How they did against Commanders
NYGiants 400.3/ game got 354
New Orleans 414/game got 250
Arizona 377.8/game got 313
Dallas 416/game got 344 (with 85 coming on that last drive)

Take away the game against the Skins and each of those teams are averaging even more than that. The Skins are playing better and better every week on offense, but their defense has been outstanding all year. Again I still think you guys are a better team overall, but our defense is playing much better right now, in my opinion, and we have to prove it again next week going up against philly's # 6 offense.

Don Corleone

Reaction score

You mentioned the Giants of last year in your post, so I won't bash you. I bet they felt the same way when we swept them in the regular season. IMO, talent across the NFC East is pretty equal. All 4 teams have the QB position solidified, and this is the most important position on the field.

With that being said, it comes down to scheme and coaching. We simply got outschemed and outcoached yesterday. It wasn't about talent.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2296432 said:
It's called getting better. They are getting better as the year goes and we have to do the same.

Okay, we lost. Now what do we do? Do we make excuses and stay the same, or we take a big look in the mirror and say, " I suck but I will no longer suck" no puns intended.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2296704 said:
You mentioned the Giants of last year in your post, so I won't bash you. I bet they felt the same way when we swept them in the regular season. IMO, talent across the NFC East is pretty equal. All 4 teams have the QB position solidified, and this is the most important position on the field.

With that being said, it comes down to scheme and coaching. We simply got outschemed and outcoached yesterday. It wasn't about talent.
Truth be told, I would not be surprised if the division standings at the end of the year are

Dal 3-3
Was 3-3
NYG 3-3
Phi 3-3