Motley’s Cowboys Mania…Game 1

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? I keep reading threads that argue our secondary is and will be fine, that it’s the fault of no pass rush….Hello, did I watch the wrong game? I hope those who watched this game, those who kept saying don’t push the panic button, those who try to argue that Hunter is as good or better than Mario Edwards have a strong prescription for rose-colored lenses from the ImUpBillsButt eyeglass shops.

Defense? Hardly. The effort was there…that’s good. The results were not. NO PASS RUSH is to blame? Hello, we had absolutely no pass rush last season, yet we were the #1 defense with a rookie CB and Poor SuperMario, so don’t give me that. Hello….there was a good pass rush for most of the game…there was pressure, more than I’ve seen in some time. Culpepper was not allowed to stand in the pocket all day waiting on receivers…he was flushed out early and often. We didn’t sack him, didn’t even hit him often, but that’s because he was on fire, in charge, in sync with his offense, large and in charge…he was awesome as his rating suggests. But don’t tell me there was no rush. Hit rewind and watch again.

The linebackers were pitiful….Dat and Coakley, senior members of this offense, let a back run free for a TD. Coakley and Brady James missed numerous tackles due to bad angles. The overall tackling of this team is pathetic…once again, we plugged running lanes, stood backs up, but we then proceeded to make Ontario Smith look like a probowler, able to shift directions and run in any direction he wanted because guys didn’t take proper lanes to guard the cutbacks. He ran through quite a few arms on Sunday.

We are not very good against the run….Ellis got pushed around more than I’ve seen him in some time. Wiley showed me something on one run by O. Smith up the middle when we all thought he was stopped and then popped free….Wiley made the tackle 10-15 yards downfield and even tried to strip the ball, while most others had stopped, thinking Smith would stop too…I like that.

Anyone busting TNew’s chops is insane….he’s not Deon Sanders….he played great though….on both TD’s to his side, he was right there, in position, played the ball, but his arm just missed by inches both times…he’s not the problem.

Hunter is freakin’ clueless….he’s NOT a rookie. Mario Edwards had his limitations, and he did draw the occasional INT, but even when he started as a rookie, he never ever had a game as bad as our 3rd year CB had yesterday…NEVER. And don’t give me any crap about the new rules either…we didn’t even see that call made yesterday…it wasn’t an issue. ON Hunter’s best play on one of the TD’s, he was right there, saw the wr look back, yet continued to watch the wr catch the TD, never turning his head. ON another he turned, saw the ball, but was frozen while the WR adjusted….this guy can’t get it done. Time won’t solve his problem. Anyone who’s been a Dallas fan for long knows that you can’t teach a guy to play the ball….he either has the instincts or he doesn’t….we’ve seen it here for years…TNew plays the ball….Ross ( he sucks, I know, but…) played the ball. Hunter is going to kill us.
Having to protect our RCB cost us run support from our safeties, and other times run support from our LB’s. He’s hopeless…accept it…I have.

Roy Williams is NOT a FS….he’s not good enough…at FS, he’s an average guy at best. AT SS, he’s the MAN…we have to gamble….Roy needs to play in the box and someone else needs to play FS. He is our playmaker on defense…yet he made no plays because he was running around behind everyone else, coming into the picture much too late.

I’d put anyone else at RCB, even our rookie….Hunter played the slot on the #1 defense last year…put him in the slot where he has a little more help in the middle of the field, and get Roy back in the box.

Yesterday, Culpepper was just playing with us…we broke through, but no one could get him….don’t expect it to get much better with McNabb unless we change our scheme and put Roy up closer.

Offense? A little. Testeverde started very hot, but later our WR’s made some incredible catches on balls that were not very well thrown, and Vinnie’s accuracy was not as sharp in the 2nd half…still a good game.

Why? Why? Why? Rashard Lee plays one series, runs for a 7 yard average, hits the hole fast and hard so the OL don’t have to hold their blocks forever….tightens the game, and then disappears???? Why, Bill? I understand his not being in later when the score was out of hand, but we were still in the game and the run would have helped tremendously…why come back with EG on the next series…give the hot guy the freakin’ ball.

I’m impressed with KJ…I was wrong…he will never be a deep threat, but he still has game and more importantly is a gamer. Most exciting part of the day? AB…caught everything, big plays, nice runs…he’s the man of the future and probably the present as well…I feel better about our WR’s due to his play. Most disappointing part of the day? Witten…yeah, I know I’m supposed to gush all over him and this was only one game, but he dropped passes and couldn’t get open…most of the game he was shut down by LB’s I never heard of. I still love him, but don’t make me laugh by comparing his skills to Shockey.

When Rashard Lee came in, we finally had a chance to balance our offense…I’m sure the OL had to be fired up over that series…get balanced and use play-action. Instead, BP started believing his own media hype about Vinnie….we will never win a game with Vinnie throwing the ball 50 times. Lee should have been back in on the next possession to provide the spark and threat.

If Bill knew enough after one botched FG, knew he should have never had the punter from down under holding, then why the hell didn’t he know it before? Even if they were equal, why wouldn’t you want your backup QB holding, giving you more options, etc. That guy was soooo clearly NOT an athlete, I just can’t fathom why he’d be holding on the FG ever.

Okay…that’s about it for me…I enjoyed the game for the most part, but it was clear we are not as good a team as Minny…it was clear that a GREAT QB can take us apart, and it was clear that until we find a CB or 2 even, we will not approach being a great defense again….you can be a great defense even without a good pass rusher…we proved it last season, and we have more depth and talent on the DL supposedly this year. When every snap has you in a different scheme trying to protect or hide your CB, you are going to struggle with the run and everything else. These are the same guys basically who played so well last season…Woody is our field general, but he’s not an all star anymore….besides, from what I saw, Dixon looked like he played fairly well. Too many players were out of position and we opened too many holes due to Hunter.

There’s nothing we can do about it now…CB’s don’t grow on trees during the season, especially starters. If we’re really looking at guys like Otis Smith, guys who don’t even have a team right now, then we’re hurting worse than anyone will admit. Sadly, not only is it likely that a pretty good defense will struggle all season with Hunter at RCB, but the young man himself will probably be ruined by his continual torching…he’s not ready to play CB in the NFL, and I don’t think he’ll get much better.

OldButDeadly

Bill's Waterboy
Reaction score
Go ahead and push the panic button....I am right there with you!

I sure as hell hope someone at valley ranch is pushing it....

And while they are at it....get rid of that dead driftwood George and the fumblerooski choke artist Anderson...

Out

Kev

thor_01

Reaction score
OldButDeadly said:
Go ahead and push the panic button....I am right there with you!

I sure as hell hope someone at valley ranch is pushing it....

And while they are at it....get rid of that dead driftwood George and the fumblerooski choke artist Anderson...

Out

Kev

Edited - Duane - There isn't any need to call anyone an idiot. If you have problems with another poster please send them a PM.

OldButDeadly

Bill's Waterboy
Reaction score
thor_01 said:
Personally i think you two confessed losers not only need to press the panic button, but in fact should not be forced to support such a losing team, so why don't you do yourself and everybody else on this board a big ol favor and go find a team you can support, even after they lose only one road game, that's what i like to see loyal commited fans, you guys wouldn't be Kerry Democrats would you ????

Another name calling/supressor of opinions.......alot of these around here....
sheesh...

You ALL know this secondary is very bad...Woodson coming back will help....but we are not going anywhere with these guys....

BTW - I hate Kerry and will be voting for Dubya pronto! :D

Kev

Chuck 54

Reaction score
thor_01 said:
Personally i think you two confessed losers not only need to press the panic button, but in fact should not be forced to support such a losing team, so why don't you do yourself and everybody else on this board a big ol favor and go find a team you can support, even after they lose only one road game, that's what i like to see loyal commited fans, you guys wouldn't be Kerry Democrats would you ????
Bite me, Thor....when something's wrong with your team, only an idiot smiles and says rah rah rah...we pull for our team...I loved the game yesterday, but I'm not an idiot who can't admit we have holes...all teams do, but we were foolish enough to start the season with a huge hole at CB.

I praised the offense though I questioned not using Lee more after he came on like gangbusters...I made an excuse for the poor defense...partly it's due to Minny being better than we are, especially at the QB position, and partly it's due to the fact that we spent the entire game trying to not get beaten deep at RCB....you can't play defense that way.

Why don't you be the great fan and tell me how the team will do great with Hunter and how he's going to be fine next week...then you'll either be right or an idiot...don't question my loyalty as a fan, you pipsqueak...you were probably in diapers when I was watching the Ice Bowl...I sat in Texas stadium (from VA) during the lone win against Atlanta when we went 1-15, and I was always loyal.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing the smell of **** when you smell it....and Hunter is going to kill us at RCB...it's a shame because it's not fair to the other guys who are trying to do their jobs and cover for his as well.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Yes Wayne, you were apparently watching a different game, this season and last! This team didn't get pass rush from the front four last year but they generated pressure with blitzing. When you give a Culpepper 6 or 7 seconds in the pocket to throw the ball, you could have hall of fame cornerbacks and they'll still get burned. You need to get to the quarterback on defense or you are going to give up points. That is all.

OldButDeadly

Bill's Waterboy
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Bite me, Thor....when something's wrong with your team, only an idiot smiles and says rah rah rah...we pull for our team...I loved the game yesterday, but I'm not an idiot who can't admit we have holes...all teams do, but we were foolish enough to start the season with a huge hole at CB.

I praised the offense though I questioned not using Lee more after he came on like gangbusters...I made an excuse for the poor defense...partly it's due to Minny being better than we are, especially at the QB position, and partly it's due to the fact that we spent the entire game trying to not get beaten deep at RCB....you can't play defense that way.

Why don't you be the great fan and tell me how the team will do great with Hunter and how he's going to be fine next week...then you'll either be right or an idiot...don't question my loyalty as a fan, you pipsqueak...you were probably in diapers when I was watching the Ice Bowl...I sat in Texas stadium (from VA) during the lone win against Atlanta when we went 1-15, and I was always loyal.

There's nothing wrong with recognizing the smell of **** when you smell it....and Hunter is going to kill us at RCB...it's a shame because it's not fair to the other guys who are trying to do their jobs and cover for his as well.

Preach it brotha! He is a commy *******!

Kev

ddh33

Reaction score
You can get pressure without sacks. Our team routinely did that last season. They were always close to getting sacks, but didn't. In yesterday's game, they were never even close to Culpepper. No pressure. That is what killed our secondary.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Yes Wayne, you were apparently watching a different game, this season and last! This team didn't get pass rush from the front four last year but they generated pressure with blitzing. When you give a Culpepper 6 or 7 seconds in the pocket to throw the ball, you could have hall of fame cornerbacks and they'll still get burned. You need to get to the quarterback on defense or you are going to give up points. That is all.

I was watching the same game as you Skaven (this year and last). Nobody on the front did anything. They haven't done anything in years. Woody & Roy and our blitz packages is the only thing that gave our defense any respectablity & put us in the Top 5 in the league in recent years.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Bite me, Thor....then you'll either be right or an idiot...don't question my loyalty as a fan, you pipsqueak...you were probably in diapers when I was watching the Ice Bowl....

I like the word "pipsqueak"...it's not used nearly enough anymore!! :D

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Waffle said:
I like the word "pipsqueak"...it's not used nearly enough anymore!! :D

Waffle, you need to get an avatar of the world's biggest waffler, John Kerry.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Last year we could grab an hold wr jersey at times and Mario was able to put his super arm bar on the wr and ride him just enough.

Last year secondary was allowed to do a lot od things that are no longer legal.

The famous super mario is no longer allowed to use his arm bar to push and redirect the wr with out a pentalty

You can no longer grab the wr jersy and push him just a bit to get him of his route 10 yards out.

If you watched last year dbacks you saw tons of this type veteran techniques being used.

Guess what that is all out the window that is what allowed us to do what we did last year.

The pass rush is now more important then ever with the way PI's are being called.

This is now a pasing league with all the rules in place to help the passing game.

From Roughing the passer rules to the strict calls on the DB for the clutching grabing etc.

So despite last years great preformance not even they could do it again with the emphasis on enforcing and old rule

Chuck 54

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I must have been talking too much...i didn't notice him standing back there so long....I felt he was flushed from the pocket and made plays and he was finding his receivers in a timely fashion. To me he did what any great QB does....great QB's love for a defense to blitz because they expose it....only weak QB's fear the blitz, imo....he burned us when we blitzed...that first td was an audible at the last second when he saw the blitz...td to rb....I read today that his coach said he was awesome...he audibled at the line around a dozen times in that game, and they were successful with every decision Culpepper made....oh well....I may be wrong about the rush...i could be, so I'll defer, but I'll stick with my opinion that Hunter sucks and will never be half the CB Mario was...and that ain't saying much....Mario never had a game like yesterday, not even as a rookie starting at CB....just don't bring up the new rule to me....it wasn't called once in our game yesterday...Hunter just can't play, and I think BP has known it for a few weeks, but there's nothing he can do about it now.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Last year we could grab an hold wr jersey at times and Mario was able to put his super arm bar on the wr and ride him just enough.

Last year secondary was allowed to do a lot od things that are no longer legal.

The famous super mario is no longer allowed to use his arm bar to push and redirect the wr with out a pentalty

You can no longer grab the wr jersy and push him just a bit to get him of his route 10 yards out.

If you watched last year dbacks you saw tons of this type veteran techniques being used.

Guess what that is all out the window that is what allowed us to do what we did last year.

The pass rush is now more important then ever with the way PI's are being called.

This is now a pasing league with all the rules in place to help the passing game.

From Roughing the passer rules to the strict calls on the DB for the clutching grabing etc.

So despite last years great preformance not even they could do it again with the emphasis on enforcing and old rule

All I know is Mario started at CB for Tampa Bay yesterday, and he was called for a penalty, but guess what? He didn't allow himself to get burned, and he defensed some passes. His team didn't give up much yesterday and stayed in a close game, but their offense did nothing.

I'm not saying Mario is much of a CB, but he's decent and he knows how to play the position and he makes plays on the ball....I'd trade Hunter for Mario straight up right now and apologise later for ripping someone off.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if our secondary batted down even 1 pass the entire game yesterday??? I don't remember one. TNew wasn't thrown at except on the TD's and maybe 1-2 other times, but I swear I don't recall one single ball being knocked down by anyone.