Move Demarcus Ware to LB?

rpntex

Reaction score
If we use him like the broncos use Von Miller he wont be in coverage 80-85% time.

And who is going to take the coverage responsibilities that fall upon a 4-3 OLB? Or are you just going to rush 5 every play and hope your secondary is really damn good at man coverage?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Von Miller spent the first two years of his career as a LBer in a 3-4 scheme. Just as Ware did for every year except this past one. His first and foremost responsibility in the 3-4 WAS to rush the passer. Now that he's in a 4-3, it's not his primary responsibility. If you have a 4-3 OLB rushing the passer, then you have to have a DE who can drop into coverage to take up the slack.

Broncos moved to the 4-3 in 2011, Miller's first year in the league.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Ware as a full time 4-3 LB would not be good for a number of reasons.

However, as an occasional formation it could have some merit. If Kyle Wilber can play Strong Side LB then I'm sure Ware can do anything that Wilber can. The SLB is off the field in the nickel. Having Ware at SLB could provide some overload pass rush options in non-nickel situations. Ware lined up on the same side a Selvie would be interesting.

And he's going to drop into coverage occasionally even as a 4-3. I don't see Ware playing the Sam and he is not a Will or Mike either. He gets beat too often in the run game. He could possibly play the run better as a Will but he's not got the coverage skills; IMO.

He needs to work on not rushing upfield on runs esp delayed ones and just stay on the field and play the WDE.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Why not just improve the level of talent around him?

That has always been my disappointment in our FO. We never lined up a threat on the opposite side of him consistently enough and if he is indeed cut; we will have wasted his tenure here. If we had Spencer's performance in '09 each in every season, we would've seen more success on defense.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I think you keep ware at end. However, I'm completely on board with drafting this rush end/OLB.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I would rather see him move inside and play the pass rushing DT spot than see this.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Ware as a full time 4-3 LB would not be good for a number of reasons.

However, as an occasional formation it could have some merit. If Kyle Wilber can play Strong Side LB then I'm sure Ware can do anything that Wilber can. The SLB is off the field in the nickel. Having Ware at SLB could provide some overload pass rush options in non-nickel situations. Ware lined up on the same side a Selvie would be interesting.

So you take a defensive end off the field, and put Ware into a "43 over" position and line him up behind Selvie? So the offense puts their C, G and RT, with a possible chip from the RB to the right side and they're both completely negated.... Stupid

This defensive line needs symmetry. It needs the ability to get after the QB from any and every angle. That sort of formation leaves nothing to the imagination and shows the offense exactly what our intention is. Neither of those guys can drop into coverage.

I appreciate the effort, that that idea is pure lunacy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he's going to drop into coverage occasionally even as a 4-3. I don't see Ware playing the Sam and he is not a Will or Mike either. He gets beat too often in the run game. He could possibly play the run better as a Will but he's not got the coverage skills; IMO.

He needs to work on not rushing upfield on runs esp delayed ones and just stay on the field and play the WDE.

I don't see Wilber (6-4, 250) being able to do anything that Ware (6-4, 254) can't do.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I don't see Wilber (6-4, 250) being able to do anything that Ware (6-4, 254) can't do.

It's more about Ware not being able to do the things that Wilber can because, regardless of how similar their measurables may be, they are two different types of athletes. Ware doesn't have the lateral quickness or mobility anymore to cover anyone. Therefor, as I stated before, the defense can counter this formation very easily.

You don't take your best pass rusher (make no mistake, as down a year as he had last year he is still our best rush end) and line him up dramatically out of position. A much better option is simply blitzing the player already like up at SLB while keeping Ware as a rush end on the other side. As I stated before, this gives the defense symmetry and doesn't allow the QB to simply roll away from an obvious overload/blitz situation.