Moving Forward Post Garrett

Verdict

Reaction score
It looks like the team has officially moved on from Garrett, and in the wake of that decision lies a new future without Jason Garrett. That will inject excitement back in the fan base and a new opportunity going forward.

Setting aside new coaches who will be coming in I think it is important to look at the other aspects of this franchise and the other problems associated with the futility since our last super bowl win in the 90s.

While Garrett certainly was a problem, the players themselves will be the next thing to come into focus. So let’s take a closer look at that.

Dak Prescott. A lot went right for Dak this year as he seemed to take a step forward and became what we thought he could be. Dak had more good than bad, but he had 4 games this year with ZERO TD PASSES. That is unacceptable for a guy who wants to make $40m dollars. He is NOT the best QB in the NFL. You can’t pay him as if he is the best.

Amari Cooper. He is your #1 receiver. He spurred on the success of the team last year. This year he faltered badly down the stretch. If there is not physically anything wrong with Amari, then something else is wrong.

Amari disappeared at the most important parts of the season. He wants to be paid $20m per year. He isn’t in the class of the NO receiver, or Hopkins, or Julio. In fact he may not be in the top 10. You can’t pay him to be the best receiver in the NFL if he is not the best.

Tank. Tank has disappeared at huge stretches. It is clear he was more concerned about being paid than playing football. What a waste of cap space.

Jaylon. The guy can’t seem to cover your grandma in the flat and runs himself out of plays. Ever since he got paid he has been more concerned with his clear eye view than playing football. We may rue this sighing too.

The highest paid OL in football is not playing like the highest paid OL in football. These guys get paid and fall off the map (other than Collins who was a pleasant surprise).

We can’t keep paying guys to be the best when they are merely the best we are trotting out on the field on game day.

Would you rather have Cooper or Davante Parker and Quinn? Because that’s the opportunity cost of paying Cooper. Parker is a more consistent producer than Cooper is at half the cost.

I am beginning to think that rather than having a number one wr, that you are better off having three #2 WR at about the same cost so that when you are in a 3 wr package your third WR is going to be a bad matchup for their slot (#3) corner.

We seem to have made a bad call on the contracts of Lawrence, and Jaylon. We are probably stuck overpaying Dak but we should NOT pay Amari $20 per year. No way no how.

We need to improve at DT (badly). We will have needs at LB. We will need 2 WR. We better make sure we have a LT in the wings because Tyron is on borrowed time. We also need to draft or sign a legit backup to push Dak. Rush isn’t cutting it.

Witten needs to be put out to pasture. I don’t care what he WANTS to do. He is a complete liability. We will have more holes than draft picks to fill those holes. It would have been better to lose the Commanders game. The difference in draft position will be about a 3rd round pick value in a trade back to where we will be picking now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The highest paid OL in football is not playing like the highest paid OL in football. These guys get paid and fall off the map (other than Collins who was a pleasant surprise).

Fleming will be gone next year. 5 mil. Beyond that, it is what it is. Who has an overpriced *salary*? Much of the cap hit we're getting with them is from bonuses and restructures. Sunk cost, often that would accelerate if we moved on from one of them.

Frederick got a weird disease and Smith and Martin made the Pro Bowl. Martin is All Pro, and Smith made it on the real ballot, not some phoney alternate. How is that "falling off the map"?

A lot of money in the oline. A lot of value. A lot of value in the trenches, where most of us say we want the team to spend resources.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott. A lot went right for Dak this year as he seemed to take a step forward and became what we thought he could be. Dak had more good than bad, but he had 4 games this year with ZERO TD PASSES. That is unacceptable for a guy who wants to make $40m dollars. He is NOT the best QB in the NFL. You can’t pay him as if he is the best.
You do realize there was only 6 TD's thrown over the weekend in the 4 playoff games?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari Cooper. He is your #1 receiver. He spurred on the success of the team last year. This year he faltered badly down the stretch. If there is not physically anything wrong with Amari, then something else is wrong.
I'm not sure how he played. Poor guy was so injured he shouldn't have suited up for some of the games.

When healthy, he is not only an impact WR, he is a top 10 WR in the NFL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It looks like the team has officially moved on from Garrett, and in the wake of that decision lies a new future without Jason Garrett. That will inject excitement back in the fan base and a new opportunity going forward.

Setting aside new coaches who will be coming in I think it is important to look at the other aspects of this franchise and the other problems associated with the futility since our last super bowl win in the 90s.

While Garrett certainly was a problem, the players themselves will be the next thing to come into focus. So let’s take a closer look at that.

Amari disappeared at the most important parts of the season. He wants to be paid $20m per year. He isn’t in the class of the NO receiver, or Hopkins, or Julio. In fact he may not be in the top 10. You can’t pay him to be the best receiver in the NFL if he is not the best.

Tank. Tank has disappeared at huge stretches. It is clear he was more concerned about being paid than playing football. What a waste of cap space.

Jaylon. The guy can’t seem to cover your grandma in the flat and runs himself out of plays. Ever since he got paid he has been more concerned with his clear eye view than playing football. We may rue this sighing too.

We can’t keep paying guys to be the best when they are merely the best we are trotting out on the field on game day.

Would you rather have Cooper or Davante Parker and Quinn? Because that’s the opportunity cost of paying Cooper. Parker is a more consistent producer than Cooper is at half the cost.

I am beginning to think that rather than having a number one wr, that you are better off having three #2 WR at about the same cost so that when you are in a 3 wr package your third WR is going to be a bad matchup for their slot (#3) corner.

We seem to have made a bad call on the contracts of Lawrence, and Jaylon. We are probably stuck overpaying Dak but we should NOT pay Amari $20 per year. No way no how.

We need to improve at DT (badly). We will have needs at LB. We will need 2 WR. We better make sure we have a LT in the wings because Tyron is on borrowed time. We also need to draft or sign a legit backup to push Dak. Rush isn’t cutting it.

Witten needs to be put out to pasture. I don’t care what he WANTS to do. He is a complete liability. We will have more holes than draft picks to fill those holes. It would have been better to lose the Commanders game. The difference in draft position will be about a 3rd round pick value in a trade back to where we will be picking now.
This is a regurgitation of the past few weeks most of it initiated from talking heads and then reported here as the gospel. The only point that’s true is that we need to improve at DT. We’ve needed to improve at DT for years now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, but Dak probably gets his long-term deal. My guess 5 years in Wentz/Goff money range with a 3 year out. Cooper's same top-five-pay money from last year is likely still on the table. IF he doesn't sign, you franchise him and draft his possible replacement 2nd or 3rd round. This way you have his possible replacement if you can't agree on a long-term deal AND give you a year to if Gallup can be a No.1 guy. I'm letting Byron Jones walk and use his money to resign Bennett AND Quinn but I'm also using at least of my first three picks on DL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just me, but Dak probably gets his long-term deal. My guess 5 years in Wentz/Goff money range with a 3 year out. Cooper's same top-five-pay money from last year is likely still on the table. IF he doesn't sign, you franchise him and draft his possible replacement 2nd or 3rd round. This way you have his possible replacement if you can't agree on a long-term deal AND give you a year to if Gallup can be a No.1 guy. I'm letting Byron Jones walk and use his money to resign Bennett AND Quinn but I'm also using at least of my first three picks on DL.
You’re probably right on the range. He definitely deserves more than Wentz. He’s outplayed him every game except the last when Dak was trying to throw with a bum shoulder. The haters will say that’s just an excuse. Damn right it’s an excuse. Try throwing a football with a torn AC ligament in your throwing shoulder. A shoulder he had to take shots for before the game and at halftime.

Verdict

Reaction score
Fleming will be gone next year. 5 mil. Beyond that, it is what it is. Who has an overpriced *salary*? Much of the cap hit we're getting with them is from bonuses and restructures. Sunk cost, often that would accelerate if we moved on from one of them.

Frederick got a weird disease and Smith and Martin made the Pro Bowl. Martin is All Pro, and Smith made it on the real ballot, not some phoney alternate. How is that "falling off the map"?

A lot of money in the oline. A lot of value. A lot of value in the trenches, where most of us say we want the team to spend resources.

They did not play like the highest paid OL in football last year. Not even close.

Verdict

Reaction score
You do realize there was only 6 TD's thrown over the weekend in the 4 playoff games?

If you pay a QB $40m wouldn't you want to know your QB would play at a high level and score so you could advance. Is it asking too much for the highest paid at their position to perform at crunch time?

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not sure how he played. Poor guy was so injured he shouldn't have suited up for some of the games.

When healthy, he is not only an impact WR, he is a top 10 WR in the NFL.

He says he is not hurt. He certainly doesn’t look right. If hes not hurt then something else is wrong. Why would he say he is fine if he is not? Surely he would say I was hurt in retrospect.

khiladi

Reaction score
While 6 TDs were thrown this weekend, three of the four QBs have been the best in the league for pretty much a decade plus.

khiladi

Reaction score

Football Outsiders did one.

Dak was sacked the least amount of times, while throwing the most passes of any QB and pretty much was right up there in top five with time to throw. And this is with Dallas downfield offense. They were also posting the best third down conversion percentage for a long time this season, particularly down and distance because of how much time this pass blocking was giving him.