Moving on... who gets replaced?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks some of the offensive coaches need to be gone, notable Sparano and Palmer? Get some true position coaches in there, and then one offensive coordinator to run the offense. I'm tired of coaching it by committee.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1298481 said:
Am I the only one who thinks some of the offensive coaches need to be gone, notable Sparano and Palmer? Get some true position coaches in there, and then one offensive coordinator to run the offense. I'm tired of coaching it by committee.
I'd be happy if the entire offensive staff and offensive side of the ball stayed exactly the same with the exception of Rivera.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
theogt;1298423 said:
Burnett is too light and weak to play LOLB.

are you ceral? i remember in the chiefs game 2 seasons ago he blew up Willy Roaf...yeah that all-pro future hof offensive tackle Willy Roaf

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Sarge;1298038 said:
As I read this thread it makes me sick that we basically have as many holes to fill now as when manboobs got here. It's nauseating quite frankly, and that doesn't bode too well for someone with a hangover.

At any rate.................is this team better than it was 4 years ago.....of course. Any pea-brain with half a pea could have made Campo's team better. Parcells had 4 years to better a pathetic team and the amount of improvement made, isn't justified over that period of time.

Label me unimpressed.
We are better. look at our starters in 2003 versus 2006
Romo> Hutch/Carter

Barber/Jones> Smith/Hambrick

Owens>Galloway
Glenn> Bryant
Witten>Tony McGee

Flozell push
Kosier< Allen
2006 Gurode> 2002 Gurode
Rivera= Lehr/Tucker/Page
Colombo> Collins/Vollers
Overall Oline is slightly better than 2002

Ferguson, Canty, Spears Ware Carpenter Ellis James Ayodele > Ellis Glover Noble Ekuban Coakley Nguyen Hardy

Newman>Edwards
Henry>Ross
Roy 2006<Roy 2002
Watkins< Woody

McBriar> Filipovic/Knorr
Grammatica>Cundiff

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
who replace depends if Tuna comes back. without him we can be alot more creative in regard to our top $$$$ underperformers.

* Rivera - release and pickup RG in FA
* Roy - explore trades for anything
* Glenn - release and save $$$
* TO - probably bring back for 1 more year ($3m to cut, $3m more to keep)
* Bradie - make backup or just trade/release
* Flo - release him as he's waaaay overpaid and uninspired
* Ellis - won't be the same and in 3-4 keeps Carp out which is terrible

sadly most of the same problems we had when tuna arrived are still here except QB (notably every position at OL, S, LB).

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
theogt;1298484 said:
I'd be happy if the entire offensive staff and offensive side of the ball stayed exactly the same with the exception of Rivera.

I'd be disgusted.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
windward;1298488 said:
We are better. look at our starters in 2003 versus 2006
Romo> Hutch/Carter

Barber/Jones> Smith/Hambrick

Owens>Galloway
Glenn> Bryant
Witten>Tony McGee

Flozell push
Kosier< Allen
2006 Gurode> 2002 Gurode
Rivera= Lehr/Tucker/Page
Colombo> Collins/Vollers
Overall Oline is slightly better than 2002

Ferguson, Canty, Spears Ware Carpenter Ellis James Ayodele > Ellis Glover Noble Ekuban Coakley Nguyen Hardy

Newman>Edwards
Henry>Ross
Roy 2006<Roy 2002
Watkins< Woody

McBriar> Filipovic/Knorr
Grammatica>Cundiff

I think you are right but you are just:banghead:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
whcarm;1297909 said:
Moving on... who gets replaced?
Start at the top with BP and his staff. Keep Ireland. On the roster it's pretty easy to see who is performing and who isn't. Position wise we still need to upgrade the O-Line (a never ending work in progress) and improve the front 7 (STILL no pass rush) and I've been saying all year we need at least one more CB. This is a simple game. It is won in the trenches and right now we are not doing that.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
theogt;1298517 said:
Yardage - 5th in the league.

Scoring - 4th

Passing - 5th

Want me to post some of Zimmer's stats from the last few years?

I'm tired of our WRs running 20 year old routes, TO not moving all over the field, our offensive line as a whole, and a good deal of our sets.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1298549 said:
Want me to post some of Zimmer's stats from the last few years?

I'm tired of our WRs running 20 year old routes, TO not moving all over the field, our offensive line as a whole, and a good deal of our sets.
This was a creative and effective offense all year. We only scored less than 17 points all season. There are problems with this team, but the offensive unit and coaching staff isn't one of them.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
1) Will Parcells return? I still like Parcells, but I think it is time for him to go. He is not a good game planner. He tries to play everything too vanilla. I don't know if he will go or not, if Romo had not emerged then I would say definitely, but now, I think there's only about a 70% chance he leaves.

The game has passed him by. If you watched the NE/Jets game, you would have seen game planning on both sides of the ball.

3) The 3-4? A while ago Jones said that any coach coming after Parcells would have to be willing to run the 3-4 because the organization had switched to it permanently. I'm not sure whether Jones still feels that way. Whatever happens, I think we will probably try and stick with a Patriots' like defense where we can play a lot of either scheme.

I don't think Jones wants to spend two more years making the team into a 3-4. They aren't even close right now.

5) Linebackers: I think the team really thought it had a solid group at the start of the season. But now we see that they can't get pressure and that they can't cover the fullbacks and/or TEs. But what do you do? We just gave James a big extension. We just brought Ayodele in. Ware is good no matter what scheme we play so he is staying. Carpenter really came on in the last few games and was one of the best defensive players last night. Will Ellis return? I still think he would like to move on to a team that plays the 4-3. The Rams might trade for him to pair with Glover. I think Burnett has proven that he is not starting material and may not even be a great backup. So, do we try to upgrade the starters here? I think we may need to, but I'm not sure which guy, James or Ayodele we would try and replace.

James is a bust. He hasn't contributed much this year. Carpenter showed some moxie, some heart, and some speed. It took some time, but he played well last night. Burnett needs some coaching and some time

6) Cornerbacks: Newman and Hunter and most likely going to remain the starters. Glenn is getting older and looked pretty bad, in my opinion, last night. He might hang on another year or two, but if Parcells leaves, I could seem him retiring. Nate Jones and Reeves are decent in their role, but I don't really want to see them as the third CB that will play outside when Newman moves into the slot. I think we either try and draft a CB on the first day or bring in one via free agency.

Keep Newman, but the rest are over the hill. Free agency will help here.

7) Safeties: Williams is not going anywhere. He is what he is. When he is paired with a good free safety he can by dynamic, when he is not, he is ordinary in the pass game and still great in the run game. Watkins definitely has promise, but I can't see us going into next season relying on him as our starter. I doubt Parrish hangs around and I don't think we will go back to Davis as our starter. I think FS will be one or our top priorities. Hopefully there will be someone available in free agency or worthy or being selected in the first or second round.

Free safety will be alright, it's Roy that needs to step up

8) Offensive line: At times they looked solid, at times they looked lost. Gurode and Johnson are both free agents. Will we try and bring either of them back? It will probably depend on who is available in free agency. I can't see us trying to get a center to start in the draft. So, if someone better than Gurode is available in free agency in free agency then we bring him in, if not then we probably bring back Gurode. I don't think Adams is going anywhere. He is inconsistent, but is still a pretty good LT. I think we bring back Columbo. His first year here was pretty good and another year of lifting in the offseason should make him even better. That leaves the guards. Rivera is getting old and is not that great. Kosier didn't play that bad, but he is nothing special. I would not be surprised if we tried to replace either one of them. I think we need to replace at least one and probably two guys on the offensive line with excellent players.

Watching the Jets/Pats game today, I wondered how Romo would do behind the Jets line. Pennington had plenty of time, rarely had to sidestep a rushing lineman. Watch the remaining games to see how the O-lines protect the quarterback. Romo doesn't have that luxury.

10) Wide Receivers: Will TO or won't TO return? Who knows. I think it will depend a lot on whether Parcells stays or goes and what new coach comes in. If the team believes his hand injury was really serious then I think Jones will be willing to bring him back. But he is getting older and so is Glenn. Crayton is a good player, but at the most he can be a decent number 2 guy. Hurd and Austin are both promising youngsters, but I think we need to bring in a new guy here. Most likely in the first three rounds of the draft. Personally, I would not mind seeing TO and Glenn back as starters with Crayton as third and then a young guy via the draft to compete with Austin and Hurd.

TO will be back, and will be a better teammate. I don't see any changes here. Crayton proved he can play. Improve the O-line, and I think there will be three pro-bowl WRs

12) Tight Ends: Witten is still one of the best. Fasano didn't have a great year, but hopefully he will develop more next year into a legitimate threat. We might bring in another guy to compete with Fasano, but I don't think this is a major area of need.

Kind of hard for Fasano to develop when the vaunted two tight end set was a bust. That was a wasted draft pick. He is an expensive backup.

14) Special Teams: McBriar is not going anywhere. He is a great punter. Our coverage teams were pretty good. We have two very good kick returners in Austin and Thompson. I would not mind seeing us get a better punt returner. Crayton is simply not good in that role and I hate seeing us risk Newman's health by having him back there. That leaves us with Gramatica. I think he played well enough for us to keep him. Jones has already said we aren't going to pay a ton for a new kicker. So that probably means we aren't going to draft one either. At the most, we will probably bring in a rookie free agent to compete with Grammatica.

I wouldn't make any changes. Grammatica did very well for the Cowboys. It's the one bright spot.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
DEFENSE:
Dline:
Hollis Thomas should be an UFA. If he can get his crap togehter, he'd be a nice body to have at NT. I think Vonnie Holliday is available at NT as well. Not sure about a pass rusher though... Maybe Justin Smith (Cincy)?

LB:
Lance Briggs or Adalius Thomas (though I think he signed an extention). We need a leader in the LB corp. We have talent...just no leadership. Dat, I miss you.

DB:
Ken Hamlin's a possibility. I like the idea of sliding Anthony Henry over though. Ideas?

OFFENSE:
OLine:
LT - Leonard Davis. Move Flo over to LG. His size should help Gurode as well. The rest of the line...who knows.

QB: Romo is the guy. But w/ Bledsoe leaving, we need a backup. Veteran or rookie? I'd draft a kid and pickup a veteran. IMO, Jordan Palmer. Quick release, good feet, smart, similar to Romo 'cept 6'5 245lbs.

WR: We're fine w/ Owens. But if he's gone ...draft. 4 Word: Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr. :)

RB: set...hope Thompson comes back strong.

TE: Set

Special Teams:
Punter: we're set

Kicker: Do we spend $ and go after Josh Brown?

The lines are where this team needs the most help.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
EPL0c0;1298603 said:
DEFENSE:
Dline:
Hollis Thomas should be an UFA. If he can get his crap togehter, he'd be a nice body to have at NT. I think Vonnie Holliday is available at NT as well. Not sure about a pass rusher though... Maybe Justin Smith (Cincy)?

LB:
Lance Briggs or Adalius Thomas (though I think he signed an extention). We need a leader in the LB corp. We have talent...just no leadership. Dat, I miss you.

DB:
Ken Hamlin's a possibility. I like the idea of sliding Anthony Henry over though. Ideas?

OFFENSE:
OLine:
LT - Leonard Davis. Move Flo over to LG. His size should help Gurode as well. The rest of the line...who knows.

QB: Romo is the guy. But w/ Bledsoe leaving, we need a backup. Veteran or rookie? I'd draft a kid and pickup a veteran. IMO, Jordan Palmer. Quick release, good feet, smart, similar to Romo 'cept 6'5 245lbs.

WR: We're fine w/ Owens. But if he's gone ...draft. 4 Word: Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr. :)

RB: set...hope Thompson comes back strong.

TE: Set

Special Teams:
Punter: we're set

Kicker: Do we spend $ and go after Josh Brown?

The lines are where this team needs the most help.
Kicker we resign Grammatica. Vonnie Holliday would be a disaster at NT. Fergy is fine there.