Moving out of CA, likely to AZ

Praxit

Reaction score
......yep gents, the ship sailed on us to buy property in CA. In fact, it sailed about 15 yrs go.

We managed to save. But its ridiculous what you'll get for avg 2 bedroom home. At very near $500,000 or more.

For that price we should see better situations, elsewhere. We do have some family in AZ. Very likely moving there.

We have NO home buying XP. What are some things to look for? What are some thing to WATCH OUT for?

Anyone with prior home buyers XP? any feedback is appreciated.

John813

Reaction score
Where in AZ?

IIRC parts of Arizona blew up as former California residents beat you there and the prices shot through the roof lol.

You looking for new or used?

Creeper

Reaction score
CA real estate is ridiculously high. Million dollar homes in CA look like middle class homes in many other states. I know nothing about Arizona real estate other than prices there are high too.

rags747

Reaction score
Location, location, location. Besides that everything else is pretty much common sense. Find the home that u like and then if serious hire a private inspector to do an inspection of the house, Do Not take the Realtor’s suggestion for an inspector, find your own that will have allegiance to u and only u.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Arizona isn’t much cheaper these days unless you’re out in the desert. Prices have soared throughout the country. Find what you can afford now and later as inflation continues to grow. Like rags said, hire an inspector.

gtb1943

Reaction score
IF you are careful and are patient you will find a good deal. As long as you are reasonable about what you want.
Do not be afraid to buy an older home; to be blunt quite often they were better built then todays crap.
Two years ago I bought a place that was built in 1917 and had some surface defects but nothing serious. BUT because it was old, yuppies and others turned their noses up at it. I bought it real cheap.
and here is another possibility to look into: if it is in a small town or outside one you can get a rural residential loan backed by the Department of Agriculture and you will not have to come up with a big down payment; I only had to come up with $1000 for a $170,000 loan. Very good loan rate as well.

Praxit

Reaction score
... Oh wow, geez, thanks guys for all the different advice and inputs. There's no way we could afford something or would want to look in the areas of Flagstaff, Sedona etc. We're trying to stay within$ 200 to $300k bracket. Anything more and we won't be around to pay it off, i think.
Thanks for advice on getting my own personal inspector.
We found quite a few places in our range just on the outskirts of Phoenix. But we want to go a little bit Northern to get into the forestry areas, that way it'll be a little bit cooler..lol. We noticed some areas have Indian reservations, quite large too. My wife is half American Indian. So don't know how that would play out.. sarcasm inserted...
But like others have stated, yes it is expensive there too. But there is more breathing room than in California. Besides California as a whole is way too expensive.

Definitely looking at an older home, nothing new. I do believe older homes are better built and have more character to them. Newer types have the Home Depot look. Some of you will get what I mean. They look fabricated from cookie cutter. No offense to anyone by this. Just observation.
Thanks again guys for all the ideas and opinions. They are appreciated. Keep them coming...

Praxit

Reaction score
CA real estate is ridiculously high. Million dollar homes in CA look like middle class homes in many other states. I know nothing about Arizona real estate other than prices there are high too.
Creeper, that's exactly what I told my wife . If we don't buy now, we never will because they keep rising

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
... Oh wow, geez, thanks guys for all the different advice and inputs. There's no way we could afford something or would want to look in the areas of Flagstaff, Sedona etc. We're trying to stay within$ 200 to $300k bracket. Anything more and we won't be around to pay it off, i think.
Thanks for advice on getting my own personal inspector.
We found quite a few places in our range just on the outskirts of Phoenix. But we want to go a little bit Northern to get into the forestry areas, that way it'll be a little bit cooler..lol. We noticed some areas have Indian reservations, quite large too. My wife is half American Indian. So don't know how that would play out.. sarcasm inserted...
But like others have stated, yes it is expensive there too. But there is more breathing room than in California. Besides California as a whole is way too expensive.

Definitely looking at an older home, nothing new. I do believe older homes are better built and have more character to them. Newer types have the Home Depot look. Some of you will get what I mean. They look fabricated from cookie cutter. No offense to anyone by this. Just observation.
Thanks again guys for all the ideas and opinions. They are appreciated. Keep them coming...
That part of AZ, if I recall correctly, has a lot of beautiful lakes, if you like waterskiing, boating, or just hanging out on a lake. I loved Canyon Lake most.

Praxit

Reaction score
That part of AZ, if I recall correctly, has a lot of beautiful lakes, if you like waterskiing, boating, or just hanging out on a lake. I loved Canyon Lake most.
..Runny, I took some painting lessons about 5-6 yrs ago. Added a new hobby, besides being Dallas homer. ;).

Man, if we could get something around lake area, would be dream come true. Then I could utilize my new painting skills.

giphy.webp

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
..Runny, I took some painting lessons about 5-6 yrs ago. Added a new hobby, besides being Dallas homer. ;).

Man, if we could get something around lake area, would be dream come true. Then I could utilize my new painting skills.

giphy.webp
As an artist, I applaud your dream, and wish you the best of luck!

Creeper

Reaction score
Creeper, that's exactly what I told my wife . If we don't buy now, we never will because they keep rising
My wife and I have considered moving out of NJ for several years. NJ is another one of those expensive states with high taxes, high property values, and it is getting really overdeveloped. We used to have both estate taxes and inheritance taxes, but they finally killed the estate tax. We still have an inheritance tax, which is a tax on those who inherit your property when you die. Since I am retired and she will retire in a few years, we'd like to go somewhere where taxes and cost of living are low. NJ is not a good place for retirees.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
......yep gents, the ship sailed on us to buy property in CA. In fact, it sailed about 15 yrs go.

We managed to save. But its ridiculous what you'll get for avg 2 bedroom home. At very near $500,000 or more.

For that price we should see better situations, elsewhere. We do have some family in AZ. Very likely moving there.

We have NO home buying XP. What are some things to look for? What are some thing to WATCH OUT for?

Arizona is turning into another California.

Praxit

Reaction score
Just stay out of Texas. We hate y'all. I'm in

My wife and I have considered moving out of NJ for several years. NJ is another one of those expensive states with high taxes, high property values, and it is getting really overdeveloped. We used to have both estate taxes and inheritance taxes, but they finally killed the estate tax. We still have an inheritance tax, which is a tax on those who inherit your property when you die. Since I am retired and she will retire in a few years, we'd like to go somewhere where taxes and cost of living are low. NJ is not a good place for retirees.
..yeah, I've heard about NJ. My bro in law worked that way. Said it was bookoo expensive. He also figured the upscale development was reason.
But I hear ya, about retiring to comfortable area.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

It's still a seller's market. Be patient with a purchase. Things may get head back toward sanity toward the end of August with November being an historically better month for value. If you are taking on a mortgage for the purchase, getting pre-approved is a must. If you see something that checks all of your boxes, offer a competitive bid, perhaps asking or a little more. Don't lose a house you really like over a few thousand dollars. A house that needs a little updating is a good way to get into the market. Work like removing wallpaper, painting, taking up carpets covering hardwood, changing light fixtures, replacing trim are all manageable and can transform a space with little $$$investment.

Be wary of structural issues, old plumbing and electrical, roofs and decks and mechanical systems at the end of their useful life. Those are big ticket items that can set you back 5 figures per episode.

Be extra wary of flippers. Appraise yourself of the turnover history of any house you are interested in. Have your Realtor find out whether or not permits have been filed and closed out for any renovations. If there was a down to the studs reno, you want to be sure that all the structural, plumbing and electrical components were inspected and approved. It's a good idea to go into the municipality and speak with the people at the Building Dept. to get an idea how on top of things they are. Many of those Departments are understaffed and vulnerable to missing things. Don't always believe your eyes with shiny and new. If you can't see through the walls, you can't verify the integrity of the work.

Make sure you get a reputable Home Inspector with lots of good references. Look for the Inspector with experience in the trades. I recently sold my home and as soon as the Home Inspector walked on the property, I knew he was not going to uncover any issues in my home. You want an Inspector who will walk the roof, crawl into tight spaces, climb a ladder. The most devastating deficiencies are structural and sometimes you need to get dirty to uncover them. The Inspector that is wielding a bunch of fancy gadgets to do the work probably has little or no instincts and lacks extensive experience with any form of construction.

Good luck. I know it must be hard to leave California. It is such a beautiful state.

Praxit

Reaction score
It's still a seller's market. Be patient with a purchase. Things may get head back toward sanity toward the end of August with November being an historically better month for value. If you are taking on a mortgage for the purchase, getting pre-approved is a must. If you see something that checks all of your boxes, offer a competitive bid, perhaps asking or a little more. Don't lose a house you really like over a few thousand dollars. A house that needs a little updating is a good way to get into the market. Work like removing wallpaper, painting, taking up carpets covering hardwood, changing light fixtures, replacing trim are all manageable and can transform a space with little $$$investment.

Be wary of structural issues, old plumbing and electrical, roofs and decks and mechanical systems at the end of their useful life. Those are big ticket items that can set you back 5 figures per episode.

Be extra wary of flippers. Appraise yourself of the turnover history of any house you are interested in. Have your Realtor find out whether or not permits have been filed and closed out for any renovations. If there was a down to the studs reno, you want to be sure that all the structural, plumbing and electrical components were inspected and approved. It's a good idea to go into the municipality and speak with the people at the Building Dept. to get an idea how on top of things they are. Many of those Departments are understaffed and vulnerable to missing things. Don't always believe your eyes with shiny and new. If you can't see through the walls, you can't verify the integrity of the work.

Make sure you get a reputable Home Inspector with lots of good references. Look for the Inspector with experience in the trades. I recently sold my home and as soon as the Home Inspector walked on the property, I knew he was not going to uncover any issues in my home. You want an Inspector who will walk the roof, crawl into tight spaces, climb a ladder. The most devastating deficiencies are structural and sometimes you need to get dirty to uncover them. The Inspector that is wielding a bunch of fancy gadgets to do the work probably has little or no instincts and lacks extensive experience with any form of construction.

Good luck. I know it must be hard to leave California. It is such a beautiful state.
....wow! Thanks man. That's a lot of info to cover for noob buyers. ;). I have no clue how the market will fluctuate in the next coming months. Hopefully, it will be in our favor.

I'm worried not finding right place Or getting shafted by Realtor. You know the feeling. When your dropping pension money that offers no No Returns (All sales are final). It gives that feeling of walking a tightrope.

I'll be sure to be asking bunch of questions. My wife is even open to getting manufactured home (mobile home). They sure look Real Nice out there. I keep insisting to her, its not a wise investment in the long run. ...sigh...

Best to stick to brick n mortar.

Anyhow, very grateful for the info shared.

PS.. At one time CA was a nice place to call home. The weather, sport teams, descent people etc. That was 20-25 yrs ago. It changed so much, unfortunately not in good way.
The last person with class values that lived in CA, was Ray Kroc Mr McDonald's. And the last business person that believed in The American Dream. He did his best to share it.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
....wow! Thanks man. That's a lot of info to cover for noob buyers. ;). I have no clue how the market will fluctuate in the next coming months. Hopefully, it will be in our favor.

I'm worried not finding right place Or getting shafted by Realtor. You know the feeling. When your dropping pension money that offers no No Returns (All sales are final). It gives that feeling of walking a tightrope.

I'll be sure to be asking bunch of questions. My wife is even open to getting manufactured home (mobile home). They sure look Real Nice out there. I keep insisting to her, its not a wise investment in the long run. ...sigh...

Best to stick to brick n mortar.

Anyhow, very grateful for the info shared.

PS.. At one time CA was a nice place to call home. The weather, sport teams, descent people etc. That was 20-25 yrs ago. It changed so much, unfortunately not in good way.
The last person with class values that lived in CA, was Ray Kroc Mr McDonald's. And the last business person that believed in The American Dream. He did his best to share it.
If you have not settled on a Realtor, try this site https://www.upnest.com from Realtor dot com and see what they present to you. You should get a few to select from. We found a really good Realtor from that site. Be careful with Mobile homes and be sure to dig into the details about any land lease arrangement (big in Cali) you may be getting yourself into. Be alert to Realtors who are acting as double agents for a home you are interested in (representing buyer and seller). It's unethical and you should probably look for different representation.

Praxit

Reaction score
If you have not settled on a Realtor, try this site https://www.upnest.com from Realtor dot com and see what they present to you. You should get a few to select from. We found a really good Realtor from that site. Be careful with Mobile homes and be sure to dig into the details about any land lease arrangement (big in Cali) you may be getting yourself into. Be alert to Realtors who are acting as double agents for a home you are interested in (representing buyer and seller). It's unethical and you should probably look for different representation.
...thanks man, I'll definitely look up the website. I talk to the wife earlier this morn. Now she's up in the air with AZ. Maybe try NM or UT...lol....

But I imagine, buying property is pretty much same everywhere. So the info is still relevant for the situations.

Maybe she wants to be Mormon.. IDK....lol.. Will see where this goes.

Much thanks, Nighttrain. Peace upon you, man. :).

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
...thanks man, I'll definitely look up the website. I talk to the wife earlier this morn. Now she's up in the air with AZ. Maybe try NM or UT...lol....

But I imagine, buying property is pretty much same everywhere. So the info is still relevant for the situations.

Maybe she wants to be Mormon.. IDK....lol.. Will see where this goes.

Much thanks, Nighttrain. Peace upon you, man. :).
Best of luck to you and your Bride, Praxit.