Moving out of CA, likely to AZ

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
......yep gents, the ship sailed on us to buy property in CA. In fact, it sailed about 15 yrs go.

We managed to save. But its ridiculous what you'll get for avg 2 bedroom home. At very near $500,000 or more.

For that price we should see better situations, elsewhere. We do have some family in AZ. Very likely moving there.

We have NO home buying XP. What are some things to look for? What are some thing to WATCH OUT for?

Anyone with prior home buyers XP? any feedback is appreciated.
To buy a home that looks somewhat impressive in the Los Angeles area will set you back at least $2 million. $500,000 would buy you a nice looking home in Arizona but not in Ca, at least not in the LA area.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
......yep gents, the ship sailed on us to buy property in CA. In fact, it sailed about 15 yrs go.

We managed to save. But its ridiculous what you'll get for avg 2 bedroom home. At very near $500,000 or more.

For that price we should see better situations, elsewhere. We do have some family in AZ. Very likely moving there.

We have NO home buying XP. What are some things to look for? What are some thing to WATCH OUT for?

Anyone with prior home buyers XP? any feedback is appreciated.
Ive bought and sold about 40 homes.....I only have 3 left, I mostly rent for a year, to avoid short term capital f
Games, then I flip.as far as my long term home...I make sure my wife loves it, then I buy.. I haven't financed anything since 2010

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The headlines of folks supposedly leaving California “in droves” is complete nonsense.

The net migration (those moving into vs. out of) legal residents leaving California in 2023 was just 91,000. That’s .002% of the state’s total population (38.9M).

Not even a blip. But please, continue with the hysteria.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The headlines of folks supposedly leaving California “in droves” is complete nonsense.

The net migration (those moving into vs. out of) legal residents leaving California in 2023 was just 91,000. That’s .002% of the state’s total population (38.9M).

Not even a blip. But please, continue with the hysteria.
Your math is wrong.

Using your numbers, it’s actually a 0.234% population loss…..which is 100x greater than what you are claiming.

A quarter of a percent in population decrease in ONE YEAR is ABSOLUTELY more than just a “blip”.

Any loss of population is enormous. Especially in today’s day and age. It hardly ever happens.

And with California, this has been going on for 3 or 4 years. Now it’s a TREND.

Last edited:

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Im actually getting really serious about moving TO California, specifically Oxnard (No, not just because of the Cowboys lol). I love being a native Texan, but between Texas and living in West Virginia the last decade or so, Im just so sick of hot and humid summers. Oxnard is never more than like 75 degrees year round, and no freezing, snowy winters either. Right on the beach, Oxnard is apparently one of the "cheaper" places to live by Southern Cal standards. I know it's gonna be costly, but me and my wife are taking the approach of "you get what you pay for".......Also all the big city amenities of LA are only an hour-ish away. We visited in May, went to a local Walmart and got a few of the same things we get back in WV, and it wasnt that big of a difference in price, alcohol was actually cheaper (you cant even buy liquor at Walmarts in WV). Im also ok just staying a renter, I've never cared about owning a big ol yard, cause yardwork is for suckers anyway lol.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
These are called TRENDS and not BLIPS:

The population of California in 2023 was 38,965,193, a 0.19% decline from 2022.
The population of California in 2022 was 39,040,616, a 0.27% decline from 2021.
The population of California in 2021 was 39,145,060, a 0.91% decline from 2020.

The population of Texas in 2023 was 30,503,301, a 1.58% increase from 2022.
The population of Texas in 2022 was 30,029,848, a 1.59% increase from 2021.
The population of Texas in 2021 was 29,561,286, a 1.12% increase from 2020.
The population of Texas in 2020 was 29,234,361, a 0.85% increase from 2019.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Are you all pensioners or how can you move around so freely? I'd love to pack up my stuff and move to SoCal. Even applied for a couple of Jobs some years ago but they all payed worse with more hours lol. Now as a dad the wife comes along with "can't take the kids out of their life" stuff. I'm basically stuck.

Not in the worst life, so that makes it even harder. I'm basically the Cowboys with the Dak situation haha. Things are kinda fine right now and regular life is on the winning side. But trying something new as long as I'm still young enough to do it seems harder now than I thought.

Anyways, wish all you movers the best and hope you'll find a nice home at your new place!

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Are you all pensioners or how can you move around so freely? I'd love to pack up my stuff and move to SoCal. Even applied for a couple of Jobs some years ago but they all payed worse with more hours lol. Now as a dad the wife comes along with "can't take the kids out of their life" stuff. I'm basically stuck.

Not in the worst life, so that makes it even harder. I'm basically the Cowboys with the Dak situation haha. Things are kinda fine right now and regular life is on the winning side. But trying something new as long as I'm still young enough to do it seems harder now than I thought.

Anyways, wish all you movers the best and hope you'll find a nice home at your new place!
In my case, me and my wife dont have kids and will never have any, so we are able to save pretty easily. Also, my Uncle is getting ready to sell my deceased Dad's house, which gets split between me, my 2 brothers and 3 step siblings, the house should sell for at least $350k in the DFW market.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No thanks. Arizona heat. It’s a shame California has screwed so much up. Beautiful state and weather, and used to be the prime destination. Although I could deal without the earthquakes.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your math is wrong.

Using your numbers, it’s actually a 0.234% population loss…..which is 100x greater than what you are claiming.

A quarter of a percent in population decrease in ONE YEAR is ABSOLUTELY more than just a “blip”.

Any loss of population is enormous. Especially in today’s day and age. It hardly ever happens.

And with California, this has been going on for 3 or 4 years. Now it’s a TREND.
Yeah, it’s not despite the wishful thinking to say otherwise.

91,000 net people leaving in a state of 38,900,000 is nothing.

In fact, the population grew last year based on net births vs. net deaths. https://www.kcra.com/article/california-population-grows/60648557

The out-migration numbers the past few years dating back to 2021-2023 were artificially inflated due in large part the advent of remote work and increases in deaths (due to obvious worldwide issues). Now that more companies are enforcing back-in-office mandates (or at minimum, hybrid schedules), those out-migration numbers have been trending, predictably down. Go figure.

California, especially the Bay Area, is an expensive place to live. Why? Because people want to live here which increases demand on housing. People that can’t do it leave. This is not a problem for West Virginia, Indiana, et cetera.

The “mass exodus” has been greatly exaggerated.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do not turn this thread into some kind of weird pissing contest.

If someone wants to move, so be it. No need to turn it into an argument.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
These are called TRENDS and not BLIPS:

The population of California in 2023 was 38,965,193, a 0.19% decline from 2022.
The population of California in 2022 was 39,040,616, a 0.27% decline from 2021.
The population of California in 2021 was 39,145,060, a 0.91% decline from 2020.
Which way are those numbers going?

Let me know if you help.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Which way are those numbers going?

Let me know if you help.
Down. The numbers are all going down. They are all a negative from the year before.

Whether it be money, population, production, etc.… A negative result three years in a row is not a good sign. It doesn’t matter how small of a “negative”. People are obviously leaving California in droves for a reason, and it’s obviously not just a one off “blip”.

And feel free to apologize for doing the math incorrectly.

Humility goes a long way.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Down. The numbers are all going down. They are all a negative from the year before.

Whether it be money, population, production, etc.… A negative result three years in a row is not a good sign. It doesn’t matter how small of a “negative”. People are obviously leaving California in droves for a reason, and it’s obviously not just a one off “blip”.
Then you don’t understand what a trend (or a “blip”) is, so let me educate you.

The clear trend based on the data you provided indicates clearly that the out-migration numbers are trending down i.e., less people are leaving the state as demonstrated in three consecutive years of data.

That’s called a trend.

A blip is something that doesn’t even constitute a quarter of 1% of the total population. You wanting it to be a major new breaking issue doesn’t make it so.

I’ll give you another example of a blip. That being Texas’ expenditure on R&D expenditures over time:

#1 California $217,976,000

Texas? $34,589,000

I don’t expect you to understand why R&D expenditure is vital to the country. I do thank Texas for inventing new ways to fry twinkies and candy bars though.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, then you don’t understand what a trend (or a “blip”) is, so let me educate you.

The clear trend based on the data you provided indicates clearly that the out-migration numbers are trending down i.e., less people are leaving the state as demonstrated in three consecutive years of data. That’s called a trend.

A blip is something that doesn’t even constitute a quarter of 1% of the total population. You wanting it to be a major new breaking issue doesn’t make it so.

I’ll give you another example of a blip. That being Texas’ expenditure on R&D expenditures over time:

#1 California $217,976,000

Texas? $34,589,000

I don’t expect you to understand why R&D expenditure is vital to the country. I do thank Texas for inventing new ways to fry twinkies and candy bars though.
I use to work for Charles Schwab in Austin and about 50% of the employees there were from California. Almost all of them were planning the day they could move back.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I use to work for Charles Schwab in Austin and about 50% of the employees there were from California. Almost all of them were planning the day they could move back.
Yep, I can’t tell you how many news articles and videos on YouTube I see titled “We made a mistake….We’re moving back…” in reference to leaving TX to go back to CA.

People are so intellectually dishonest about ignoring the obvious context (increased deaths due to reasons we all know + the advent of remote work) in an effort to try and make a lame point. Whatever, can’t stop folks from heeeehawing.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
this-is-fine.jpg

A live view of people living in California