Mozilla browser said to have hacker risk

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score

London, England, Jul. 9 (UPI) -- A popular browser for Windows is subject to a security hole for hackers, British researchers say, but this time it's not Internet Explorer.

The vulnerability involves Mozilla and Firefox browsers in this case, the Register reported Friday.

The flaw is said to affect Mozilla and Firefox on Windows XP or Windows 2000 only. Security firm Secunia rates the problem as "moderately critical."

Security researchers discovered users could be attacked by hackers using a bug in how Mozilla and Firefox handle the "shell:" function in Windows.

The function enables Web sites to invoke various programs associated with specific extensions.

The Mozilla Foundation issued a patch Thursday that resolves the flaw by disabling the use of the shell: external protocol handler.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:

London, England, Jul. 9 (UPI) -- A popular browser for Windows is subject to a security hole for hackers, British researchers say, but this time it's not Internet Explorer.

The vulnerability involves Mozilla and Firefox browsers in this case, the Register reported Friday.

The flaw is said to affect Mozilla and Firefox on Windows XP or Windows 2000 only. Security firm Secunia rates the problem as "moderately critical."

Security researchers discovered users could be attacked by hackers using a bug in how Mozilla and Firefox handle the "shell:" function in Windows.

The function enables Web sites to invoke various programs associated with specific extensions.

The Mozilla Foundation issued a patch Thursday that resolves the flaw by disabling the use of the shell: external protocol handler.

Thanks for the heads up....I have been using that browser at home lately.

I went to the mozilla site and did not see a patch.

I noticed in my options I have an automatic update feature and double checked to see if there any updates and said I did not need any.

So I do not know if I got the patch already or not :confused:

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
You only need the patch if you have 0.9.1 or earlier. Firefox 0.9.2 has the patch already installed.

Not sure which version of Mozilla has/needs the patch.