CFZ Much better game by run defense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know Dallas was getting some praise for its run defense against Minnesota, but as some of us have pointed out, it was more of a matter of the Vikings not running as much as they should have despite Cook averaging 6.6 yards per carry against us.

Against New York, the Giants also chose to pass more than I thought they would. They essentially wanted to do like Chicago (which I expected) and put pressure on the free defender to choose between getting after the QB or covering the target in the flat. (I thought Jones would run more in those situations, but I do think we did a better job of contain than we did against the Bears.) However, when they did try to run, they weren't successful overall.

Barkley averaged 3.6 per carry (after averaging 5.8 against us the first time), and really the only success they had was late in the game when they were playing catch-up and ran a couple of times with two backs on the field and using Barkley as a decoy.

Hope we can duplicate that effort against Indy. They've got a good back, but haven't had a consistent run game. We get them to abandon it, and they don't have a shot IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Agreed there is still much work to be done . Taylor then Eitienne, Henry but a step in the right direction
Hopefully Hankins is ready on Sunday

It's kind of funny that our best run defense game happened without him. I thought Bohanna did a pretty good job in the middle. Of course, we did have the advantage of New York playing four backup linemen.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Not really. Like the Vikings stupidly did, they got away from the run.

when the Giants put in that backup RB, he kept gashing us.

the reason the packers came back so easily was because they stuck with the run. If any other team does that, the defense is toast. That and if they target Anthony Brown.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

the reason the packers came back so easily was because they stuck with the run. If any other team does that, the defense is toast. That and if they target Anthony Brown.
Tell me, what team do you root for again?

Brown is not a good jumper, plus he's short. All the coaches have to do is tell him to quit playing the ball and just play the WR. In other words not the ball out when the receiver is trying to bring it in, instead of trying to stop the ball from getting to the receiver. Easy fix.

And as we have seen in other games this year, it doesn't matter how well a team runs against us. As long as our ground game can pretty much match the output of theirs, it will still come down to the QB's and play calling.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know Dallas was getting some praise for its run defense against Minnesota, but as some of us have pointed out, it was more of a matter of the Vikings not running as much as they should have despite Cook averaging 6.6 yards per carry against us.

Against New York, the Giants also chose to pass more than I thought they would. They essentially wanted to do like Chicago (which I expected) and put pressure on the free defender to choose between getting after the QB or covering the target in the flat. (I thought Jones would run more in those situations, but I do think we did a better job of contain than we did against the Bears.) However, when they did try to run, they weren't successful overall.

Barkley averaged 3.6 per carry (after averaging 5.8 against us the first time), and really the only success they had was late in the game when they were playing catch-up and ran a couple of times with two backs on the field and using Barkley as a decoy.

Hope we can duplicate that effort against Indy. They've got a good back, but haven't had a consistent run game. We get them to abandon it, and they don't have a shot IMO.

The Giants had 4 oline starters out. They were playing the backups. 3.6 ypc with a backup oline ain't bad.

starfan1

Reaction score
It's kind of funny that our best run defense game happened without him. I thought Bohanna did a pretty good job in the middle. Of course, we did have the advantage of New York playing four backup linemen.
To be fair he’s only played 1 game though right?

Skynet

Reaction score
Tell me, what team do you root for again?

Brown is not a good jumper, plus he's short. All the coaches have to do is tell him to quit playing the ball and just play the WR. In other words not the ball out when the receiver is trying to bring it in, instead of trying to stop the ball from getting to the receiver. Easy fix.

And as we have seen in other games this year, it doesn't matter how well a team runs against us. As long as our ground game can pretty much match the output of theirs, it will still come down to the QB's and play calling.
Dude , seriously. When did being a fan mean you can never criticize your team’s players? No team has a perfect roster. Actually , the cowboys lost their last two playoff games because they couldn’t stop the run.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dude , seriously. When did being a fan mean you can never criticize your team’s players? No team has a perfect roster. Actually , the cowboys lost their last two playoff games because they couldn’t stop the run.
I can count the number of positive post some fans have made on one hand.
And I don't think there is a fan on this board that loves every player (and their contact) on this site.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score

We will win the next 3

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

With Dak at QB and the offense back in the #1 in the NFL range, the run defense is going to look better at times. Simply because we will get leads and teams may have to play catch up or abandon the run at times. Im not convinced they have turned the corner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its all situational for the most part. The vikings game we got such a lead so fast that they really had to abandon the run.

Packers they stuck with the run, but then they made big plays in the passing game to get scores.

Giants gashed us with the backup because we were defending the pass and giving them the run game.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
With Dak at QB and the offense back in the #1 in the NFL range, the run defense is going to look better at times. Simply because we will get leads and teams may have to play catch up or abandon the run at times. Im not convinced they have turned the corner.
Dak and the gang just have to manage the ball well. Keep it as long as possible. Whenever they did that, we won.

Out run defense still is very vulnerable. But our pass defense / rush excells and when the offense complements that by keeping that ball then we're all set. The longer Micah and the guys can rest, the more in trouble is the QB in the other side.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak and the gang just have to manage the ball well. Keep it as long as possible. Whenever they did that, we won.

Out run defense still is very vulnerable. But our pass defense / rush excells and when the offense complements that by keeping that ball then we're all set. The longer Micah and the guys can rest, the more in trouble is the QB in the other side.

Yah, I will take early leads over scoring slowly. We can drag it out after we get a lead for my taste. Let the boys tee off with a big lead.

Being too aggressive can be an issue as well though. As MM helped keep the Giants in the game with his dumb in game management early.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I agree that it will be in question until some team just tries to run until we stop it. The Giants' plan was to play-fake and throw a lot on early downs, trying to avoid our pass rush. But when they did try to establish the run, they couldn't. One of these teams that we face is going to play us more like Green Bay by running over and over again, especially early in the game, to establish it and try to pass off that. We'll see how we do when that happens.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

U know what a run first ball control team should do? Pay the quarterback a billion dollars. Cut the teams best WR and put little to no emphasis on building the interior DL. That's how you prepare to become that team.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I really hope Bohanna works out and becomes a difference maker on the cowboys d line

I'm still hoping that we make addressing DT a priority next offseason. We've got several rotational pieces, but I don't think we have a difference-maker at the spot. If we get a player who can regularly blow up the interior, it will take the defense to the next level.