CFZ Much better game by run defense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have no problem with the hot hand either. But Pollard needs to get his 15 carries and 5 catches. Zeke can have the rest. If thats 20 carries so be it. IN that case we are probably blowing them out and he's getting mop up duty.

I think we should generally be in the range of 15-18 for Pollard and 12-15 for Zeke. If we're doing that, we're probably winning. If we're only carrying it 20 times, that's probably not a good thing unless Pollard just ripped off multiple long runs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
What YPC would you expect out of Pollard if 4 of our starting olinemen were out?

Don't know. Depends on what kind of run defense we were going against. Run blocking usually is a lot easier for backup linemen than pass blocking.

Einstein

Reaction score
The run D was good when Watkins and Bohanna were in, they got their run game going when Gallimore and Osi were in.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The run D was good when Watkins and Bohanna were in, they got their run game going when Gallimore and Osi were in.

Thought Watkins played pretty well, other than that unnecessary defensive hold when it had nothing to do with the play that was made in the backfield.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Its funny when people talk about our run d. It isn't just against running backs. Running qbs have hurt us as well. I saw a couple times the giants try and do that rollout misdirection stuff, and Micah was waiting for Daniel jones. Hell one or two times Micah just stopped and waited for the qb to come to him.

I think your gonna see more of this, against the likes of mobile quarterbacks. I also think we played with better gap integrity, the focus is there.

Here's the thing. This defense is different. it doesn't matter if the offense is 3rd and 2 yards or 3. We can play any coverage we want on most third downs because we can get in on the passer. Moral of the story. Just get to third down.... sure its easier if the offense has 3rd and short, but our defense is so good we can overcome that. Just focus on winning 1st and 2nd downs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Its funny when people talk about our run d. It isn't just against running backs. Running qbs have hurt us as well. I saw a couple times the giants try and do that rollout misdirection stuff, and Micah was waiting for Daniel jones. Hell one or two times Micah just stopped and waited for the qb to come to him.

I think your gonna see more of this, against the likes of mobile quarterbacks. I also think we played with better gap integrity, the focus is there.

Here's the thing. This defense is different. it doesn't matter if the offense is 3rd and 2 yards or 3. We can play any coverage we want on most third downs because we can get in on the passer. Moral of the story. Just get to third down.... sure its easier if the offense has 3rd and short, but our defense is so good we can overcome that. Just focus on winning 1st and 2nd downs.

Lawrence was better at not biting on the fake either like he did against Chicago. If Lawrence had pinched down more on the running back on the RPOs, we probably would have seen at least a few more runs by Jones.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know Dallas was getting some praise for its run defense against Minnesota, but as some of us have pointed out, it was more of a matter of the Vikings not running as much as they should have despite Cook averaging 6.6 yards per carry against us.

Against New York, the Giants also chose to pass more than I thought they would. They essentially wanted to do like Chicago (which I expected) and put pressure on the free defender to choose between getting after the QB or covering the target in the flat. (I thought Jones would run more in those situations, but I do think we did a better job of contain than we did against the Bears.) However, when they did try to run, they weren't successful overall.

Barkley averaged 3.6 per carry (after averaging 5.8 against us the first time), and really the only success they had was late in the game when they were playing catch-up and ran a couple of times with two backs on the field and using Barkley as a decoy.

Hope we can duplicate that effort against Indy. They've got a good back, but haven't had a consistent run game. We get them to abandon it, and they don't have a shot IMO.
Also helps that Indy doesn’t have a mobile qb, look what we did against Cousins.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Not really. Like the Vikings stupidly did, they got away from the run.

when the Giants put in that backup RB, he kept gashing us.

the reason the packers came back so easily was because they stuck with the run. If any other team does that, the defense is toast. That and if they target Anthony Brown.

the reason the packers came back so easily was because they stuck with the run. If any other team does that, the defense is toast. That and if they target Anthony Brown.

Chicago stuck to the run. Chewed up clock. The Giants burned a lot of clock sticking to the run in the 4th. Green Bay came back because Rogers became the old Rogers in the 4th. The Green Bay has plenty of blame to go around…

blueblood70

Reaction score
Also helps that Indy doesn’t have a mobile qb, look what we did against Cousins.
they do have Taylor though, so there's that,, I know their Interim HC and he knows what the DC kryptonite is as hes sat up on Espn and broke down games, talked about what gives us trouble. and will have his team ready like, they were against Philly , look for a team to run 40+ times and not give up on it..

trust me teams will test this theory many more times over the next 6 games.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
they do have Taylor though, so there's that,, I know their Interim HC and he knows what the DC kryptonite is as hes sat up on Espn and broke down games, talked about what gives us trouble. and will have his team ready like, they were against Philly , look for a team to run 40+ times and not give up on it..

trust me teams will test this theory many more times over the next 6 games.
I agree, but Indy’s OL has really struggled this yr

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

In the greenbay game , AR targeted Bland and Joseph.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's kind of funny that our best run defense game happened without him. I thought Bohanna did a pretty good job in the middle. Of course, we did have the advantage of New York playing four backup linemen.
NYG 1 starting OL active in this game...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Packers won because WR Watson had 3 receiving TDs...He has 2 total in all other games played.

Watson averaged 27 yards per catch in that game...He averaged 9.7 in all other games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
NYG 1 starting OL active in this game...

You can only play who you have in front of you. And we played well against who we had in front of us. I can't gauge how it would have been different with the other four starters.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I know Dallas was getting some praise for its run defense against Minnesota, but as some of us have pointed out, it was more of a matter of the Vikings not running as much as they should have despite Cook averaging 6.6 yards per carry against us.

Against New York, the Giants also chose to pass more than I thought they would. They essentially wanted to do like Chicago (which I expected) and put pressure on the free defender to choose between getting after the QB or covering the target in the flat. (I thought Jones would run more in those situations, but I do think we did a better job of contain than we did against the Bears.) However, when they did try to run, they weren't successful overall.

Barkley averaged 3.6 per carry (after averaging 5.8 against us the first time), and really the only success they had was late in the game when they were playing catch-up and ran a couple of times with two backs on the field and using Barkley as a decoy.

Hope we can duplicate that effort against Indy. They've got a good back, but haven't had a consistent run game. We get them to abandon it, and they don't have a shot IMO.
The real test Is Philly.