Murray leaving should = more Dez

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When I say this, I am not saying abandon the run nor am I saying go back to having Romo throw 50 times a game. What I am saying is we should lean on Dez a tad more. Plenty of times he would go a whole half with 0-2 receptions. Last year, Dez averaged 5.5 catches a game. I think of we can get that number up to say 8, it would help make up for the loss of Demarco. It will also make the defense play back a little more, giving whoever our new rb is some more space to work with.

Leaning on Dez more would lead to forcing throws to him which would likely lead to more int's for Romo and less efficiency. Dez sees a lot of double coverage which opens up opportunities for other receivers. To keep the passing game efficient and the defense off the field the Cowboys need to continue controlling the ball with the running game. For the Cowboys to build on the success they had in 2014 they have to maintain a strong running game. It would be a mistake to lean on one receiver especially with all the attention Dez receives it would result in a less efficient passing game. Take Matt Stafford for example although he's a very productive passer he's never been very efficient and some of that is due to leaning on Calvin Johnson too much.

He forces a lot of throws to him which has led to a number of int's and a career 83.6 passer rating. Romo use to get in a lot of trouble leaning on TO which helped lead to 33 int's for Romo in 07 and 08. When TO was released after the 08 season the Cowboys went to what Jerry called a "Romo friendly" offense where Romo spread the ball around and it reduced his int's to a career low of 9 and the Cowboys ended up having a very good season which included their first playoff win in 13 years. With all the attention Dez receives it makes it difficult for him to separate so the Cowboys need to spread the ball around in the passing game while still giving Dez his opportunities.

dupree89

Reaction score
More Dez will also lead to more of our defense. No thanks. Keep running it. A lot. And when you get done running it a lot, run it some more.

erod

Reaction score
I still have a feeling AP will be here come next season. Maybe im a blind optimist

It's not crazy. The problem is the Minnesota fan base still stings from the Herschel trade. They'd rather trade with somebody else for PR reasons.

It'll take more from Dallas than other teams to get him.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
It's not crazy. The problem is the Minnesota fan base still stings from the Herschel trade. They'd rather trade with somebody else for PR reasons.

It'll take more from Dallas than other teams to get him.

Agreed. If the Walker trade was reversed I couldn't imagine the fans that would be losing their minds thinking of another trade with the Vikes.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Not too worried about forcing the ball to Dez. He'll get his naturally over the course of a game, and if he isn't, it likely means other guys are. It shouldn't be about getting one guys stats up.

True.m

I think if anything... Murray never really made great cuts and didn't have break away speed.

Stick to the run EVEN MORE next season. I think there will be good results.