Video: Murray led the NFL in yards, then retired after only 3 more seasons. What happened?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Jones boys had a limit they were going to give him. He wanted more, so he was allowed to go get it elsewhere. How is that such a mystery? The Jones boys should have conducted the negotiations with Zeke the same way. Good RBs can be had so much cheaper.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't blame anyone wanting and getting more money. I don't get the crybabies that keep griping about Zeke, Dak and others....if you wouldn't do the same, I wouldn't want to be associated with you. Any man or woman wants to maximize their earnings.
And, spare me the Tom Brady crap......he's a multi millionaire!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Can't blame anyone wanting and getting more money. I don't get the crybabies that keep griping about Zeke, Dak and others....if you wouldn't do the same, I wouldn't want to be associated with you. Any man or woman wants to maximize their earnings.

I agree. I can't sweat any player trying to maximize his earning potential, especially when they're putting their bodies on the line for our pleasure and enjoyment.
I might not think they're worth it, but I'm not mad at Zeke, Dak or any player who has the leverage to get as much money as possible.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

You are missing the point about money and salaries in the NFL. Jerry even said it. Signing Dak and Elliott and Lawrence to huge contracts is not coming out of Jerry’s pocket. It is not a battle of Jerry’s money vs Dak’s money. It is about a set pool of money to be divided among the players. Paying Dak an extra $10M is taking money away from other players on the team.

One has to spread the money around wisely to build a balanced team capable of competing for a championship.

Take Romo and Aikman for example. They could have taken less money to add more and better players to increase chances of winning a championship. Both had likely careers after football to make even more money. Romo is making $18M/yr announcing games. Aikman probably made more money from announcing than as a player. Win championships and more doors and opportunities open.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

About Tom Brady, not only is he a multi-millionaire and has a rich wife, but he made a short-term sacrifice for long-term gain. Even though he didn't make all he could, he was banking on winning more Super Bowls. With seven Super Bowl rings, Tom Brady's earning potential will roll right into his non-football career - unlike many players who need to make all they can while they're playing. He will command MAJOR dollars on the speaking circuit - e.g., speaking to corporations (that like to pay HUGE dollars to speakers who can talk about leadership) and other groups. Tim Tebow makes between $30,000 and $50,000 per speaking event. Brady, as a seven time Super Bowl champion with 10 Super Bowl appearances, can command 5x the amount Tebow makes. And imagine if he speaks 10 times a year. And I didn't even mention all the other ventures available to Brady, such as the broadcast booth, ambassador of the NFL, product pitchman, etc.

Brady doesn't have to worry about making money ever again in his life. What he gave up, he'll get back.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are missing the point about money and salaries in the NFL. Jerry even said it. Signing Dak and Elliott and Lawrence to huge contracts is not coming out of Jerry’s pocket. It is not a battle of Jerry’s money vs Dak’s money. It is about a set pool of money to be divided among the players. Paying Dak an extra $10M is taking money away from other players on the team.

One has to spread the money around wisely to build a balanced team capable of competing for a championship.

Take Romo and Aikman for example. They could have taken less money to add more and better players to increase chances of winning a championship. Both had likely careers after football to make even more money. Romo is making $18M/yr announcing games. Aikman probably made more money from announcing than as a player. Win championships and more doors and opportunities open.
I didn't miss anything....let them worry about the cap. Not a players fault for wanting to get paid and knowing that the team will cut them in a heartbeat when they get hurt or they get a cheap replacement.

terra

Reaction score

Gee how did all those other teams wins championships the last 25 years without getting home town discounts?
This kind of BS is just a chance for nothings to take shots at somethings.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Not to mention, Brady is married to one of the richest women on the planet. It's easy to be "team friendly" when the wife is worth $400 million on her own.

erod

Reaction score
He was going to stay here in the end until Chip Kelly make a late offer, overpaid him, then barely used him.

Chip Kelly was the biggest fraud who ever coached in the NFL. And TV analysts like Collinsworth, Gruden, and others slobbered all over him and claimed he'd change the game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He was a great player for us, but he wanted more money on the open market. Can't be mad at him for that.
We burned him out in the season he went 1800 yrs for us. We knew we would not realign him so they ran him in the ground. He made his money with his new team but the Eagles would not commit to running him. So he became expendable. The Eagles wanted to cripple us and thought signing him would do that. Subtraction by signing him so to speak.. Of course we quickly realized we needed a running game so Zeke was drafted. Interesting how it works. Now everybody is worried Zeke is breaking down and want to ditch him. Please...

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not to mention, Brady is married to one of the richest women on the planet. It's easy to be "team friendly" when the wife is worth $400 million on her own.
Part of the reason she made so much money is she married Tom, who was a star player , SB champ,and nice looking.
It made her more famous , hence she got bigger contracts. What was her net worth back when they got married?
I would say nothing close to what it is today.
Tom married a smart business woman, where other players marry women who just want to help them spend that money lol.

Tom is a smart guy, so the team friendly deals he might have done even if he wasnt married to her, because he
wanted to win more SB's.

QB's today could live very good on 25 mil a year, they dont need that extra 10-15 mil.
They could do a team friendly deal for 25, but if they did they should be the one to spend that extra money
on players THEY want. If they leave to the gm's that money could be wasted or just not spent lol.

Tom got to pick some players he wanted like gronk and brown, and another one I forget, so it was like he got
to buy the players he wanted.

John813

Reaction score
The eagles foolish sign an one cut N-S runner to be a shifty E-W back.

When he went to the titans he reverted back to a good back the first year. Injuries and wear caught up to him shortly after. Not to mention the titans had a good back behind him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

I watched this and some good HL, but the commentary is kinda lame and timid.
I always liked murray and he was great in 2014, and they should have signed him .
He wasnt burnt out , we had the OL, but when they let murray go, that led to changing the Off , and Tony getting
the broke collarbone.

Had they kept murray it would have been a continuation of 2014 and they might have made it to the SB.
If they had won a SB it would have been worth paying murray.
I am positive that if they had signed murray tony doesnt get hurt.

Murray broke OJ's record,and jim browns record, for 100 yd games in a row, and emmit's single season total yds record.
Also he still holds the single game record for the cowboys.

Mr. party boy has not come close to any of these records, but jones pays him 15 mil a year while in a pass first offense!
They could have had murray for 8 mil a year. But they got cheap and also as they say in this video chose dez over
murray lol and look how that turned out! Dez gets hurt in game one and was never the same. later tony gets hurt
trying to pass instead of handing off to murray.

when they let murray go they threw a SB chance out the window.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I didn't miss anything....let them worry about the cap. Not a players fault for wanting to get paid and knowing that the team will cut them in a heartbeat when they get hurt or they get a cheap replacement.

You don't seem to understand how the cap and money works.

Put simply. Say a company can pay its 5 employees no more than100 per year total for all 5. One employee demands 40 dollars. That leaves 60 dollars for the other 4 (15 dollars each). Now the one employee says I want 60 dollars. That means the other 4 employees have to share 40 dollars.

Every dollar that goes to Dak does not go to any other player. It is that simple. The money is not a battle between Jerry and the player.

Would you be happy going to work when one employee gets 20% of the total allowable payroll and does not perform while you get 1% of the total allowable payroll?

kskboys

Reaction score
So, money is more important to you than family, life, friends, winning, everything?

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't seem to understand how the cap and money works.

Put simply. Say a company can pay its 5 employees no more than100 per year total for all 5. One employee demands 40 dollars. That leaves 60 dollars for the other 4 (15 dollars each). Now the one employee says I want 60 dollars. That means the other 4 employees have to share 40 dollars.

Every dollar that goes to Dak does not go to any other player. It is that simple. The money is not a battle between Jerry and the player.

Would you be happy going to work when one employee gets 20% of the total allowable payroll and does not perform while you get 1% of the total allowable payroll?
Well done.

Contrary to popular belief on this site, greed is not good.