Music That Makes a Difference

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What I consider to be the most important song ever written:

I think it was Pulp Fiction where they have the dialogue about Elvis vs Beatles fans? Tarantino says he's never met a big Beatles fans who is a big Elvis fan, and vice versa. You have to be one or the other.

I disagree, I like both, but when talking about which one you are a bigger fan of - definitely Elvis for me. Those Gospel, Blues roots closer to me than the Pop, Acid Trip from Beatles.

So don't know if other fans would say this, but for me the Elvis version of John Lennon's Imagine would be this song. Same great theme. I already posted original song in the Elvis thread, so I'll post the recent movie version of it that shows some quick scenes about the world at the time.

I guess ten years earlier than Lennon's Imagine, but both went through the same craziness in the 60's and 70's.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it was Pulp Fiction where they have the dialogue about Elvis vs Beatles fans? Tarantino says he's never met a big Beatles fans who is a big Elvis fan, and vice versa. You have to be one or the other.

I disagree, I like both, but when talking about which one you are a bigger fan of - definitely Elvis for me. Those Gospel, Blues roots closer to me than the Pop, Acid Trip from Beatles.

So don't know if other fans would say this, but for me the Elvis version of John Lennon's Imagine would be this song. Same great theme. I already posted original song in the Elvis thread, so I'll post the recent movie version of it that shows some quick scenes about the world at the time.

I guess ten years earlier than Lennon's Imagine, but both went through the same craziness in the 60's and 70's.

I'm not a big fan of Pulp Fiction, or of many of Tarantino's films really. I like a few of them, but most just seem like stuff a teenager would write, because he thinks it sounds cool.

Anyway, I don't remember that dialogue, but I definitely disagree. I'm a fan of both, though not one of those avid fans who likes everything they did.

To me, Imagine is the ultimate in wishful thinking, for the whole world, not just himself or a select group of people.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Pulp Fiction, or of many of Tarantino's films really. I like a few of them, but most just seem like stuff a teenager would write, because he thinks it sounds cool.

Anyway, I don't remember that dialogue, but I definitely disagree. I'm a fan of both, though not one of those avid fans who likes everything they did.

To me, Imagine is the ultimate in wishful thinking, for the whole world, not just himself or a select group of people.
Agree. I'm a lover of all music.

Here is another all-time song that matches OP's request and is also very close to Imagine's theme. Love this tune.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I first saw these guys on a side stage in Cleveland 20 years ago, selling CDs out of a box for $10. A few years later they were selling out Wembley. That's my kind of band, no excuses, just make it happen. They're like the early 90s Cowboys who wouldn't be denied, unlike the current bunch who just cries, makes excuses, and fans follow suit.

No excuses, no explanations. Win.

pete026

Reaction score
I was listening to this artist for some examples of "Chill Songs" for another thread and came across this rendition of "a song that made a difference".

It also has an interesting backstory. Ravi Shankar met George Harrison and introduced Western Pop music to Indian instruments like the sitar. Norah Jones is Ravi's daughter. This recording is a tribute to the Beatles final live performance on a rooftop in London.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
A powerful protest song that many attribute as the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.

T-RO

Reaction score
I first saw these guys on a side stage in Cleveland 20 years ago, selling CDs out of a box for $10. A few years later they were selling out Wembley. That's my kind of band, no excuses, just make it happen. They're like the early 90s Cowboys who wouldn't be denied, unlike the current bunch who just cries, makes excuses, and fans follow suit.

No excuses, no explanations. Win.

With all respect...not what this thread is about.

T-RO

Reaction score
When the was down and out as a teen this song really spoke to me…

The fact that you personally relate to a song doesn't elevate it to the level we are addressing.

That said...glad you liked a song.

T-RO

Reaction score
Hope we can dig deeper into this:

-This thread is not about: a song that I really, really like.
-This thread is not about: a song I find emotional.

This is a thread about soul-level change music. Societal-level change Music. Songs that challenge the world to think differently. Or challenge you to think differently.

T-RO

Reaction score
A powerful protest song that many attribute as the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.

Roadtrip's example is absolutely in tune to spirit of this thread. But there are many other rich transcendent themes welcomed besides...

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Roadtrip's example is absolutely in tune to spirit of this thread. But there are many other rich transcendent themes welcomed besides...
I watched "Lady Sing The Blues" as a teenager and was fascinated by Billie Holiday and picked a greatest hit album. "Strange Fruit" was such a dark, powerful and sad song and quite controversial at the time, late 1930's, and still provocative 80+ years later.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One of favorite YouTube channels is "Playing For Change", it gathers musicians from around the world and usually covers a song with a message. One of my favorites is a cover of Ben Harper's "With My Own Two Hands", it really encapsulates not only the meaning of the song, but the spirit behind the channel, trying to unite people and inspire change through music.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

This is a thread about soul-level change music. Societal-level change Music. Songs that challenge the world to think differently. Or challenge you to think differently.
T-Ro.. you picked a Tears For Fears song and a recut of a Nine Inch Nails song, (All great songs, though, I agree)

Just saying, it’s eye of the beholder with art and music. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that this song means something and yours doesn’t. No one has the right or authority to be that type of judge.

Okay, unless it’s a Justin Bieber song.. maybe there are some exceptions. ;)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Correct.

Which is why I present to you 69 Boyz “Let me ride that Donkey.”

Checks every box you outlined.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm a huge Chris Cornell fan, so many songs but these jump out for the theme of this thread.