Musical performers taken from us too soon

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
There are way too many musical performers whom we lost too soon. Post in this thread any whom you wish you could bring back for another show. Here are my choices.

1. Kim Shattuck of the Muffs. I'm not even a big punk fan, but the songs Kim wrote in that genre were melodic and relatable. She was a real talent. I was heartbroken when she died toward the end of last year of ALS.
2. Amy Winehouse. I loved her jazzy style with her sultry voice. Her struggles with drugs and alcohol claimed her life in 2011. I miss her, and am bummed I can't go see her live.

Some samples of their music:

Your turn. Which musical performers do you wish could come back and perform for us.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Jimmy Hendrix Is probably the one I lament the most. All the greats are/were in awe of what he could do with an electric guitar . Pacesetter !

I grew up in SE Texas so I also think of Janis Joplin and the Big Bopper (who died with Buddy Holly).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think of the creators and where they might have taken the music and what they would have evolved into musically.

Would Buddy Holly have become country like Jerry Lee Lewis did?

Would Richie Valens have really taken Tejano music completely to the mainstream and paved the way for others to follow? He was told American Anglo teenagers would not accept his music and we did by the millions.

Where would Jimi Hendrix have taken his craft and his legion of followers? Part of the instrument died along with him.

What would the phenomenal Patsy Cline have created had she lived past 30? She brought new meaning to "soul" music because her voice touched ours.

I wasn't a big Doors fan but Morrison had something special and his creativity was limitless.

Prince was not through with his journey, as his music was evolving again, when it was cut far too short.

A guitarist, Tommy Bolin, many might not know, but they've probably heard him, was a personal favorite of mine and he had a style all his own.

Tom Petty was the first musician to successfully tell the record labels to go to hell and more than any artist I can think of, stayed true to his sound, his gift to us, and just kept cranking out that great dependable music.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
GREAT choice.

Luckily I had a chance to see him one week before he died. The news of his passing really shook me for a while.

I think we've discussed this before, saw him in Norman Oklahoma about 3 weeks before the accident. He was an amazing player.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think we've discussed this before, saw him in Norman Oklahoma about 3 weeks before the accident. He was an amazing player.

I'm jealous of you guys. I would love to have seen him play. In high school, I learned his solo to Crazy Train note for note and played it in a school talent show with my band. Super fun song and solo to play.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think of the creators and where they might have taken the music and what they would have evolved into musically.

Would Buddy Holly have become country like Jerry Lee Lewis did?

Would Richie Valens have really taken Tejano music completely to the mainstream and paved the way for others to follow? He was told American Anglo teenagers would not accept his music and we did by the millions.

Where would Jimi Hendrix have taken his craft and his legion of followers? Part of the instrument died along with him.

What would the phenomenal Patsy Cline have created had she lived past 30? She brought new meaning to "soul" music because her voice touched ours.

I wasn't a big Doors fan but Morrison had something special and his creativity was limitless.

Prince was not through with his journey, as his music was evolving again, when it was cut far too short.

A guitarist, Tommy Bolin, many might not know, but they've probably heard him, was a personal favorite of mine and he had a style all his own.

Tom Petty was the first musician to successfully tell the record labels to go to hell and more than any artist I can think of, stayed true to his sound, his gift to us, and just kept cranking out that great dependable music.
Great list

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Me and you are probably the only two in the forum that's listend to Huntress. Jill was smoking hot.

Yeah, she was. And she really could belt out a metal tune, couldn't she? I was shocked to learn she killed herself. Sometimes creative people have a really tough time emotionally. It's a bummer.