My 13 y/o chihuahua just died

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry bud, I’ve lost a lot of close people in my life and seen a lot of people die but one of the toughest things I’ve gone through is losing a pet, especially unexpected. They’re so much better than humans, they’re always there for you whenever you come home, they can tell when you’re upset or not feeling well, they know when something is wrong and they love you unconditionally.

A few years ago I lost my dog suddenly and unexpectedly to cancer over the course of a couple days and I lost my cat of 21 years last year...I still miss them both. The only good thing that came of it was that I adopted another dog and two more cats from rescue groups therefore saving other animals lives in then process.

Condolences friend, there’s really nothing anyone can say to help with the pain.

“Hang strong, Roll on”
Adoption is the way to go. Good for you....

Creeper

Reaction score
He was my little buddy and I did not expect his sudden death. I've already had a hard year with fighting cancer and COVID going on and now this. I just needed to put it into words how hard this is hitting me.

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is such a painful experience. I had to take our 12 yr old adopted Chihuahua in to be put down about 4 years ago and I still remember very vividly the way she looked at me sitting in the passenger seat of my car as her drove her to the vet. She was the sweetest little dog and even though we only had her for about 3 years I still miss. She had a really rough life too which made it sadder. Even as I write this it brings back the sadness. But at the same time, in the time we have them they bring us so much enjoyment.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That's what I have/had, two chi's one 15 and one 13. I just lost the 13 yr old and the 15 yr old is mourning more than me. I guess I will have to double down on spoiling the 15 y/o. It's really sad watching him looking for his compadre.
This is so true. After our little Chi / Scottie female died, our male Beagle / Chi mix has not been the same. They were together for 12 years and he still seems to look for her. He obsessively follows me around these days as they were both really attached to me. I paid the most attention to them.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
We actually foster at times. There is not enough room in ours shelters. We have 6 Puppies long haired Doxens leaving us Friday. Sorry for your loss Joe!. Adopt and that life will warm yours Joe...promise.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He was my little buddy and I did not expect his sudden death. I've already had a hard year with fighting cancer and COVID going on and now this. I just needed to put it into words how hard this is hitting me.

Sorry, late to the thread, I'm sorry to hear! My condolences to you and your fam! I know how hard it is. :(

Take a few days and adopt one from a shelter. Your pups passing will save another pups life.

We did this a few years ago when we lost our Samoyed. We had another dog at home and he just seemed depressed and lost after she passed. So we thought it would be good for all parties involved to get another pup. It sucks because it's a mixed emotion. You feel guilty, like you are replacing your pal, but at the same time you know you're not and it's good for you to open a new chapter with a new friend.

We actually foster at times. There is not enough room in ours shelters. We have 6 Puppies long haired Doxens leaving us Friday. Sorry for your loss Joe!. Adopt and that life will warm yours Joe...promise.

I wish there was a love button for this! :)

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Ive had a chihuahua at all times for almost 40 years. Greatest critters in the world. Have two now. Go get yourself a puppy. It helps.
I am considering getting a chihuahua puppy but I'm concerned how my 15 y/o chihuahua would deal with having an energetic puppy around. There is nothing energetic about him and he has problems seeing as well. I just don't think he would tolerate a puppy very well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sorry to hear of this.

It's like losing one your kids.

Like a lot of folks we've lost several of our pets over the years, the last one in December and we moped for days– still miss having her around the house.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am considering getting a chihuahua puppy but I'm concerned how my 15 y/o chihuahua would deal with having an energetic puppy around. There is nothing energetic about him and he has problems seeing as well. I just don't think he would tolerate a puppy very well.
At first, your 15 year old will probably be a bit snippy, but after putting the pup in its place a few times, they'll probably love each other.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
At first, your 15 year old will probably be a bit snippy, but after putting the pup in its place a few times, they'll probably love each other.
You're probably right. Thanks for your feedback. I do see that my 15 y/o chi is enjoying the extra attention he is now getting.