My "ALL IN" draft and FA plan

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well everyone Jerry has now said he is going all in this year. I am sure his idea of all in and mine are totally different but this is wher emyt head is at.

Grover Stewart-DT-Immedately helps the inside in both the run and is an absolute menace for guards and centers to handle. Physical.
Josey Jewell-LB-Tough player, loves contact and isnt afraid of contact. Helps the middle of the defense. Physical.
Bobby Wagner-LB-Yup I am double dipping because we need it. LVE is done. Bell isnt a LB. Physical.
Derrick Henry-RB-The market value for RBs is at an all time low. Bring him here. Let him do his thing. Adds physicality this team lacks.

Re-Sign
Tyron Smith
Johnathan Hankins
Jourdan Lewis

Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Sedrick Van Pran OC Georgia
Josh Newton CB TCU
Tyler Davis DT Clemson
Javion Cohen OG Miami (FL)
Sione Vaki S Utah
Joshua Cephus WR UTSA
Jackson Mitchell LB UConn

Traded down a couple spots to grab 125.

Rebuilt the OL to the best of my ability. Tyron cant stay healthy and having an understudy for a year (Guyton is the starter Tyron is the swing) would be incredible.

Well there you have it. This is my definition of all in. One key theme here was going physical.

Thoughts?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pretty solid. it a few concerns sticks out:

I would not pay 2 FA LBs that are down players though…that’s a ton of money for guys that are limited athletically and are likely coming off the field a lot in nickel / dime downs.

Also feel like we’ve gone backwards with our pass rush. Fowler and DA gone, no FAs signed and no one drafted.

Would love to get another offensive weapon somewhat early in the draft. Class is loaded.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well everyone Jerry has now said he is going all in this year. I am sure his idea of all in and mine are totally different but this is wher emyt head is at.

Grover Stewart-DT-Immedately helps the inside in both the run and is an absolute menace for guards and centers to handle. Physical.
Josey Jewell-LB-Tough player, loves contact and isnt afraid of contact. Helps the middle of the defense. Physical.
Bobby Wagner-LB-Yup I am double dipping because we need it. LVE is done. Bell isnt a LB. Physical.
Derrick Henry-RB-The market value for RBs is at an all time low. Bring him here. Let him do his thing. Adds physicality this team lacks.

Re-Sign
Tyron Smith
Johnathan Hankins
Jourdan Lewis

Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Josh Newton CB TCU
Tyler Davis DT Clemson
Sione Vaki S Utah
Joshua Cephus WR UTSA

Rebuilt the OL to the best of my ability. Tyron cant stay healthy and having an understudy for a year (Guyton is the starter Tyron is the swing) would be incredible.

Well there you have it. This is my definition of all in. One key theme here was going physical.

Thoughts?
I like the FA signings but not sure you need two inside backers in FA.

Also can't not get a young TB somewhere in this draft.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I like the FA signings but not sure you need two inside backers in FA.

Also can't not get a young TB somewhere in this draft.
Fair point. I also forgot to add re-signing dowdle. Another TB would have been good though you are right.

I think we do need to inside backers though. Or maybe I am just angry watching safeties playing LB that i want 2 to prove a point.

Creeper

Reaction score
If the Cowboys draft OL, other than C, are we sure the rookies will actually play? My belief is the starting OL next year is going to be Tyron, Tyler, New C, Zack and Steele, not matter how we draft. For this reason, I don't think they draft an OT in the first round.

Also, are we convinced the Cowboys think the OL is a real need? PFF ranked them 6th best in the NFL, is that going to be good enough for Jerry?

The biggest need on this team is DL, interior DL. Even if they sign Hankins, they need another force inside. I seriously doubt Jerry will draft another DT in the first round. If by some miracle Sweat drop to round 2, I still think they pass on him.

I firmly believe Jerry is draft edge and WR in rounds 1 and 2. If CeeDee refuses to sign an extension, then I think WR becomes the highest priority in the draft. The Cowboys will look for LB in the 3rd 5th and 6th rounds.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fair point. I also forgot to add re-signing dowdle. Another TB would have been good though you are right.

I think we do need to inside backers though. Or maybe I am just angry watching safeties playing LB that i want 2 to prove a point.
Two is a waste of resources. Its an over correction. If you add 1 reliable veteran, we should be ok there

phildadon86

Reaction score
If the Cowboys draft OL, other than C, are we sure the rookies will actually play? My belief is the starting OL next year is going to be Tyron, Tyler, New C, Zack and Steele, not matter how we draft. For this reason, I don't think they draft an OT in the first round.

Also, are we convinced the Cowboys think the OL is a real need? PFF ranked them 6th best in the NFL, is that going to be good enough for Jerry?

The biggest need on this team is DL, interior DL. Even if they sign Hankins, they need another force inside. I seriously doubt Jerry will draft another DT in the first round. If by some miracle Sweat drop to round 2, I still think they pass on him.

I firmly believe Jerry is draft edge and WR in rounds 1 and 2. If CeeDee refuses to sign an extension, then I think WR becomes the highest priority in the draft. The Cowboys will look for LB in the 3rd 5th and 6th rounds.
I added a DT

Sydla

Reaction score

I just don't think you can pour that much in FA into two ILB, one of which, for sure, would only be a 2 down LB.

Pick one of Jewell or Wagner.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Its resources you could put elsewhere. We would still need a #3 CB (Lewis is more of a #4), and instead of one of the LB's you could get a guy like Kristian Fulton
Honestly I am just joking around. I would take Jewell most likely. And spend that money on WR or CB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Its resources you could put elsewhere. We would still need a #3 CB (Lewis is more of a #4), and instead of one of the LB's you could get a guy like Kristian Fulton
Agree…

I would take the 15+ mil or whatever it is from LBr / Henry and use it elsewhere.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly I am just joking around. I would take Jewell most likely. And spend that money on WR or CB.
It depends on how you feel about Cooks. If you really like him at #2, we are probably good with Tolbert as a #3. I think he could be a Cedrick Wilsom caliber guy. With Ferguson ascending, that might be all you need

However, I think they should consider cutting Cooks and upgrading. There are alot of good WR's in this FA class that wont cost premium money. I wouldn't mind them moving on from Cooks and looking at a guy in the 15m range

Proof

Reaction score

Re-Sign
Tyron Smith
Johnathan Hankins
Jourdan Lewis

Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Josh Newton CB TCU
Tyler Davis DT Clemson
Sione Vaki S Utah
Joshua Cephus WR UTSA

Thoughts?
i'm sure i'm overlooking it, but i can't find where wagner is a fa this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
You may need to spend a bit on depth at DE, considering we could lose Armstrong and Fowler.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Nice work

Every mock I've sen so far has us grabbing OT. Not sexy but I get it. I'd rather grab LB

Gambit

Reaction score

Re-Sign
Tyron Smith
Johnathan Hankins
Jourdan Lewis

Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Josh Newton CB TCU
Tyler Davis DT Clemson
Sione Vaki S Utah
Joshua Cephus WR UTSA

Thoughts?
I liked the effort just a few thoughts I'll add this evening

RS12

Reaction score
Guyton probably the biggest boom/ bust guy in the OL class. Jim Nagy started talking about him over a month ago, talking superior movement skills, reminded him of Tyron Smith, etc. No doubt he moves like a much smaller player. If you watch the draft show and think Broaddus has any evaluation ability, he want nearly as enamored with him as some. Claimed to have been watching him since his TCU days. Might have been the first draft show last week.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Guyton probably the biggest boom/ bust guy in the OL class. Jim Nagy started talking about him over a month ago, talking superior movement skills, reminded him of Tyron Smith, etc. No doubt he moves like a much smaller player. If you watch the draft show and think Broaddus has any evaluation ability, he want nearly as enamored with him as some. Claimed to have been watching him since his TCU days. Might have been the first draft show last week.
1st rounder for DJ and Brugler.

He’s raw, and a little bit of traits prospect, but dude has quite a ceiling.

DanA

Reaction score
My all in would be a defensive free agency and offensive draft.

• A good DT and LB in FA
  • Re-sign Gilmore, Lewis, and Tyron
  • OC, WR, RB addressed in the draft
  • Maybe a cheap trade for a RB (similar to Swift)