My All Time Favorite Dallas Cowboys Play

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I couldn't narrow it down to one, but I loved Aikman's pass to Harper that broke the 49er's back in the NFC Championship in '92. I also loved both of Larry Brown's picks in Super Bowl 30. Staubach's TD pass to Ron Sellers in the 1972 playoff game against the 49ers is another awesome one. And of course, the 1975 winning TD to Drew Pearson in the Hail Mary game. However, in that same game, there's another great play that gets overlooked. In the Vikings' drive before the Hail Mary Drive, the Vikes needed just one first down to ice the game. It was 3rd and 2, but the Doomsday defense stopped them for a loss, forcing them to punt. If not for that play the Hail Mary could never have happened.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I found the defensive play from the Hail Mary game. I remembered it as a Chuck Foreman run with our D line penetrating and tackling him for a loss, but it was actually a sack of Fran Tarkenton. WTH were the Vikings doing calling a passing play? They had an excellent O line and a bruising runner in Chuck Foreman. They may have been able to pick up the first with a running play and then totally waste the clock.

Here's the play. Remember, without a successful stop by the Doomsday Defense, the Hail Mary play could not have happened.

Click to play the video. It will say cannot play embedded, but then click on "watch on Youtube" and it will open in a new tab all queued up to the right time index.