My analysis of the Dalton situation

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Hey all - wow it's been a while. Hope everyone and their families are safe and healthy.

Andy Dalton –

1. Grew up in Katy, Texas and wants to play in Dallas, Texas (shout out Drake)
  2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old
  5. Wants to start. This year isn’t the market for him. He is truly better off sitting as a back-up for a year… or playing his cards so well he has guaranteed he will be an absolute winner as elaborated on below….
  6. Also didn't we want to take him in the draft??

The team he wants to play for (as a starter, no doubt) has a QB that is currently holding out (yes voluntarily, but you’ve been QB1 for 3 years. Not appropriate) – with the chance that maybe you somehow get on the field that way (his contract indicates he is banking on some playing time) and perhaps you run with it and never look back

Next years FA QB market looks like a joke – literally it goes Dak Prescott, Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor. (plus Cam Newton but will Cam so eagerly take a back-up role - show his commitment to the game and maturity) Philip Rivers could possibly retire, he’d be going on 40.

Andy proved to any team looking at him next year under any circumstances that he is mature type of individual you want as the face of your brand, under what must be some insanely hard emotions as he lost a job he held for a decade without any fuss and nothing but class. Then he took a high-incentive (impossible if Dak is our starter and healthy) deal, albeit in what is the absolute best situation for him - signing with Dallas. Why?

Under situation 1)

Dak re-signs, everyone is happy, healthy – us doing well – Andy Dalton walks out as quite possibly the best QB free agent asset next year by holding a clipboard.

Under situation 2)

Dak re-signs, gets injured – Dalton is not terrible, he’s an average QB, however long-term he's been very stable and consistent, spending 9 years with a terrible brand in terms of his image in the Bengals. In typical circumstances would be one of the biggest names in free agency.

A) He does well. Result: 9 figure contract
B) HE does “better than expected”: Close to 9-figure contract
C) He performs at the level he did in Cinncy which is “well” and looks solid doing it. He’ll get a much bigger deal next year

Under situations ranging from Dak re-signing to Dalton magically stealing the job of QB1)

A) Benefits in every single way possible image and brand wise
B) Gets a chance to play for QB of the team he grew up dreaming being QB of
C) The moment Dalton has a good game on the field, Dak loses all leverage in negotiations
D) Could create such a QB on-team contract pressure that it is whoever signs first gets the job, Jerry holding all the cards
E) But most of all, in any situation, Dalton is Cowboys QB#1 or the biggest name and the top, or near the top, of the QB free agents next year (since the formula will now go either Dak or Dalton enter free agency as they are teammates)

Yet throughout this as a huge fan who has been consumed with work (I can’t believe I joined the board when I was 14). My biggest takeaway is Dak is not behaving like who you want as QB1 of your franchise. Dalton is behaving like who you want as QB1 of your franchise.

All around great singing for the Cowboys and Dalton. Dak may find he overplayed his hand.

(ps - yes it's different eras, but check out this comparison of Romo & Dalton's career stats. Romo from 06 until retirement. Dalton's career so far. I like Dalton. I hope this works out for him, with us, or elsewhere)

Last edited:

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Hey all - wow it's been a while. Hope everyone and their families are safe and healthy.

Andy Dalton –

2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old
  5. Wants to start. This year isn’t the market for him. He is truly better off sitting as a back-up for a year… or playing his cards so well he has guaranteed he will be an absolute winner as elaborated on below….

The team he wants to play for (as a starter, no doubt) has a QB that is currently holding out (yes voluntarily, but you’ve been QB1 for 3 years. Not appropriate) – with the chance that maybe you somehow get on the field that way (his contract indicates he is banking on some playing time) and perhaps you run with it and never look back

Next years FA QB market looks like a joke – literally it goes Dak Prescott, Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor. (plus Cam Newton but will Cam so eagerly take a back-up role - show his commitment to the game and maturity) Philip Rivers could possibly retire, he’d be going on 40.

Andy proved to any team looking at him next year under any circumstances that he is mature type of individual you want as the face of your brand, under what must be some insanely hard emotions as he lost a job he held for a decade without any fuss and nothing but class. Then he took a high-incentive (impossible if Dak is our starter and healthy) deal, albeit in what is the absolute best situation for him - signing with Dallas. Why?

Under situation 1)

Dak re-signs, everyone is happy, healthy – us doing well – Andy Dalton walks out as quite possibly the best QB free agent asset next year by holding a clipboard.

Under situation 2)

Dak re-signs, gets injured – Dalton is not terrible, he’s an average QB, however long-term he's been very stable and consistent, spending 9 years with a terrible brand in terms of his image in the Bengals. In typical circumstances would be one of the biggest names in free agency.

C) He performs at the level he did in Cinncy which is “well” and looks solid doing it. He’ll get a much bigger deal next year

Under situations ranging from Dak re-signing to Dalton magically stealing the job of QB1)

C) The moment Dalton has a good game on the field, Dak loses all leverage in negotiations
D) Could create such a QB on-team contract pressure that it is whoever signs first gets the job, Jerry holding all the cards
E) But most of all, in any situation, Dalton is Cowboys QB#1 or the biggest name and the top, or near the top, of the QB free agents next year (since the formula will now go either Dak or Dalton enter free agency as they are teammates)

Yet throughout this as a huge fan who has been consumed with work (I can’t believe I joined the board when I was 14). My biggest takeaway is Dak is not behaving like who you want as QB1 of your franchise. Dalton is behaving like who you want as QB1 of your franchise.

All around great singing for the Cowboys and Dalton. Dak may find he overplayed his hand.

(ps - yes it's different eras, but check out this comparison of Romo & Dalton's career stats. Romo from 06 until retirement. Dalton's career so far. I like Dalton. I hope this works out for him, with us, or elsewhere)

dude I joined when I was 14 as well & haven’t looked back ever since! Lol great stuff!!!

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The comparison shows what we already knew: Tony was a vastly superior QB.

Dalton managed a 90 passer rating twice in his career, 4 and 5 seasons ago. He hasn't been over 7 yards per attempt since then either. He's bad.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Andy Dalton –

2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old

Under situation 1)

Under situation 2)

You whipper snappers..

Good Lord

This sort of chivalry about who is the starting QB in Dallas is our Heritage.

It's part of who we are. Rhome, Meredith, Morton, Staubach, Pellure, Aikman, Walsh, Romo, Dak, Dalton.

It always gets settled in the class room, at practice and in games.

Normally it is obvious who is the best choice. Sometimes the HC just has to use his instincts.

What is going to make this hard is the lack of physical field play to compare.

If this all continues like it seems and games are missed and playoffs modified to squeeze the play in..

Dak's Tag situation is going to be cutdown because it is not a 17 game schedule. And unless Big Mike just makes a coaching decision and starts Dalton over Dak..

not much will change unless one of the QBs get hot and wins in the playoffs.

So you have to just sit and wait.

So much can and will happen here..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Dalton managed a 90 passer rating twice in his career, 4 and 5 seasons ago. He hasn't been over 7 yards per attempt since then either. He's bad.
Glad you are not a security analyst for our country.

Open your field of view. Dalton had piss poor teams like ours.

He had one WR to work with offensively..

horrible coaches and defenses who crumbled right on schedule every 3rd Qt.

If you are going to label people..you should round up all the usual suspects and begin from the top.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Actually, I am.Whereas Tony had great coaching and defenses?
Am a security advisor?

Good job if you are not laid off which I hope you are not.

So rather than go there..

I would suggest given your background you would cast a wider net when seeing something.

My dad was in the FBI for 33 years and he taught me alot growing up how to ask questions..

and how to find answers to questions before some asked a question or tried to mislead you away from your question.

That's why the police in interviews ask the same questions over and over again

to see if the answer changed at all. Usually it does and the case gets cracked.

That is why I ask questions like I do. I want answer but the misleading kind are of no use.

Romo did have Parcells Yes a great oach. No he did not have great defenses. He had Ware..that was it.

So that's my reply.

Wash those hands and be safe.

817Gill

Reaction score

Andy Dalton –

2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old

Under situation 1)

Under situation 2)

So happy you put that there haha

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe the team was bad? Your theory is that a back up MUST be bad..since they aren't starting for another team> Not sure, honestly...what your real point is here.....a lot goes into stats even QB passer ratings.

Nick Foles and even Dak himself...are proof backups come in and win regardless of any stat you want to parade around.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the team was bad? Your theory is that a back up MUST be bad..since they aren't starting for another team> Not sure, honestly...what your real point is here.....a lot goes into stats even QB passer ratings.

Nick Foles and even Dak himself...are proof backups come in and win regardless of any stat you want to parade around.
The person I was responding to posted a comparison made up of stats. The comparison indicated that Dak is significantly better. If you want to make an argument that the stats are misleading, sure, make that argument. That's not the argument that person was making.

In Dalton's first four seasons as a starter, the Bengals won 40 games. In Dak's first four seasons as a starter, the Cowboys won 40 games. Those Bengals teams weren't bad. Dalton's numbers were much worse that Dak's over that 4-year period.

Where did I say that a backup must be bad? I certainly don't believe that. I don't think Dalton's bad because he's now a backup. I think he's now a backup because he's bad. To be fair, I think he's excellent for a backup: he's only a bad option as a starter, especially compared to the starter we already have.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Andy Dalton –

2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old

Under situation 1)

Under situation 2)

There are several teams needing a starting QB. Patriots come to mind quickly. There are always others.

He took a contract that pays him less than thee average backup. He makes less than we paid Orton 8 years ago. Even with incentives he doesn't make as much as any starting QB not on a rookie deal.

Dalton has been bad for 3 years now.

But hey maybe if you wish hard enough Dak will be forced to sign. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Andy Dalton –

2. Went to TCU
  3. Cowboys fan
  4. Only 32 years old

Under situation 1)

Under situation 2)

There is no analysis except over analysis. Dak is the starter and will be the starter baring injury for the next many years. Don’t over think it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
JerryMac signed Dalton for 3 reasons. Don't overthink it.
1. We needed a credible backup
2. There is a real possibility Dak holds out or goes sulking.
3. Leverige or however you spell it, blokes.

DanA

Reaction score
I think a big part of it for Dalton would be not wanting to put up bad tape. At Dallas, if he goes in he’s got targets and a good O-line. Other teams might have a less settled starter, but are situations where it’s more difficult to produce.he doesn’t want to lower his value.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
OP going where fans ought not to go. Dalton was not brought here to take Dak's starting job. A backup by their very definition is only brought in when the starter is not able to play. So, get used to the idea, Dalton will likely never play a single regular-season game as a Cowboy. Look how long Cooper was here, he only got to throw 4 passes. Dak is durable so if you have any dreams of Dalton replacing Dak, prepare to have those dreams dashed.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
JerryMac signed Dalton for 3 reasons. Don't overthink it.
1. We needed a credible backup
2. There is a real possibility Dak holds out or goes sulking.
3. Leverige or however you spell it, blokes.
That's basically what I was explaining - but from Dalton's perspective.

He's going to make more money next offseason and we got great insurance this year.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
OP going where fans ought not to go. Dalton was not brought here to take Dak's starting job. A backup by their very definition is only brought in when the starter is not able to play. So, get used to the idea, Dalton will likely never play a single regular-season game as a Cowboy. Look how long Cooper was here, he only got to throw 4 passes. Dak is durable so if you have any dreams of Dalton replacing Dak, prepare to have those dreams dashed.
Not the case of my points -

I was pointing out why Dalton here made sense from his angle, and from ours.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not the case of my points -

I was pointing out why Dalton here made sense from his angle, and from ours.
I agree Dalton being here makes sense from both angles and from both perspectives. Just don't get your hopes up that you will ever get to see him play.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I agree Dalton being here makes sense from both angles and from both perspectives. Just don't get your hopes up that you will ever get to see him play.
Why would I hope for that? But honestly if it happened, I wouldn't be raging.

If Dak holds out, trade him. He can't get out of here. 3 first round picks, no negotiation on price. That would be my stance.