My biggest fear should be yours as well....

JDSmith

Reaction score
Julius was not often injured at ND. Durability was not a concern. He handled the ball quite a lot at ND actually

Julius started 17 of 45 games for the Irish, carrying 634 times for 3,018 yards (4.8 avg.) and 26 touchdowns, joining Vagas Ferguson (3,472, 1976-79), Allen Pinkett (4,131, 1982-85) and Autry Denson (4,318, 1995-98) as the only players in school history to gain over 3,000 yards rushing in a career … His 634 rushing attempts rank fourth in school annals … Added 250 yards and a score on 28 catches and 426 yards with a touchdown on 38 punt returns (11.2 avg.) … Also had 72 kickoff returns for 1,678 yards (23.3 avg.) and a score, breaking the old Irish all-time record of 1,613 yards by Tim Brown (1984-87)

So he carried the ball, caught passes, returned both punts and kickoffs - not bad for a guy who's so fragile. :rolleyes:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Soooo....he broke a bone in his shoulder. I don't think that has so much to do with durability as it does with someone planting a helmet with proper force and precision at an inopportune moment into his shoulder blade. If anything, the ribs thing at the beginning of the season worried me more. His injury wasn't a question of durabilty - it just happens. Greg Ellis broke his leg, but I don't know that he has missed a game since.

That being said, though I remember reading that he was knicked here and there at ND, I don't remember seeing that he missed a lot of game time. Somewhere in the back of my mind, this is a concern - but it is FAR from 'My biggest fear...."

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
That Julius Jones, was an 8 game flash in the Pan. That Julius Jones turns into what he was at ND; oft injured. That Anthony Thomas, winds up getting 20 handoffs a game from...Drew Henson... :(

My point, before we put JJ in the Ring of Honor, lets see him do it from training camp on...There's a reason he slipped on draft day you know.

I bet this is exactly what Parcells whispers in Julius' ear each and everynight that he leaves the practice facilty- along those lines. I'd like to hear if there have been any stories of Bill detering the press away from JJ ala the way he did in NE with Martin his rookie year.

Physically is what we have to worry about. Parcells will take care of the "mental aspect" he needs so he doesn't get too big of a head and blow it that way.

wileedog

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
There's a reason he slipped on draft day you know.

Yeah, after all he may turn out like that other guy Parcells drafted who 'slipped' all the way to the 3rd round.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Badattitude said:
That Julius Jones, was an 8 game flash in the Pan. That Julius Jones turns into what he was at ND; oft injured. That Anthony Thomas, winds up getting 20 handoffs a game from...Drew Henson... :(

Stupid-IQ.jpg

burmafrd

Reaction score
His sophomore season he was in the mix, but not yet ready. His junior season is when his academics caught up to him. Then Willingham, not known as the sharpest knife in the drawer, did not start him untill the 4th game- despite the fact that he was clearly the best back the Irish had. More likely fallout due to the academic suspension. Also, WIllingham felt loyalty to Ryan Grant, a decent back who had been there all four years. Unfortunately, he kept playing grant long after it was clear who should be getting the most carries.

hogwild

Reaction score
O K i will take your word for it...I believe JJ will be injury-prone

his whole NFL career ( JMO )

The dude is just so quick...Ido not believe he has the ability to

take all the pounding and stay healthy...

ES BS TT W payton all knew how to take/absorb a hit (minimize it)

all i see out of JJ is balls to the wall...i just get the feelin' that its

just amatter of time before he goes head on with a RW type hit

and it's all over....remember JMO not what i'm wishin' for

Eddie

Reaction score
I'm not worried about JJ's durability, I'm worried about the durability of the entire team. We've been hit hard by the injury bug 4 out of the last 5 years. Only in 2003 did we escape with relatively few injuries ... and it helped us to a 10-6 season.

Injuries were a main reason we slipped back to 6-10.

Unfortunately, this is not something we can control. May as well star at a pot to make it boil.

Just enjoy the game and don't worry so much.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
SuperSafety_31 said:
I'm not really worried about Julius Jone being a flash in the pan as much as I'm worried about his durability...
Ditto. He is the real deal, I've seen enough to know that. What concerns me is that he won't be able to stand up to the pounding that a RB in Parcells' offense is required to take.

Anthony Thomas is our insurance policy here, guys. He's not a Pro Bowl RB, but he is a former 1000 yard rusher who is young and hungry. Frankly, I'm not very concerned at all about running back.

kapolani

Reaction score
Badattitude said:

My point, before we put JJ in the Ring of Honor, lets see him do it from training camp on...There's a reason he slipped on draft day you know.

Yeah, Curtis Martin must have been a piece of crap... He slipped to the second day.

Terrel Davis must have been poop too. He was only a 7th rounder....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Badattitude said:
That Julius Jones turns into what he was at ND; oft injured.

Now THAT is news to me... and Julius I imagine as well...

yesfan

Reaction score
I live by "don't worry about what you don't know",
trust me,you'll live better.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
yesfan said:
I live by "don't worry about what you don't know",
trust me,you'll live better.

some people are "nofans"... ;)

jimmy40

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Now THAT is news to me... and Julius I imagine as well...
I believe it was an assistant coach at ND that said he was always hurt. Now wether it was sour grapes after getting run off I don't know.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I believe it was an assistant coach at ND that said he was always hurt. Now wether it was sour grapes after getting run off I don't know.

All players are always hurt. I would be more concerned if it held up his production or playing time. (Yes, I know he wasn't a starter his entire time there - but he still played in games as punt returner and what not).