My biggest football pet peeve going right now

Mannix

Reaction score
This has gone on for way too long now....started about 10 years ago. Why do play by play guys now refer to almost any badly missed field goal as a shank??? Nebraska guy just pulled one badly left, and the guy says "Oh, and he shanks it badly left".....maybe only golfers will know the following FACT.....if you are a right footed kicker, a miss to the right can ONLY be a push or a shank.....if you are a right footed kicker, a miss to the left can ONLY be a pull or hook......a right footed kicker can NEVER.....repeat NEVER....shank a kick to the left. Ok....I feel better now....whew. And don't even argue about this with me or I will swat your little Voit basketball up into the 10th row.

RaZon

Reaction score
This has gone on for way too long now....started about 10 years ago. Why do play by play guys now refer to almost any badly missed field goal as a shank??? Nebraska guy just pulled one badly left, and the guy says "Oh, and he shanks it badly left".....maybe only golfers will know the following FACT.....if you are a right footed kicker, a miss to the right can ONLY be a push or a shank.....if you are a right footed kicker, a miss to the left can ONLY be a pull or hook......a right footed kicker can NEVER.....repeat NEVER....shank a kick to the left. Ok....I feel better now....whew. And don't even argue about this with me or I will swat your little Voit basketball up into the 10th row.

Mine is....."he has world class speed"....just because he ran some track. There is only one football player today with legit "world class speed".....Tyreek Hill.

World class is sub 10.10,

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Seems like there are more important things to have a pet peeve about.

Mannix

Reaction score
Seems like there are more important things to have a pet peeve about.
Nope....this one drives me crazy....just like the commercial where the two guys are playing golf, and the one references that his partner "Just scored a 12" on the last hole.....NO, he "Just made a 12" on the last hole

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My pet peeve is the overuse of "let's see if they can make this" or "let's watch for that" from the color guys. Hey, I am already watching and seeing, do you think you're going to influence me? I don't need some guy that is barely necessary to the game telling me what to do. It's all filler, they fear the ambient sounds of the game or that if they just shut up, we'll all leave. Hate to hurt their feelings but I am there in spite of most of them. They add very little to the games.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Mine is....."he has world class speed"....just because he ran some track. There is only one football player today with legit "world class speed".....Tyreek Hill.

World class is sub 10.10,

Tyreek Hill is fast, but there are plenty of other players who have speed. DK has speed, and Mostert is really fast.

I think Tyreek's ability to accelerate is what sets him apart. His top-end speed is great but it's his ability to reach top-end is pretty much unmatched.

RaZon

Reaction score
Tyreek Hill is fast, but there are plenty of other players who have speed. DK has speed, and Mostert is really fast.

I think Tyreek's ability to accelerate is what sets him apart. His top-end speed is great but it's his ability to reach top-end is pretty much unmatched.

Tyreek Hill ran a 20,14 200m while in HS, at that time that was the second fastest HS 200m in history. Then he ran some JC track, there h was the second fastest JCer in the nation. Only Olympic champion to be Andre DeGrasse could bet him. He was a Big12 60 champ while at Oklahoma State. And if not for football we have a "world class" talent here. He is a legit sprinter.

Mostert was a 10,2ish cat while at Pursue, DK a 10.3 cat, Tyreek ran a 10.19 in high school.

I do agree his accelleration and that ability to stop and...BOOM!!! unlike anything seen before.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Tyreek Hill ran a 20,14 200m while in HS, at that time that was the second fastest HS 200m in history. Then he ran some JC track, there h was the second fastest JCer in the nation. Only Olympic champion to be Andre DeGrasse could bet him. He was a Big12 60 champ while at Oklahoma State. And if not for football we have a "world class" talent here. He is a legit sprinter.

Mostert was a 10,2ish cat while at Pursue, DK a 10.3 cat, Tyreek ran a 10.19 in high school.

I do agree his accelleration and that ability to stop and...BOOM!!! unlike anything seen before.

My point is that when you really start to get down to it, there are plenty of guys who could be classified as "world class". There are likely Olympic candidates/contenders who have ran slower than 10.2-ish or 10.3. Are they not "world class"? We're talking hundredths of a second separating these guys. Tyreek may be the fastest or quickest, but that doesn't mean that all others are out of the discussion.

RaZon

Reaction score
There are no Olympic or World Champtoonship contenders who can't break a 10,00. 10.2ish is NCAA stuff,

Here is the current world list

100 METERS
9.76(A) *Trayvon Bromell (NBal) 09/18 Nairobi WCT
9.77(A) Ferdinand Omurwa (Ken) 09/18 Nairobi WCT
9.80 Lamont Marcell Jacobs (Ita) 08/01 OG
9.83 *Ronnie Baker (Nik) 08/01 OG
Bingtian Su (Chn) 08/01 OG
9.84 *Fred Kerley (Nik) 08/01 OG
Akani Simbine (SA) 07/06 Gyulai Mem
9.85 *Marvin Bracy-Williams (Nik) 06/05 NACAC New Life
9.89 *Kenny Bednarek (Nik) 06/20 OT
Andre De Grasse (Can) 08/01 OG

You will see a10,00 after another 10. a 10,2 doesn;t make the list.

There have been around 20ish NFLers who ran a sub 10.20.

World Class is a sub 10.10. You can get a lane running 10.09.

Last edited: