My case for Chris Johnson

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BigDave95;1930229 said:
Nice try. I've seen EVERY carry of Felix Jones' career.

You could say he can't run between the tackles. You could say he benefitted from the attention defenses paid to DMac. You could say he had trouble catching passes at times.

But to say he isn't explosive is just stupid. Ignorant.

Ignorance is bliss I guess. Oh no, thats right I never said he sucked. I only said Chris Johnson is better AND more explosive. As a matter a fact, I have said on more than one occasion that I wouldn't mind having Felix Jones. Its just that I would take Chris Johnson before him

Anything else?

BigDave95

Reaction score
nyc;1930239 said:
Ignorance is bliss I guess. Oh no, thats right I never said he sucked. I only said Chris Johnson is better AND more explosive. As a matter a fact, I have said on more than one occasion that I wouldn't mind having Felix Jones. Its just that I would take Chris Johnson before him

Anything else?

Actually, you said:

Jones is fast, but he doesn't explode with the first step.

Perhaps you shouldn't spew so much nonsense that you can't even keep it all straight.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Splitting hairs here. We would be lucky to get Johnson or Jones or even Jamal Charles in round 2 they all have elite speed.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I would love to get Chris Johnson and why is he rated only 2nd round. Guess it has to be because he was at East Carolina instead of a major school.

Personally, if we could get Felix Jones in the 1st and Chris Johnson in the 2nd, I would do that deal. Throw in Barber and it would be a helluva rotation.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BigDave95;1930253 said:
Perhaps you shouldn't spew so much nonsense that you can't even keep it all straight.
Top speed != explosive first step.

Emmitt Smith had an explosive first step, but his top speed was less than spectacular. Emmitt had boat loads of 40ish yard runs, but didn't have many 60+ yard runs. He would explode (accelerate very quickly) into a hole and get through it before the defense could react. Once through it the defense could run him down.

Julius Jones on the other hand had top speed, but didn't explode very well and never could make it through the hole before he went down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just have to ask fellas, why are so many of you willing to draft a RB in the 1st Rd? It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I mean, honestly, how many teams really need a RB this year? I just think that there will be opportunity to get a good player at that position later in the draft. There are really only two RBs I would take in this draft in the first round and none I would trade up to get. One is obviously McFadden and the other would be Stewart. I'm kinda suprised at the willingness of some many of our fans to spend a 1st rd pick on a RB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1930360 said:
Just have to ask fellas, why are so many of you willing to draft a RB in the 1st Rd? It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I mean, honestly, how many teams really need a RB this year? I just think that there will be opportunity to get a good player at that position later in the draft. There are really only two RBs I would take in this draft in the first round and none I would trade up to get. One is obviously McFadden and the other would be Stewart. I'm kinda suprised at the willingness of some many of our fans to spend a 1st rd pick on a RB.

The truth is you're right.

We shouldn't be in a hurry to burn a 1st on a guy who isn't going to be the #1 running back on this team. I agree with that sentiment.

Obviously the corner position needs to be solidified. Any team that we meet that can throw out 3 quality WR's is going to eat our lunch. That should be the first priority. And depending on what we are going to do with Flozell Adams will greatly affect how we use that other 1st round pick.

BigDave95

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1930360 said:

I think 22-28 is too high for that second tier of RB's but I'm afraid that crop will be pretty picked over by our 2nd round pick. I'd like to see us use our #22 and 3rd rounder to trade up to get one of the big three CB's and then use our #28 to trade back into the early 2nd to get Jones, Mendenhall, Johnson, Charles, etc. and get the 3rd round pick back that way.

We'd still get our CB and RB and get the WR with our 2nd or our new, higher 3rd rounder.

dboyz

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1930360 said:

Overall, you're probably right. However, we could use some more speed on offense and if there is not good value at WR, particularly a guy with speed, then RB would be an option I think, but it must be good value. And with a guy like Chris Johnson you should get special teams ability and a guy who can catch passes.

So under some circumstances I can see us getting a RB who has speed pass catching ability and special teams ability and using a first round draft pick to do it, but otherwise I wouldn't want to do it.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
dboyz;1930499 said:
Overall, you're probably right. However, we could use some more speed on offense and if there is not good value at WR, particularly a guy with speed, then RB would be an option I think, but it must be good value. And with a guy like Chris Johnson you should get special teams ability and a guy who can catch passes.

So under some circumstances I can see us getting a RB who has speed pass catching ability and special teams ability and using a first round draft pick to do it, but otherwise I wouldn't want to do it.

I agree this offense needs speed. We just do not have it right now.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
JPM;1930091 said:
Nobody was near him the last 30 yards. I really can't wait to see what he runs for a 40.
Faster than 4.58 Hos.....:laugh1:

I guess he has ran it under 4.30 on a few occasions hopefully we will see how he runs it in the combine

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting back to back CBs with our 2 1st rounders.

Seems like a lot....but hey. Henry is going to be finished in the next year or so. He can't stay healthy. You need at least 3 legit CBs on your roster. We have one. We have another one, but he keeps getting hurt. And he isn't going to be a long term solution anyway. And I am tired of relying on him only to see him get hurt and our team suffer from lack of talent/depth at that position.

Time to turn it into a strength. Draft a couple of high end prospects. Flood it with young talent.

2nd round - you can look at WR. 3rd round - RB (the depth is there).

Of course, this is dependent on resigning Adams. And if we don't keep Hamlin we can always move Henry to FS.

/obligatory Henry to FS reference.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
this guy would be the best back in the draft if it wasn't for DMac. With that said if we don't pick this guy up i will be extremely disapointed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Are we ready to give up on Miles Austin as a KR? I think speedy RB is a need...but KR definitely isn't.