My Case For Deebo Samuel

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
(I’d love to make a case for the 6’5”, 227 lbs, 4.48 40 time Hakeem Butler, but since the Cowboys haven’t shown any interest that I’m aware of, I’ll keep the conversation about my other pet cat, Deebo Samuel.)

Deebo, the player

For me, debating players isn’t all that interesting. You’ll either agree with me that Deebo is a very good receiver, or you won’t. There won’t be anything I can show or tell you that will change your mind. That’s why I find philosophical debates to be far more entertaining. But for reference, just know I’m high on Deebo because his hands are great, he has the body control to make contested catches, he’s a solid route runner with explosive football speed, he’s very difficult to bring down after the catch, and he plays with a dawg mentality.

Receiver vs Safety

Right off the bat, I know the first holdup for many people is the need at safety. I don’t believe Jeff Heath should be a starter either, but to keep it in perspective, the safety position didn’t cost the team any games last year, receiver consistently was. The Cooper trade obviously did a great deal to alleviate the issue, but the offense still had its share of putrid performances even after he arrived.

Before Cooper:
8 @ Carolina
20 vs New York
13 @ Seattle
16 vs Houston
17 @ Washington

After Cooper:
14 vs Tennessee
22 @ Atlanta
13 vs New Orleans
0 @ Indianapolis
22 @ Los Angeles

Offense vs Defense

So, which unit has more pressing needs, offense or defense? The general consensus among the fans and around the league last year was Dallas had one of the best defenses in the NFL, top five to many, and they were carrying the offense for a great majority of the season. Even in the seven games they lost, the defense still held the opponents to 16, 24, 19 (OT), 20, 28, 23, and 30 points. An average offense would have won at least four of those.

Dallas’ Offense:
22nd in PTS/G
22nd in YDS/G
23rd in PYDS/G
10th in RYDS/G

Dallas’ Defense:
6th in PTS/G
7th in YDS/G
13th PYDS/G
5th in RYDS/G

“Defense Wins Championships”

Last year, the defense was top 10, the offense was bottom 10. Those numbers look even uglier with context as we’re in an offensive-driven league. We’re in the era of elite QB play and explosive, dynamic offenses. Defenses winning championships has become the very rare exception, not the rule. Look at the Broncos, Bucs and Ravens. It’s not a coincidence that the truly elite defenses that do win a championship once every blue moon are never again serious contenders after that. It goes completely against the grain to rely on your defense. In today’s NFL, it behooves you to overload your QB with weapons and make your offense as dangerous as possible. It’s as easy as asking yourself, do you feel more comfortable betting on the Bears, Ravens or Jaguars to win the Super Bowl, or you taking the Chiefs, Rams or Patriots to win it all? I want Dallas in that last group of teams.

Drafting a “slot receiver” at 58

For the sake of argument, let’s say Cooper & Gallup never suffer an injury, nor need a breather, and our coaches are small minded enough to limit Deebo to only being a slot receiver...he’s still worth the pick. Beasley’s jump in production with Dak at QB just shows how important the position is to him. The problem Beasley presented is he was a very limited player. He didn’t offer much of anything past his handful of underneath routes. What he did do, he did well, but he wasn’t explosive enough to attack the field on deep or intermediate routes, and he wasn’t physical enough to make contested catches or lineup on the outside. If defenses wanted to key in on him, it was fairly easy to take him away. You wouldn’t have that problem with Deebo. He adds an explosive element to the middle of the field that not only drastically helps the passing game, but the run as well. It would be almost impossible to stack the box against Zeke because defenses would have to respect Deebo. Many fans have been begging for that from the TE position but a dynamic slot receiver would have the same effect. Our offense would instantly be a lot less predictable and uncreative on that alone. And as an added bonus, Deebo can just as easily play the outside if need be. If you wanted to move Cooper or Gallup to the slot, you’d have no problem doing so. We weren’t able to do that with Beasley.

Randall Cobb & Tavon Austin

Drafting Deebo instantly makes Tavon expendable. He’d even replace him as the returner and be much better suited for the jet sweeps they still want to run. It’s Cobb that offers a lot of what Deebo does, but he’s a stop-gap player. He’ll almost certainly be gone next season. It’s more than likely Deebo wouldn’t see a lot of playing time to start the year, but I’d expect him to eventually take over as the starter just as Gallup did to Hurns. At the very least, we’d have the receiver position solidified for years to come with Cooper, Gallup and Samuel, and if you’re of the belief that receivers take a year or more to acclimate themselves to the NFL, that’s the ideal situation for you.

BPA

If Deebo for some reason makes it to 58, I don’t think there should be any hesitation from the front office to take him. He would in all likelihood be the best player available and would eventually silence a lot of our long-term criticisms towards the offense. But for those completely against the idea, you’ll probably be relieved to know I don’t at all expect the team to go this direction. I think the pick will almost certainly be a safety, probably Thornhill. I would just go a different direction is all. My 2¢ ✌️

Sydla

Reaction score
A second round pick on a slot WR who might not even start as a rookie?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ok that’s two years in a row you lobby for a wr, I’m sensing a trend here.. Did u play wr in school or something? :D

By the way, kudos for the work. You had me convinced last year on that guy Carolina drafted, can’t think of his name now...:huh:

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn't be going into the draft with him in mind at 58. But I wouldn't mind it if things turned out that way due to most of the defenders we like are taken. In other words, I'd pick Deebo over a DT like Willis.

mcduff

Reaction score
(I’d love to make a case for the 6’5”, 227 lbs, 4.48 40 time Hakeem Butler, but since the Cowboys haven’t shown any interest that I’m aware of, I’ll keep the conversation about my other pet cat, Deebo Samuel.)

Deebo, the player

For me, debating players isn’t all that interesting. You’ll either agree with me that Deebo is a very good receiver, or you won’t. There won’t be anything I can show or tell you that will change your mind. That’s why I find philosophical debates to be far more entertaining. But for reference, just know I’m high on Deebo because his hands are great, he has the body control to make contested catches, he’s a solid route runner with explosive football speed, he’s very difficult to bring down after the catch, and he plays with a dawg mentality.

Receiver vs Safety

Right off the bat, I know the first holdup for many people is the need at safety. I don’t believe Jeff Heath should be a starter either, but to keep it in perspective, the safety position didn’t cost the team any games last year, receiver consistently was. The Cooper trade obviously did a great deal to alleviate the issue, but the offense still had its share of putrid performances even after he arrived.

Before Cooper:
8 @ Carolina
20 vs New York
13 @ Seattle
16 vs Houston
17 @ Washington

After Cooper:
14 vs Tennessee
22 @ Atlanta
13 vs New Orleans
0 @ Indianapolis
22 @ Los Angeles

Offense vs Defense

So, which unit has more pressing needs, offense or defense? The general consensus among the fans and around the league last year was Dallas had one of the best defenses in the NFL, top five to many, and they were carrying the offense for a great majority of the season. Even in the seven games they lost, the defense still held the opponents to 16, 24, 19 (OT), 20, 28, 23, and 30 points. An average offense would have won at least four of those.

Dallas’ Offense:
22nd in PTS/G
22nd in YDS/G
23rd in PYDS/G
10th in RYDS/G

Dallas’ Defense:
6th in PTS/G
7th in YDS/G
13th PYDS/G
5th in RYDS/G

Last year, the defense was top 10, the offense was bottom 10. Those numbers look even uglier with context as we’re in an offensive-driven league. We’re in the era of elite QB play and explosive, dynamic offenses. Defenses winning championships has become the very rare exception, not the rule. Look at the Broncos, Bucs and Ravens. It’s not a coincidence that the truly elite defenses that do win a championship once every blue moon are never again serious contenders after that. It goes completely against the grain to rely on your defense. In today’s NFL, it behooves you to overload your QB with weapons and make your offense as dangerous as possible. It’s as easy as asking yourself, do you feel more comfortable betting on the Bears, Ravens or Jaguars to win the Super Bowl, or you taking the Chiefs, Rams or Patriots to win it all? I want Dallas in that last group of teams.

For the sake of argument, let’s say Cooper & Gallup never suffer an injury, nor need a breather, and our coaches are small minded enough to limit Deebo to only being a slot receiver...he’s still worth the pick. Beasley’s jump in production with Dak at QB just shows how important the position is to him. The problem Beasley presented is he was a very limited player. He didn’t offer much of anything past his handful of underneath routes. What he did do, he did well, but he wasn’t explosive enough to attack the field on deep or intermediate routes, and he wasn’t physical enough to make contested catches or lineup on the outside. If defenses wanted to key in on him, it was fairly easy to take him away. You wouldn’t have that problem with Deebo. He adds an explosive element to the middle of the field that not only drastically helps the passing game, but the run as well. It would be almost impossible to stack the box against Zeke because defenses would have to respect Deebo. Many fans have been begging for that from the TE position but a dynamic slot receiver would have the same effect. Our offense would instantly be a lot less predictable and uncreative on that alone. And as an added bonus, Deebo can just as easily play the outside if need be. If you wanted to move Cooper or Gallup to the slot, you’d have no problem doing so. We weren’t able to do that with Beasley.

Drafting Deebo instantly makes Tavon expendable. He’d even replace him as the returner and be much better suited for the jet sweeps they still want to run. It’s Cobb that offers a lot of what Deebo does, but he’s a stop-gap player. He’ll almost certainly be gone next season. It’s more than likely Deebo wouldn’t see a lot of playing time to start the year, but I’d expect him to eventually take over as the starter just as Gallup did to Hurns. At the very least, we’d have the receiver position solidified for years to come with Cooper, Gallup and Samuel, and if you’re of the belief that receivers take a year or more to acclimate themselves to the NFL, that’s the ideal situation for you.

BPA

If Deebo for some reason makes it to 58, I don’t think there should be any hesitation from the front office to take him. He would in all likelihood be the best player available and would eventually silence a lot of our long-term criticisms towards the offense. But for those completely against the idea, you’ll probably be relieved to know I don’t at all expect the team to go this direction. I think the pick will almost certainly be a safety, probably Thornhill. I would just go a different direction is all. My 2¢ ✌️
Why take him if Cobb might start this year is the same logic used we to pass on Rogers, Montana, and Marino. The good teams get the best players, it’s all about talent acquisition.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Deebo, the player

Receiver vs Safety

Before Cooper:
8 @ Carolina
20 vs New York
13 @ Seattle
16 vs Houston
17 @ Washington

After Cooper:
14 vs Tennessee
22 @ Atlanta
13 vs New Orleans
0 @ Indianapolis
22 @ Los Angeles

Offense vs Defense

Dallas’ Offense:
22nd in PTS/G
22nd in YDS/G
23rd in PYDS/G
10th in RYDS/G

Dallas’ Defense:
6th in PTS/G
7th in YDS/G
13th PYDS/G
5th in RYDS/G

BPA

I don’t agree about “defenses don’t win championships anymore” but I agree with Deebo at #58.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys don't show any interest in Hakeem Butler is for the same reason they don't show interest in Nick Bosa.
We have no shot at getting either one.

I'm a BPA guy so if Deebo is BPA then I will have no problem taking him.
I am hoping one of the top TEs are still on the board .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Deebo is the best player on the board the Cowboys should pick him. I think he will go earlier then 58 but you never know.

He'll probably fall within a group of about the same value. If he does, then I go with either DL or S.

My reasoning is two-fold. First, I believe the defense is close to elite. Second, I don't think a Garrett-coach offense will ever be elite. I think it can be very good with the right players, but will always have things that Garrett believes in that will hold it back. A top 10 defense with a very good offense might be enough to make us more than just a playoff team, but I think we have a better shot with one unit being among the best in the game.

Now, since we're drafting at 58, I don't know if we can get the type of player there to make the defense make another step up the ladder, so going offense isn't going to bother me.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Ok that’s two years in a row you lobby for a wr, I’m sensing a trend here.. Did u play wr in school or something? :D

By the way, kudos for the work. You had me convinced last year on that guy Carolina drafted, can’t think of his name now...:huh:
Yep, you’re thinking of D.J. Moore. They’re actually kind of similar. I’d say Moore is harder to tackle but Deebo is better at making contested catches.

And if I had played, it would have been WR lol I would have been one of them 6’4”, bad route runners that constantly trash talked and caught every jump ball thrown my way :laugh:

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys don't show any interest in Hakeem Butler is for the same reason they don't show interest in Nick Bosa.
We have no shot at getting either one.

I'm a BPA guy so if Deebo is BPA then I will have no problem taking him.
I am hoping one of the top TEs are still on the board .
Butler is expected to go somewhere in the second round. He’s still being disrespected in a lot of WR rankings as well. I don’t think it’s all that implausible that he’d be there at 58. I just can’t see us taking him even if he were, which is unfortunate.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

But you’ve got no objection using a future 1st round pick on a player (Simmons) that won’t even play for you this year?

At least Deebo could instantly contribute when called on this year. Not to mention there’s always injuries that put the depth chart in flux. I wouldn’t just assume he couldn’t beat out Cobb either in training camp or by midseason for the starter at slot.

The Cowboys paid Hurns to be the #1 heading into last season. By the end of it we traded for a real #1 in Cooper and our 3rd round rookie (Gallup) had displaced Hurns. So clearly, the team is not adverse to changing course.

*Cobb was signed for less (1YR/$4.5M + incentives) than what Hurns was signed for.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score

This...I can’t take a slot WR at 58 when I KNOW the history of the draft tells me I can get a good ones in rounds 5 and on.

Also...careful with the offense vs defense stats...a lot of that is on the QB which is a whole different debate.

Sydla

Reaction score
But you’ve got no objection using a future 1st round pick on a player (Simmons) that won’t even play for you this year?

At least Deebo could instantly contribute when called on this year. Not to mention there’s always injuries that put the depth chart in flux. I wouldn’t just assume he couldn’t beat out Cobb either in training camp or by midseason for the starter at slot.

The Cowboys paid Hurns to be the #1 heading into last season. By the end of it we traded for a real #1 in Cooper and our 3rd round rookie (Gallup) had displaced Hurns. So clearly, the team is not adverse to changing course.

*Cobb was signed for less (1YR/$4.5M + incentives) than what Hurns was signed for.

I never said I would use a first round pick on Simmons or trade into the first to get him. In that hot take thread all I said was I like the idea of Simmons here. I said in other threads I would take him at 58 though.

He’s a top 10 talent at a more important position than slot WR.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Also...careful with the offense vs defense stats...a lot of that is on the QB which is a whole different debate.
Of course he deserves some blame, but how much?

7 Games Before Cooper:
202 YDS/G
8 PTD
4 INT
62% CMP%
6.9 YDS/A
87.4 PR
43% WIN%

9 Games After Cooper:
274 YDS/G
14 PTD
4 INT
71% CMP%
7.7 YDS/A
103.0 PR
78% WIN%

As soon as we gave Dak a competent receiver he became one of the best, most consistent, most winningest QBs in the league. Why shouldn’t we believe giving him Deebo at his favorite position to throw to won’t yield similar results?