My concerns entering this season

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My first full season, as I recall, as a Cowboys fan was 2000 (I think I had a few games in 1999 as a fan when I discovered the game). This is about my 24th or 25th season as a fan. I've calculated the Cowboys win loss record (and the playoffs) since 2000. During that time, the Cowboys have won 210 games and lost 177 games. This is a winning percentage of around 1.19%. The playoffs win percentage is 4% as I've seen 4 playoff wins and 10 losses in the playoffs as a fan. My first few full seasons were our 5-11 seasons. Normally, I enter seasons with feelings of hope, nerves, and excitement. This season, I must admit that I sense danger in the air for the Cowboys. Allow me to explain.

As I stated before, my first full season was a 5-11 season. I remember those years with dread, despair, and a feeling of never wanting to enter that sequence again. At that time, I felt that we would never even be good. Can you blame my younger self at that time? All I knew was the Eagles (my family's team) would demolish us and that I would only see 5-11 for those 3 years. So, it was with great excitement when I first saw us make the playoffs in 2003 under Parcells. It seemed like Parcells fixed the issues that led us to 5-11 by the time he left.

This brings on my concerns entering the season. Not necessarily for this season, but the future. My concern is that Jerry's ego has caused an air of danger that has me thinking that he's broken what Parcells fixed. Somehow, we seem to be on the precipice of disaster. It seems that, with a poor QB class in 2025, we may be heading back to the realm of being QBless. We have a WR that may leave, so does that mean we go for another Galloway? What about Parsons? Does he leave? We have a very good coach, but would Jerry want another experienced coach? Also, if we are to rebuild after this season, who will be the owner when it's done? Jerry's 82. Stephen seems like a moron. So, will we have the personnel to even be relevant

It feels like we are on a razors edge. It feels like we could be heading back to 2000 with this team, and who knows how we would even get back to relevance. I hope this is a great season. I'd love to see us finally in the NFC Championship. I've never seen us there. I think the team can do that. But then, it feels like a team that's on the precipice of implosion. It feels like the stars on this team are not exactly on good terms. It feels like a team that could implode massively like 2010. If that happens, what's next? Where do the Cowboys go from there?

So, basically, while I'm excited and hoping for a great season as always. I can't help but feel concern for the future of this team if things go pear shaped this season. I just hope there's a good plan in place so we don't enter a longer version of 2000-2002. I dread the thought of that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My first full season, as I recall, as a Cowboys fan was 2000 (I think I had a few games in 1999 as a fan when I discovered the game). This is about my 24th or 25th season as a fan. I've calculated the Cowboys win loss record (and the playoffs) since 2000. During that time, the Cowboys have won 210 games and lost 177 games. This is a winning percentage of around 1.19%. The playoffs win percentage is 4% as I've seen 4 playoff wins and 10 losses in the playoffs as a fan. My first few full seasons were our 5-11 seasons. Normally, I enter seasons with feelings of hope, nerves, and excitement. This season, I must admit that I sense danger in the air for the Cowboys. Allow me to explain.

As I stated before, my first full season was a 5-11 season. I remember those years with dread, despair, and a feeling of never wanting to enter that sequence again. At that time, I felt that we would never even be good. Can you blame my younger self at that time? All I knew was the Eagles (my family's team) would demolish us and that I would only see 5-11 for those 3 years. So, it was with great excitement when I first saw us make the playoffs in 2003 under Parcells. It seemed like Parcells fixed the issues that led us to 5-11 by the time he left.

This brings on my concerns entering the season. Not necessarily for this season, but the future. My concern is that Jerry's ego has caused an air of danger that has me thinking that he's broken what Parcells fixed. Somehow, we seem to be on the precipice of disaster. It seems that, with a poor QB class in 2025, we may be heading back to the realm of being QBless. We have a WR that may leave, so does that mean we go for another Galloway? What about Parsons? Does he leave? We have a very good coach, but would Jerry want another experienced coach? Also, if we are to rebuild after this season, who will be the owner when it's done? Jerry's 82. Stephen seems like a moron. So, will we have the personnel to even be relevant

It feels like we are on a razors edge. It feels like we could be heading back to 2000 with this team, and who knows how we would even get back to relevance. I hope this is a great season. I'd love to see us finally in the NFC Championship. I've never seen us there. I think the team can do that. But then, it feels like a team that's on the precipice of implosion. It feels like the stars on this team are not exactly on good terms. It feels like a team that could implode massively like 2010. If that happens, what's next? Where do the Cowboys go from there?

So, basically, while I'm excited and hoping for a great season as always. I can't help but feel concern for the future of this team if things go pear shaped this season. I just hope there's a good plan in place so we don't enter a longer version of 2000-2002. I dread the thought of that.

Also, I'm concerned about our coaching. Who coaches us after McCarthy? I'd be okay with Zimmer, but is that what Jerry wants? We have an owner who, like his mentor Al Davis, may not see through a reclamation project. Then what does Stephen do? Suppose he's as bad as the current Raiders owner? Things feel......dangerous for the future beyond this season.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I really hope the next coach is not a Zimmer or any other retread. I want to do what the Texans did (just threw up in my mouth a little) and go get a young and up and coming coach like Ryans and pair him with a talented young QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I really hope the next coach is not a Zimmer or any other retread. I want to do what the Texans did (just threw up in my mouth a little) and go get a young and up and coming coach like Ryans and pair him with a talented young QB.

I wonder, perhaps it might be wise to see if there's a former player that's coaching that might be good? Not saying go Jason Garrett mode, but maybe someone like Travis Frederick or Sean Lee would be a good option? I'd love fo Sean Lee to be brought on as a LB coach. I think he could make a good HC.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
My continued concern is with our DT and RB positions!!
My biggest worry is that lack of running game is going to force us to be facing 3rd and longs too much. Teams are going to be playing to that, and the Cowboys will be forced into being one dimensional.

This can further get compounded by our defense not being able to stop the run which will force the offense to go even more pass heavy if they fall behind.

I just can't see what we've got on the roster for RB and DT being able to compete. I suspect that Jerry will be forced into a panic trade for a RB to try and save the season if the Cowboys get off to a shaky start.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I wonder, perhaps it might be wise to see if there's a former player that's coaching that might be good? Not saying go Jason Garrett mode, but maybe someone like Travis Frederick or Sean Lee would be a good option? I'd love fo Sean Lee to be brought on as a LB coach. I think he could make a good HC.
I'd look for one of the best current OC or DC coordinators. Raid the Chiefs for a coach, or the 49ers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My biggest worry is that lack of running game is going to force us to be facing 3rd and longs too much. Teams are going to be playing to that, and the Cowboys will be forced into being one dimensional.

This can further get compounded by our defense not being able to stop the run which will force the offense to go even more pass heavy if they fall behind.

I just can't see what we've got on the roster for RB and DT being able to compete. I suspect that Jerry will be forced into a panic trade for a RB to try and save the season if the Cowboys get off to a shaky start.
The two biggest keys of the postseason are running the ball and ability to stop the run.

Those are the weakest two areas on the team. Management either doesn’t understand this, doesn’t care, or thinks Ezekiel Elliott and a 7th round draft pick are the answers.

Hope isn’t a whole lot more than blind faith, as I’m finally convinced these two aren’t at all worried about building a team that can actually win on the field.

shabazz

Reaction score
My continued concern is with our DT and RB positions!!
I would add LB corp and offensive line as well. In both positions we've only added Kendricks who is in his 11th season or so and with the OL we are heavily dependent on young and inexperienced players.

Both OL and LB COULD turn out great but until we see it come to fruition, it's an area of concern.

Now if we acquired at least a few blue chip players at these positions like linebacker Patrick Queen or center Connor Williams, my view would be different.

We should also remember that Tyron Williams was considered the #1 FA tackle available in 2024.........and now he protects Rodgers

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The two biggest keys of the postseason are running the ball and ability to stop the run.

Those are the weakest two areas on the team. Management either doesn’t understand this, doesn’t care, or thinks Ezekiel Elliott and a 7th round draft pick are the answers.

Hope isn’t a whole lot more than blind faith, as I’m finally convinced these two aren’t at all worried about building a team that can actually win on the field.

Definitely, and, especially with who we are playing this season, our success will be determined by our run game and our ability to stop the run.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My 4 in no particular order are: playoff quarterbacking, playoff coaching, running the ball and stopping the run.

I suppose to really focus in on this season, my top concerns are the following:

Team Chemistry
Running back
Stopping the run
Playoff coaching (if we make the playoffs)

I think team chemistry is going to be my biggest concern for this season. The team seemed to be at odds during the Packers game. How much of that will continue? If the team is at odds, then how can they be successful? They'll start going at each other's throats, and then you have 2020 all over again where it's basically 11 players with the Cowboys name on them as opposed to being a team with 11 players. If this falls apart, which I am concerned it might, we may not even make the playoffs. We may not even make .500.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would add LB corp and offensive line as well. In both positions we've only added Kendricks who is in his 11th season or so and with the OL we are heavily dependent on young and inexperienced players.

Both OL and LB COULD turn out great but until we see it come to fruition, it's an area of concern.

Now if we acquired at least a few blue chip players at these positions like linebacker Patrick Queen or center Connor Williams, my view would be different.

We should also remember that Tyron Williams was considered the #1 FA tackle available in 2024.........and now he protects Rogers

We should also remember that Tyron Williams was considered the #1 FA tackle available in 2024.........and now he protects Rodgers
I assume you mean Tyron Smith....not Williams.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
My biggest concern was this past offseason when Jerry kept MM as HC and held onto DQ when he should have also been fired soon as the season ended. Jerry should have gone after the Ravens DC MacDonald to be his new HC and let him bring in his assistants. You start with your coaches first and then work through them to decide which players you keep, cut, trade, or extend. That’ll what a REAL GM would do. Then really go all in.

Needless to say, Jerry flunked the test. All this other crap is just spraying Febreze and thinking you cleaned the whole house. Crap still all over. Don’t mean to burst your bubbles, but that’s the truth.

75boyz

Reaction score
I suppose to really focus in on this season, my top concerns are the following:

Team Chemistry
Running back
Stopping the run
Playoff coaching (if we make the playoffs)

I think team chemistry is going to be my biggest concern for this season. The team seemed to be at odds during the Packers game. How much of that will continue? If the team is at odds, then how can they be successful? They'll start going at each other's throats, and then you have 2020 all over again where it's basically 11 players with the Cowboys name on them as opposed to being a team with 11 players. If this falls apart, which I am concerned it might, we may not even make the playoffs. We may not even make .500.
Yep.
Well said.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

All the negativity here has clouded many’s thinking which is to be expected. Meanwhile Vegas has Dallas at about 70% chance of making the playoffs. And if you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win it all. And every team has question marks. Don’t think going into the season with Dowdle and Zeke as your main RB’s is a huge one.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
My concerns is almost the same as last year but adding offensive tackles to the list.

Concerns:
  • Stopping the run
  • Running back position being subpar as a whole
  • OT's. Steele was bad last year and we either have a rookie or Chuma (who was terrible last year).

Hadenough

Reaction score
You might be on to something! I really think Dak is dividing the locker room. We already know how Parsons felt two years ago. Now CeeDee is hating on him too. The whole team could implode if Dak gets paid and Lamb and Micah don't.