My concerns entering this season

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I'd look for one of the best current OC or DC coordinators. Raid the Chiefs for a coach, or the 49ers.
I think the def coordinator of the Rams, Chris Shula, is a name to watch the next couple of cycles. Football family and several years on McVay's staff, coaching various positions on the D and is now the coordinator. We will see how he does, of course, but I think he is someone I would consider.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My first full season, as I recall, as a Cowboys fan was 2000 (I think I had a few games in 1999 as a fan when I discovered the game). This is about my 24th or 25th season as a fan. I've calculated the Cowboys win loss record (and the playoffs) since 2000. During that time, the Cowboys have won 210 games and lost 177 games. This is a winning percentage of around 1.19%. The playoffs win percentage is 4% as I've seen 4 playoff wins and 10 losses in the playoffs as a fan. My first few full seasons were our 5-11 seasons. Normally, I enter seasons with feelings of hope, nerves, and excitement. This season, I must admit that I sense danger in the air for the Cowboys. Allow me to explain.

As I stated before, my first full season was a 5-11 season. I remember those years with dread, despair, and a feeling of never wanting to enter that sequence again. At that time, I felt that we would never even be good. Can you blame my younger self at that time? All I knew was the Eagles (my family's team) would demolish us and that I would only see 5-11 for those 3 years. So, it was with great excitement when I first saw us make the playoffs in 2003 under Parcells. It seemed like Parcells fixed the issues that led us to 5-11 by the time he left.

This brings on my concerns entering the season. Not necessarily for this season, but the future. My concern is that Jerry's ego has caused an air of danger that has me thinking that he's broken what Parcells fixed. Somehow, we seem to be on the precipice of disaster. It seems that, with a poor QB class in 2025, we may be heading back to the realm of being QBless. We have a WR that may leave, so does that mean we go for another Galloway? What about Parsons? Does he leave? We have a very good coach, but would Jerry want another experienced coach? Also, if we are to rebuild after this season, who will be the owner when it's done? Jerry's 82. Stephen seems like a moron. So, will we have the personnel to even be relevant

It feels like we are on a razors edge. It feels like we could be heading back to 2000 with this team, and who knows how we would even get back to relevance. I hope this is a great season. I'd love to see us finally in the NFC Championship. I've never seen us there. I think the team can do that. But then, it feels like a team that's on the precipice of implosion. It feels like the stars on this team are not exactly on good terms. It feels like a team that could implode massively like 2010. If that happens, what's next? Where do the Cowboys go from there?

So, basically, while I'm excited and hoping for a great season as always. I can't help but feel concern for the future of this team if things go pear shaped this season. I just hope there's a good plan in place so we don't enter a longer version of 2000-2002. I dread the thought of that.
Don't worry, be happy !!

Seriously though, as fans we want linear improvements from one year to the next and it just ain't in the cards. I'm hoping for some big wins over hated rivals, competitive games and new star players emerging. That's about the best we can get around here. Unless they tank or Jerry already has belichick on speed dial I think MM returns.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All the negativity here has clouded many’s thinking which is to be expected. Meanwhile Vegas has Dallas at about 70% chance of making the playoffs. And if you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win it all. And every team has question marks. Don’t think going into the season with Dowdle and Zeke as your main RB’s is a huge one.

Yeah, that is a huge question mark.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don't worry, be happy !!

Seriously though, as fans we want linear improvements from one year to the next and it just ain't in the cards. I'm hoping for some big wins over hated rivals, competitive games and new star players emerging. That's about the best we can get around here. Unless they tank or Jerry already has belichick on speed dial I think MM returns.

I'm fine with McCarthy returning. I think he's a solid coach. I think he's significantly better than what we had in Garrett. That said, I dread the 5-11 days.

Chasing6

Reaction score
My first full season, as I recall, as a Cowboys fan was 2000 (I think I had a few games in 1999 as a fan when I discovered the game). This is about my 24th or 25th season as a fan. I've calculated the Cowboys win loss record (and the playoffs) since 2000. During that time, the Cowboys have won 210 games and lost 177 games. This is a winning percentage of around 1.19%. The playoffs win percentage is 4% as I've seen 4 playoff wins and 10 losses in the playoffs as a fan. My first few full seasons were our 5-11 seasons. Normally, I enter seasons with feelings of hope, nerves, and excitement. This season, I must admit that I sense danger in the air for the Cowboys. Allow me to explain.

As I stated before, my first full season was a 5-11 season. I remember those years with dread, despair, and a feeling of never wanting to enter that sequence again. At that time, I felt that we would never even be good. Can you blame my younger self at that time? All I knew was the Eagles (my family's team) would demolish us and that I would only see 5-11 for those 3 years. So, it was with great excitement when I first saw us make the playoffs in 2003 under Parcells. It seemed like Parcells fixed the issues that led us to 5-11 by the time he left.

This brings on my concerns entering the season. Not necessarily for this season, but the future. My concern is that Jerry's ego has caused an air of danger that has me thinking that he's broken what Parcells fixed. Somehow, we seem to be on the precipice of disaster. It seems that, with a poor QB class in 2025, we may be heading back to the realm of being QBless. We have a WR that may leave, so does that mean we go for another Galloway? What about Parsons? Does he leave? We have a very good coach, but would Jerry want another experienced coach? Also, if we are to rebuild after this season, who will be the owner when it's done? Jerry's 82. Stephen seems like a moron. So, will we have the personnel to even be relevant

It feels like we are on a razors edge. It feels like we could be heading back to 2000 with this team, and who knows how we would even get back to relevance. I hope this is a great season. I'd love to see us finally in the NFC Championship. I've never seen us there. I think the team can do that. But then, it feels like a team that's on the precipice of implosion. It feels like the stars on this team are not exactly on good terms. It feels like a team that could implode massively like 2010. If that happens, what's next? Where do the Cowboys go from there?

So, basically, while I'm excited and hoping for a great season as always. I can't help but feel concern for the future of this team if things go pear shaped this season. I just hope there's a good plan in place so we don't enter a longer version of 2000-2002. I dread the thought of that.
Your math is not mathing, but I get your point.

4 playoff wins out of 14 games is 28.6%.

4% is 4 wins out of 100 playoff games, or 2 out of 50, or 1 out of 25.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You might be on to something! I really think Dak is dividing the locker room. We already know how Parsons felt two years ago. Now CeeDee is hating on him too. The whole team could implode if Dak gets paid and Lamb and Micah don't.

It's not so much Dak as Jerry imo. It almost seems like the entire organisation from the owner to the fans are at great odds with each other. The players seem up against each other. The fan base is annoyed at Jerry and has been making it more vocal. Jerry seems at odds with the fanbase. Or at least, it's how it appears. It's strange and just had a 2000 feel to it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Your math is not mathing, but I get your point.

4 playoff wins out of 14 games is 28.6%.

4% is 4 wins out of 100 playoff games, or 2 out of 50, or 1 out of 25.

Yeah, but the point is, the fact that I've seen 4 while playoff wins in my fanhood while many of you have seen the mountain top is shocking.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I really hope the next coach is not a Zimmer or any other retread. I want to do what the Texans did (just threw up in my mouth a little) and go get a young and up and coming coach like Ryans and pair him with a talented young QB.
As long as the Jones boys own this team, l don't see much changing. Ask yourselves what's the common factor here since Jimmy left? We ALL know it's the Jones'. I'd love to wake up one morning and see the headline, "Jerry Jones selling Cowboys."

Chasing6

Reaction score
As long as the Jones boys own this team, l don't see much changing. Ask yourselves what's the common factor here since Jimmy left? We ALL know it's the Jones'. I'd love to wake up one morning and see the headline, "Jerry Jones selling Cowboys."
I know our fans don't want to here this, but Jerry is in the entertainment business and in his mind he believes he is winning the SB every year.

Funny thing about TV ratings that Jerry loves, is half the fans watching the cowboys are watching because they hate the cowboys.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Rusty , looks like you started during those awful Campo years , it was a tough time to be fair. LOL

Jerry finally broke the mold and broughtin Parcells , but still couldnt stop meddling , T .O. was prime example.

But after Parcells retired ,Jerry wentback to his own ways , bringing JG as OC, then making him HC , losing 10-15 years, sigh !

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Rusty , looks like you started during those awful Campo years , it was a tough time to be fair. LOL

Jerry finally broke the mold and broughtin Parcells , but still couldnt stop meddling , T .O. was prime example.

But after Parcells retired ,Jerry wentback to his own ways , bringing JG as OC, then making him HC , losing 10-15 years, sigh !

Yeah, that was around when I started haha. Not exactly a great starting point. At least he has McCarthy now, who I think is better than JG, but he seems...... different. He used to be all in in the sense that he'd take chances. Now, he doesn't do much. I know he probably is too old for a true rebuild, but he's walking right into one if he's not careful. It's almost like things are going full circle in that sense. I don't know if that makes sense.