My Cowboys Draft Wish List (So Far)

adam3313

Reaction score
Hey all.

Just reading about the Senior Bowl coverage, and looking at where we have picks this year, here are a few guys I would be thrilled with.

Round 1:

Mike Iuputi, Guard, Idaho

Lots of reports saying Cowboys have a lot of interest. Fits right in with our OL strategy, and may be able to step in within 0-1 years at LG.

Round 2:

Nate Allen, Free Safety, USF

Mike Jenkins' former college teammate, Allen would be a welcome addition in the secondary. Some have bashed Ken Hamlin, and with the contract he has it is somewhat deserving, but I feel Allen could really help our secondary, as Jenkins has.

Round 3:

Dexter McCluster, WR/RB/KR, Ole Miss

Maybe a bit early, but McCluster played well in the Cotton Bowl, and is making noise at the Senior Bowl. He's the flashy returner we desperately need, as well as showing potential as a great slot receiver. He reminds me of DeSean Jackson, as they have similar measurables out of college. He just makes too much sense as another weapon for our offense.

Round 4:

Ciron Black, OT, LSU

Was a 3rd Team All-American this year at LSU, and has logged 53 consecutive starts on the line. You've gotta love that experience. He's not athletic enough to be the left tackle, but looks like he could be a dominant right tackle. Has a good frame, and could be a real find a little later in the draft.

Round 5 (I know we don't have a 5th due to the Holland trade, but maybe we'll pick up a comp pick along the way?):

Myron Rolle, SS, FSU

Definitely a risky pick being he has been out of football for a year to take the opportunity to be a Rhodes scholar, but has stayed in shape. Played well in 3 years at FSU, and was a top prospect coming into college. Late enough to take a risk on a player who played well in the secondary, and it can't hurt to have someone with his intelligence on the football field.

Round 6:

Darryl Sharpton, ILB, Miami

I don't know much about him, but from reading scouting reports, he could be the faster ILB we have been looking for our defense. Had 8.5 TFLs from the MLB position, as well as 105 tackles, earning 2nd team All-ACC honors. Maybe a bit too late to get him here, as he is projected around 4-5, but would be a welcome addition this late.

Round 7:

John Conner, FB, Kentucky

FB may not be a need, but this late in the draft I'd love the boys to take a look at Conner. Is a great blocker, got added to the Senior Bowl, and really is underrated as both a runner and receiver. Could fill in as the new goal-line back if Barber is out, as many people believe.

UDFA Targets:

Daryll Clark, QB, PSU

More of a homer pick being a PSU graduate, but the Cowboys always seem to add a QB as an UDFA to take to camp, and I'd like to see what they could do with Clark. He had two good years as the starter, and has some mobility. Plus, it would be nice to have a Penn Stater as a Cowboys for once.

Armanti Edwards, WR/QB, Appalachian State

This kid was a legend after he beat Michigan a few years ago. Led his team to multiple (?) NCAA FCS title games, and is an explosive player. Has a decent arm, and could contribute to the team as a true wildcat RB.

AJ Jefferson, CB, Fresno State

Kick Return threat, as well as a project at corner. Definitely could be a factor on special teams though.

Kade Weston, NT, Georgia

Had solid numbers for a NT in 2009, and has a massive frame that could allow him to be a great reserve behind Rat.

I'm sure there are many more out there, but I feel like these players, if available, would really improve this team. Although, I prepare for draft day to come along, and for Jerry to trade away picks, and take guys I've never heard of before...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Armanti Edwards may get picked late, but you can be sure that he'll eventually make an impact somehow.

Reaction score
I doubt that:
Iupati won't be there in the 1st - on many teams radar
Allen wont be there in the 2nd
Mccluster wont be there in the 3rd - especially after a huge week
Rolle wont be there in the 5th

although I like where your heading with the picks. If somehow they do fall that would be a picture perfect draft.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3257715 said:
I doubt that:
Iupati won't be there in the 1st - on many teams radar
Allen wont be there in the 2nd
Mccluster wont be there in the 3rd - especially after a huge week
Rolle wont be there in the 5th

although I like where your heading with the picks. If somehow they do fall that would be a picture perfect draft.

This.

I'd like to see what we have in M Hamlin before spending a high pick on a safety unless of course one falls to us unexpectedly.

I'd take McCluster in the second round. He probably will go earlier than we pick in the second though. He won't be around in the third for sure. He's a scrapper.

adam3313

Reaction score
like i said, this is picture perfect in my view. I'd like to see us actually hold on to our first round pick, and make a selection. It worked out in 2008 for us with both of the firsts. Hopefully, GM Jerry makes the right selections. Would not be mad at all to see us make a fair trade up to get Iuputi if hes in the late teens.