My credit score improved!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've had about 20 credit cards during my adult life, both Visa and Mastercard. lol! I am old enough to remember the latter still going by the name Master Charge! :p:(

Anyhoo, it still amuses me how I have been turned down by only one card issuer over the years: Citibank. In fact, they dissed me two or three times. Obviously, they do not think I am credit worthy for their little rectangular piece of plastic. Cool but has it ever stopped them from mailing pre-approved offers? Multiple times a month? Noooooo.

That's cool too. I started collecting the mail offers nine or so years ago after the last rejection. Just stared tossing them into a drawer after I got them.

Why? One day I will stuff all the unopened envelopes into a big USPS priority box and mail it to Citibank, along with a cover letter that says, "STOP MAILING ME OFFERS FOR A CARD YOU WILL NEVER ISSUE <EXPLETIVES>!" In big 144-pt font.

Yeah. That will probably prompt them into wasting 10x the paper and postage they have mailed up to now. haha. :facepalm:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My new score is:

"Sure, why not? We'll give you a high-interest credit card. Have fun shopping."
There are plenty of options if you want a low interest card. Take one of those and only use it for emergencies. Makes it easier to pay off the balance each money so basically you don't pay any interest at all.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
There are plenty of options if you want a low interest card. Take one of those and only use it for emergencies. Makes it easier to pay off the balance each money so basically you don't pay any interest at all.
I qualified for a Visa card with a $1500 credit line and about 20% interest. Their original ad had said the interest rate would be somewhere between 15 and 30 percent. Frankly, I've avoided having any credit card debt for years. When I had to have my car fixed, I qualified for the autoshop's credit card, and charged $700 of the $1100 bill. I've paid that one down to about $350.

I don't want to end up with a ton of credit card debt. It's a problem for a lot of Americans who just don't make enough to afford the lifestyle that they want, so they supplement their income via credit card dept. So they charge, charge, charge until they can barely afford to pay the interest. Bad idea.

Frankly, the main reason I want this card is for family emergencies. Some years back, I missed my own grandmother's funeral simply because I was so destitute, I could not afford a plane ticket to the North-Eastern state where she was from, and I couldn't even afford to take time off work to drive or Greyhound across the country. Now with my job and credit situation improved some, if someone dies, I'll buy a plane ticket with that credit card, and then pay it off as soon as I possibly can.

I should have my auto-repair shop credit card paid down to zero in a couple months. For this new credit card, I'll probably buy just a few, in expensive items with it that I can pay off quickly. I've heard that's actually better for your credit than to simply always keep all your cards at zero. Need some Cascade dish gel and cleaning wipes at the supermarket? Put'em on that credit card, and pay it off with the very next bill. I've heard it's better to do that. Is that correct?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It improved because of that auto loan. Get you a low-interest credit card and keep a 10-15% balance on it, don’t pay off completely each month. You can also get an AMEX, spend around $50 a month and pay it off with no interest.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should have my auto-repair shop credit card paid down to zero in a couple months. For this new credit card, I'll probably buy just a few, in expensive items with it that I can pay off quickly. I've heard that's actually better for your credit than to simply always keep all your cards at zero. Need some Cascade dish gel and cleaning wipes at the supermarket? Put'em on that credit card, and pay it off with the very next bill. I've heard it's better to do that. Is that correct?
Yes. I charge everything. Even a loaf of bread. Gas, food, eating out, clothes, car repair, travel. Doesn't matter - everything. I get a % back on what I charge so I take advantage of it. Then pay off the bill in full when it comes. I haven't paid any interest charges in probably 20 years. Yet I have got thousands of reward money in return.