My Dallas Cowboys/Mother's Day Story..

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
it was just after the Cowboys won the 92 Super Bowl.. Some of the Cowboys-- Emmitt, Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jimmie Jones, and a few others-- did a charity basketball thing for Jerry's Kids.. basically, they went to a few cities and played basketball against some fans and all the proceeds went to Jerry's Kids.. well, it was announced that the Boys were coming to Oklahoma City and the first 10 people that paid $100 each would get to be on the team that played against the Boys.. well, even though I was only 16 and working as a bag boy at the grocery store, I jumped at the chance and took my money up there so I could be a part of this deal.. playing basketball against the Cowboys?! heck yeah! so anyways, the original date ended up getting changed because Jimmy Johnson called some meeting or something or other.. well, the new date just happened to fall on Mother's Day..

so the big day comes, and I am so excited.. my whole family comes to watch, and the gym is completely packed.. (thats where they made most of the money for Jerry's Kids-- it was like $3 or something to come and watch).. so anyways, the main reason I did this whole thing was to meet Emmitt.. he was my favorite player, but more importantly, he was my hero.. he was my hero because he was such a great player, but more importantly, he was my hero because he was such a great PERSON.. so anyways, before the game started, I told my family, "watch Emmitt not show up cause he is such a good guy, he is probably gonna go home to see his mom..".. so I get there early like Im supposed to.. they have our game shirts laid out in the locker room where our team met, and of course I picked #22.. well, the Boys are running late because there was a big thunderstorm that night and their plane was delayed.. so we are warming up and I start to get really really nervous.. I am about to meet my HERO!! I am gonna be playing basketball against him!!! TV news crews were out there to film the event, and the play by play announcer for the night was one of OKC's top sports personalities, Bob Barry Jr.. so we are warming up, and I start to hit a whole bunch of threes.. Bob is trying to keep the crowd entertained, so he starts counting how many threes I make in a row.. I made seven, I'll never figure that, the crowd was cheering and stuff.. so Im starting to feel pretty good.. and then finally, the Boys show up.. there they walk into the gym, one by one.. Harper.. Jones.. Irvin (crowd goes crazy).. a few others.. my heart sinks.. no Emmitt..

so the game starts, and as bummed as I am, this is still the Dallas Cowboys and little ol me is still playing basketball with them!! so I get into the game, and who do I cover and who is covering me??? Michael Irvin!! (by the way, I should mention that I am 5'7) I'll never forget Bob Barry Jr calling the action-- "Irvin on Rahbar.. Rahbar sticking tight on Irvin..".. I remember that Alvin Harper squeezed me on the shoulder and gave me a smile.. Irvin was all class-- he was having lots of fun.. and of course, they were taking it easy on us.. (until the end-- I mean, they are the Cowboys, they gotta win!!).. so the game ends, and they win by a few buckets.. so how did I do against Mr. Irvin? well, remember all those 3s I was making in warm up? I should have saved a few.. cause even though Michael took it easy on me and gave me some wide open shots, I didnt even come close to hitting anything! I was too nervous.. I even missed a wide open layup!! embarrassing.. so the game ends, and the Boys are talking to us.. I ask Michael why Emmitt wasn't there.. and what does he say? "he went home to Florida to see his mamma for Mother's Day."... I knew it! it was a bittersweet thing for me.. I was sad cause I was looking forward to meeting him so much.. but you know what? thats the kind of thing that he does that made him my hero in the first place.. going home to see his mom on Mother's Day.. how could I be upset about that? as sad as I was, I ended up respecting him even more that day.. it was a fantastic night that I will remember for the rest of my life..

Jay

Reaction score
This is a great, great story. Thanks alot for sharing it with us.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Great story "Rahbar". I love hearing personal stories about players as it makes them more real somehow. Thanks.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Good story. That must have been quite an experience to be on the court with those guys.

I've seen a few of the Cowboys charity basketball games over the years. The best players I saw were Irvin, Billy Joe Dupree, Drew Pearson, Michael Downs and Everson Walls ... probably in that order.

Irvin had a lot of natural basketball talent. Walls was really fun to watch on defense. He had the best hand-eye coordination I've ever seen.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yeah, great story and thanks for sharing. I probably never do that, since I even detest even trying to get an autograph. Probably only athlete I might take a autograph from, if given would be Micheal Jordon and that too if there is no line to get it. Anyway, but I still like these type of stories though.

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
great story. i always thought irvin would be a great guy to meet despite his drug problems. hopefully michael has kicked those demons....

Calicowboy

Reaction score
Great story EnR! I would have paid that $100 in a minute to be on that court. One thing you will always have is a a lifetime memory of some of your favorite players. Thanks for sharing the story.

Now in an attempt to make you feel better. Last year I went to a charity B-ball game hosted by Dale Hellestrae. The Trips were featured, and Troy, Michael and Emmitt were in attendance. Troy and Michael played, Michael much better at it than Troy, but where was Emmitt.....sitting on the benches in his pricey sweats! No knock on Emmitt, but would have like to see him dribble drive!

Emmitt and Michael before the game..
http://img273.*************/img273/3257/dsc059164ra.jpg

The Trips during the game....
http://img273.*************/img273/2371/dsc059158zd.jpgsetImgWidth();

So see maybe Emmitt doesnt like to play B-ball anyways!