My draft plan for us...(realistic)

ghst187

Reaction score
Obviously this can/should change depending on what we do in FA. We SHOULD (IMO) go after Bentley or any other top C that is available. We should also at least look around at any quality FA OL. We MUST have a vet kicker. We should get a vet FS, there are tons of good ones in this draft but I'd feel better having a vet back there, plus they're usually cheap. I think these are minimums.

Draft Round 1:
1) Trade down a few spots if possible or to the top of round 2
2) LB Carpenter: exactly the kind of LB we need to fill that void, BIG, tough, mean, nasty, smart, passrushing, intimidating. We could probably still grab him if we didn't trade down too far. 18 might be a slight reach but still a good pick for us.
3) WR Santonio Holmes: Speedster that has great hands and can return kicks not to mention inject youth in our WR corps. He's a good player and the best WR in this draft IMO. Great value at 18 also if he's still there although I'm guessing philthy takes him.
4) DE/LB Manny Lawson: seems to be a better athlete than Ware and can get to the QB. May be able to give our 3-4 more disguise because we could alternate he and Ware dropping into coverage or sending after the QB so teams don't know where the blitzer is coming from. No way a RB blocks Lawson. Probably a reach at 18 but not if we trade down into late 1st or early 2nd.
5) CB/FS Michael Huff: great player with versatility, smart. Has the coverage skills on par with a CB but can play FS. Could give us more coverage disguise. Would complement Roy and Huff could also probably play some nickel since Glenn worries me.
6) C Nick Mangold: obviously depending on our FA activity...but C was where our OL started falling apart. AJ can't get it done and Mangold is the only college prospect that might be able to get it done. Definitely need to trade down to make Mangold a smart, value pick though.
7) Stay away from Watson (lazy) and Ngata (knee injuries)
8) T Marcus McNeil: Back concerns but position of need and probably best OL available when we pick.
9) FS Ko Simpson: great athlete, good S complement to us, 18 is too high for him though IMO
Round 2:
1) Move the above list down if any are still available and take the top guy off the list
2) Now add Kai Parham to this list although he's a better value pick in the third
3) WR Sinorice Moss: about time we got superfast WR named Moss
4) WR Maurice Stovall: BIG target with good hands, could surprise in the league.
5) FS Dwayne Slay: a 6'4 FS that brings it big time. I think he's fine in coverage though not great, but wow does he lay a lick. Big intimidator. I wouldn't want to run into a secondary with Slay and Roy and Davis killing people, heck even Newman.
6) G Davin Joseph: VERY good player will be overlooked i bet since he played T this year due to team needs. His position in the NFL is G though. Might go in the third round. Could give us depth and youth behind our ancient guards.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and I'll get a better list as the time gets closer but that's how I'd build my draft board right now.
I'd also love to see us pick up an extra 1st or 2nd round pick for next year to make a run at Quinn....

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Obviously this can/should change depending on what we do in FA. We SHOULD (IMO) go after Bentley or any other top C that is available. We should also at least look around at any quality FA OL. We MUST have a vet kicker. We should get a vet FS, there are tons of good ones in this draft but I'd feel better having a vet back there, plus they're usually cheap. I think these are minimums.

Draft Round 1:
1) Trade down a few spots if possible or to the top of round 2
2) LB Carpenter: exactly the kind of LB we need to fill that void, BIG, tough, mean, nasty, smart, passrushing, intimidating. We could probably still grab him if we didn't trade down too far. 18 might be a slight reach but still a good pick for us.
3) WR Santonio Holmes: Speedster that has great hands and can return kicks not to mention inject youth in our WR corps. He's a good player and the best WR in this draft IMO. Great value at 18 also if he's still there although I'm guessing philthy takes him.
4) DE/LB Manny Lawson: seems to be a better athlete than Ware and can get to the QB. May be able to give our 3-4 more disguise because we could alternate he and Ware dropping into coverage or sending after the QB so teams don't know where the blitzer is coming from. No way a RB blocks Lawson. Probably a reach at 18 but not if we trade down into late 1st or early 2nd.
5) CB/FS Michael Huff: great player with versatility, smart. Has the coverage skills on par with a CB but can play FS. Could give us more coverage disguise. Would complement Roy and Huff could also probably play some nickel since Glenn worries me.
6) C Nick Mangold: obviously depending on our FA activity...but C was where our OL started falling apart. AJ can't get it done and Mangold is the only college prospect that might be able to get it done. Definitely need to trade down to make Mangold a smart, value pick though.
7) Stay away from Watson (lazy) and Ngata (knee injuries)
8) T Marcus McNeil: Back concerns but position of need and probably best OL available when we pick.
9) FS Ko Simpson: great athlete, good S complement to us, 18 is too high for him though IMO
Round 2:
1) Move the above list down if any are still available and take the top guy off the list
2) Now add Kai Parham to this list although he's a better value pick in the third
3) WR Sinorice Moss: about time we got superfast WR named Moss
4) WR Maurice Stovall: BIG target with good hands, could surprise in the league.
5) FS Dwayne Slay: a 6'4 FS that brings it big time. I think he's fine in coverage though not great, but wow does he lay a lick. Big intimidator. I wouldn't want to run into a secondary with Slay and Roy and Davis killing people, heck even Newman.
6) G Davin Joseph: VERY good player will be overlooked i bet since he played T this year due to team needs. His position in the NFL is G though. Might go in the third round. Could give us depth and youth behind our ancient guards.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and I'll get a better list as the time gets closer but that's how I'd build my draft board right now.
I'd also love to see us pick up an extra 1st or 2nd round pick for next year to make a run at Quinn....
I would really consider putting Gabe Watson in that mix. By no means is our DT position in great shape.

parchy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would really consider putting Gabe Watson in that mix. By no means is our DT position in great shape.

It's not, but I don't think theres a whole lot the Cowboys can do right now. There is so much money tied up in Ferguson and Glover that they are forced to look elsewhere... at least for now.

fortdick

Reaction score
Can Lawson play OLB? I am too lazy to look it up!

Thanks

JPM

Reaction score
He hasn't played LB, but that didn't stop us getting Ware last year.

I would love to see Huff (Woodson part II :D ) in a Dallas uniform, but I don't think he will fall out of the top-10.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
actually, Lawson played OLB as a junior at NCState
What happened to your draft sig? It was keeping me motivated.
icon14.gif